White March Part 2 Reviews

What in the actual ****? Gamespot gave it a 5/10, even lower than part 1's 6/10: http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/pillars-of-eternity-the-white-march-part-2-review/1900-6416370/

It's even weirder when you look at this:

THE GOOD:

+ Epic conclusion

+ Beautiful environments

+ Brilliant soundtrack

THE BAD:

- Monotonous combat sequences

That's literally all that was written in the 'bad' field. Anyways, this brings down its Metacritic average from 83 to 80.

I feel like they could have cut the combat encounters in half in both white march 1 and 2. Playing through white march 1 and 2 almost deflated my enthusiasm for the main quest. It felt like a distraction. On top of leaving behind a very important and pressing quest in the main game the expansions just felt like an excuse to throw the player into fight after fight and it wore me down by the end. So much so that I skipped it all (White March stuff) in my tandem 2nd playthrough and for my new 3rd playthrough I have completely uninstalled both White March 1 and 2.

It isn't even that I completely dislike the expansions, it's just that the main game is so good that the expansions actually feel like they take away from the experience and from a role play perspective kind of don't make sense.

I haven't gotten far enough into WM yet to have seen the pure combat vs story driven combat thing folks are talking about above, but IMHO it's OK to have occasional bits of hack-n-slashery.  I like primarily story driven games, but for example the

Endless Paths

are sometimes nice for those evenings I don't want to keep all the plot points straight in my head, but rather just go beat some stuff up for an hour before heading off to bed.  Then the next night I can go back to the story again, and it's there waiting for me.  It's a good mixture, in my view.  I like about a 80/20 ratio, but of course that's in the eye of the beholder.

• Like 1

its funny hearing people complain about how easy the combat is and others how hard it is. 

my party has 2 paladin's in it cause my daughter thinks the lady with feathers on her head is pretty. If I can manage anyone can manage if they try harder. I dont understand people complaining about how easy a game is and also power game the whole thing. 

solo it as a chanter if it's so damn easy. 

To be fair, those monk's are downright fiesty bastards. I will say I got MUCH better at the game after clearing the Abbey. Haha.

"OMG stop punching my lights out and die to the same tactics I've been using for the last 20 hours!"

I can't wait to go back in there.

• Like 1