I just want to check a few things before I start enchanting since their seems to be no recovering if you make a mistake.

1). Am I correct that item enchantments can never be removed?

2). Is it true that you can upgrade the "quality" enchantments (superb, legendary...) of an item multiple times? Those are the only enchantment that can be overwritten right?

3). I'm guessing most popular weapon enchants are: quality, lash, slayer (situational)? Preferred lash probably being lightning/corrode since they are less resisted (unless character already has bonuses to certain elements)? Preferred slayer probably being Kith or Beast?

4). Durgan-Refined is handled separately and doesn't count against enchant capacity right?

5). Anything else I should know?

1. True

2. True. You can also overwrite Accurate I, II, III and Damaging enchantments with Fine/Exceptional and so on.

3. Depends. If you have Scion of Flame you would want to take Burning Lash for example.

4. Right

5. I suppose you want to enchant a weapon. Because armor and shield have different enchantments which you didn't mention. Besides that, I think you said it all. Best slayer enchantments are those that work against enemies with high defenses. Those could be spirits for example. Wraiths, Banshees, Spectres, Shades and so on all have high defenses and are superannoying. So I think that this is the most useful slaying enchantment for 2 points. Kith is also great of course, but it's too expensive for my taste.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

1. True

2. True. You can also overwrite Accurate I, II, III and Damaging enchantments with Fine/Exceptional and so on.

3. Depends. If you have Scion of Flame you would want to take Burning Lash for example.

4. Right

5. I suppose you want to enchant a weapon. Because armor and shield have different enchantments which you didn't mention. Besides that, I think you said it all. Best slayer enchantments are those that work against enemies with high defenses. Those could be spirits for example. Wraiths, Banshees, Spectres, Shades and so on all have high defenses and are superannoying. So I think that this is the most useful slaying enchantment for 2 points. Kith is also great of course, but it's too expensive for my taste.

2a. I would take any information on which armor enchantments can be overwritten/upgraded as well.

3. Yeah that's what I was assuming. Would corrode make sense as a less resisted element? Or do most of the enemies that count have a shared elemental vulnerability (or lack of resistance).

5a). I'll take any information/suggestions about armor as well.

• 9 months later...

Is it possible to overwrite or delete a selfmade enchantment? As an example overwrite ore exchange "of intellect" on an piece of armor. If i try i only get the message "maximum enchantments reached...".

Edited by riodoro

Usually, I consider :

- Corrode to be the most reliable Lash.

- Fire is less reliable, but there are also a lot of ennemies vulnerable to it.

- Cold is resisted quite often in White Marsh.

So priority :

- Corrode

- Fire

- Electricity

- Cold

If you have an elemental talent, prioritarize it.

If you have a ranger with Stormcaller Electricity lash is very good.

Mmm no.

You can't add a lash on a souldbound weapon.

If you have stormcaller, electricity talent is very good

I know that I refer other weapons in group. Stormcaller reduce the DR electricty in target for all group.

Edited by Aranduin
  • Like 1

Is it possible to overwrite or delete a selfmade enchantment? As an example overwrite ore exchange "of intellect" on an piece of armor. If i try i only get the message "maximum enchantments reached...".

No, that's not possible. You can't delete enchantments. You can only "remove" enchantments by overwriting them.

But the only enchantments you can overwrite (be it weapon, shield or armor) are Accurate I-III, Damaging I-III and the quality enchantments Fine, Exceptional and Superb. Quality enchantments always beat Accurate I-III and Damaging I-III. And although tier III of each is actually better than Fine, Fine will overwrite them. Exceptional will overwrite them plus Fine. Superb will overwrite them plus Fine plus Exceptional and finally Legendary will overwrite all of them and can't be overwritten because there's nothing better. Well... theoretically there's also Mythic that would overwrite Legendary - but it's only possible to get special soulbound weapons to the mythic quality. You can't use it in enchantments because there are no resources for it and it's not unlocked in the enchantment GUI.

Therefore the amor enchantment you mentioned (of intellect) is permanent. Sadly a INT+1 enchantment can't be overwritten with INT+2. At least last time I checked. Maybe that changed, but I doubt it. I would be happy if I'm wrong. :)

Edited by Boeroer

As a rule I only enchant unique items as I think it's a waste of time and resources enchanting anything else, especially base items. However it's good to practice and familiarize yourself with the enchanting on a base item but just don't overdue it.

Why does a chair have arms and legs like a man, but can't walk or hold things?

In the early game I surely do apply Accurate I or even Fine and an elemental lash. It helps immensely - and since the early game usually is the hardest part it makes sense to enchant some basic weapons.

But I also don't waste too much resources on those. Usually I know what armor/weapon I want for my char and then I sink all the good enchantments into it.

Edited by Boeroer

The ingredients for lower tier enchantments are plentiful and, I believe, semi-renewable via the stronghold, so throwing those enchantments on gear you will eventually replace is no bad thing. Obviously with any of the super rare enchanting materials you'll want to be careful on what you use them on.

Also for a few builds (like quick switching gun builds) it makes a lot of sense to enchant mundane items since there simply aren't enough unique ones of the appropriate type in the game.

For shield, there is only one option:  quality.  If you have the materials to spare, might as well upgrade them all the way as enchantment limits will never play a role.  

For armor, if I have an odd number for enchantments, I always get one of the specific damage type protection (only costs one and all other custom enchantments are even numbers).  If you have even number for enchantment "anvils" and you plan for it to be end-game armor, you may want to skip it as it could forgo the ability to get legendary or superb later, or a stat boost.  Personally, I prefer the stat boost and quality over situational protection since they are always helpful.  Each quality enchantment adds 2 anvils (fine: 2, excellent: 4, etc) and the stat bonuses add 2 per stat increase.  By the time you get legendary, the game will basically be over (or there will be no more difficult enemies left), so maybe you don't bother worrying about keeping enchantment room for it.  Which specific damage protection you get depends on your equipment.  Cloak of Comfort and Blunting Belt does not stack with an armor's damage-specific enchantment (it does stack with the quality one though), so if you plan to wear one of them long-term, avoid the slash/crush/pierce ones.  The elemental ones can be situationally good because those attacks usually hit for a lot of damage, but any given one is not very common and if you really need it there are other ways to temporarily boost resistance.  Crush (if not using the cloak) is probably the best because it helps against quite a few hard-hitting enemies like ogres and monks and wearing plate armor (and/or the blunting belt) is already helping the other physical damage types a lot.  For the cloak of comfort character, I would take one of the elemental ones... they are all good in different situations, but I like personally corrode because enemy casters seem to like to target that a lot.  If it is a "back-row" character or wearing lighter armor, you may want pierce resistance since most archers target that and it is also quite common in melee too.  Or maybe try and balance out your physical DR protections for the enemies that target the better of two damage types.

Also worth noting is that it is not actually that good to "shore up" an armor's weakness (like lighting protection for plate) because it doesn't provide as much DR protection since there actually a percentage-based reduction happening in the background that also applies to bonuses.  It is better to just accept the weakness or change to a different suit of armor for a lightning heavy fight.

For armor stat enchantment, it depends on if you care about legendary (or even superb sometimes).  My personal opinion is that both of those come too late and the +2 stat enchantment will benefit from from level 5.    By the time you get the "legendary" quality, you will have already defeated the most powerful enemies in the game and no longer need the additional DR protection and having it is just overkill.  +1 stat is only useful if you never plan to get the +2 one since you can't upgrade it later.  Another thing to keep in mind is that the armor stat enchantment does not stack with bonuses provided by other (non-weapon) equipment.  If you have a specific build in mind, you will want to make sure you pick a stat that you won't also be getting with equipment later on.  This is annoying because it requires a high level of knowledge about possible items in the game and is why I wish you could remove the enchantment; it really only hurts new players.

Edited by Braven