[CLASS BUILD] The Drake's Ambassador (searing & mesmerizing chanter tank)

The good thing about this build is that you can wear a simple hatchet from lvl 1 to 16 if you want. The weapon damage this chanter does is neglectible.

As I said I like the Sabre "Flames of Fair Rhian" from the Endless Paths that you can get when you siphoned knowledge from Maerwald's soul. Not because of the weapon damage, but because it has 3 uses of Fireball per rest.

Another nice variant is any one handed weapon with the "Marking" enchantment. Shame and Glory would be such a weapon - Cladhaliath can also be crafted to be marking. That way you can give a party member +10 ACC when they flanl your target - resulting in +20 ACC so to speak (-10 deflection from flanked, +10 ACC).

But as I said: any hatchet will also be fine.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

The weapon is almost irrelevant - fine? excellent? doesnt matter, bonus spells are nice... but thats about it, your AA doesnt matter.

I am in a run with durance and a chanter - wtf i thought the priest would have to carry the chanter to lvl 9 - its the other way around, the chanter is carrying the hell out of durance (lvl 7 atm, just cleared the spiders and the ogre) - i simply take a weak encounter or use everything in a hard one - after that i simply kite all enemys to the place i killed the former enemys... managed to see a 226 damage number with one spell (was lvl 5)... thats simply ridiculous... (sure, you cant clear the big maps with just one location, however that spell is simply broken if you reuse locations... first time i do that, before i only used it in mass fights as a closer; first half down? ok, everyone else is dead too - cya)

It's pretty powerful. OBS will at least buff it in a way that you can't reuse the corpses over and over again - I guess.

Another thing is: you have to turn off the gib option in the game options. If an enemy explodes into chunks there will be no body. ;)

Nice hint, was wondering why i didnt get bodys all the time - its quite a bad thing early on^^

The Spell shouldnt be that good later on (okay, maybe if i get to 36 might...) since you cant pierce the DR of stronger enemys, the damage isnt worth it then... however early, if you plan it right - its similiar to diablo 3 EP monks - kill one enemy, fight is over (here: get one pile of bodys, everything else gets oneshot on top of it)

Chanters are seriously the most fun class for me :D

I used that invocation to clear whole Crägholt Bluffs. It also works against tougher enemies and higher DR - you just need some more bodies. ;)

One good trick is (if you have the possibilities) to cast Expose Vuln. on the mob and/or debuff them further before casting White Worms. If it crits the damage is high enough to go through thickest DR. And two or more chanters with that are even better of course. ;)

Edited by Boeroer

I am at a loss for words... sometimes i just want to alt+f4 and play something else - thats how bad obsidian butchers it...

now that i am playing with 1 chanter+1 priest... i learn about so many bad interactions... its not even funny...

i am lvl 10 now, almost lvl 11 - cleared act 2, no wm etc... am on my way to the adra dragon (od nua lvl 8 atm)... and it simply suxx, its too easy but too hard all at once...

chanter gets dominated? cant stop it, the dragon chant does too much damage, thats why i withdraw my priest - priest still gets damaged quite a bit, if i dont have about 50% endurance left before - i could die. WOW; i thought only raw damage could go through withdraw...

Chanter gets surrounded and damaged - healing would be too slow? I withdraw him - getting the worst of it all - the (i call it:) "immortal damage totem" - chanter doesnt stop using dragon chant just because he is in stasis - so i have 21 secs of undisturbed dragon chant - i intend to play durance as tanky as possible (okay - its not needed so i take bonus spells all the way) so if i would change a bit (give him good equipement, and defensive talents) he would be quite the tank - making the damage totem a free win (against everything but boss encounters and chanters rip bosses apart, with the summons - after the adds are gone)

So not funny... i want withdraw to be my "oh damn" button, not my free win button...

White Worms could oneshot dragons - done right (if the adds leave bodys, dont think the alpine dragon adds do) - about 60 damage per non crit body should be possible against dragons (before DR) with crits... its simply one hell of a spell... dont see where its really needed after lvl 9, but will see^^

First I have to say that I can't play without this build anymore. Such a nice damage hybrid tank...

Ignore my first post in this thread, your build is just superb, Boeroer.

But I did some adjustments and refinements in my most recent playthrough, I like to share:

Kana (my Drake's Ambassador of choice)

post-155475-0-61742600-1458202417_thumb.png

Gear:

Weapon Set 1: The Flames of Fair Rhian(!) (3 fireball/ rest) & Little Savior (style adjustment)

Weapon Set 2: Abydon's Hammer (+4 MIG)

(or Godansthunyr (+1 MIG) & Scâth Gwannek (3 winter wind/ rest) and do some frost damage too)

Weapon Set 3: Taluntain's Staff (3 fireball/ rest)

and/ or Curoc's Brand (1 fireball/ rest)

Head: Maegfolc Skull (or Garodh's Chorus with Preservation)

Armor: Sun-Touched Mail of Hyran Rath (3 sunbeam/ rest) (*Superb, INT+2, Crush-Proofed, Durgan-Refined)

or He Carries Many Scars

Neck: Amulet of Summer Solstice (3 sunbeam/ rest)

and/ or Amulett of Firballs (8 charges)

Hands: Glittering Gauntlets (or Bracers of Deflection)

Belt: Binding Rope (or Girdle of Eotun Constitution or  Blunting Belt)

The fact that Kana is an Island Aumaua turns out to be rather nice, because it opens up a weapon slot for Abydon's Hammer - the wet dream of every mid/ high perception tank. Whats not to like about an once per encounter AoE stun with a huge duration (especially with Drake's Ambassadors high INT). But there is more: Abydons' Hammer - thanks to the 4 MIG - is my weapon of choice for casting from scrolls (and from the two amulets).

Imo, Maegfolc Skull - with it's +4 Mig - is also a nice addition (in case you have no other melee party member who makes better use of it). I prefer it over Munacra Arret, because it opens up the belt slot for Binding Rope. Furthermore, Unbending increases survivability alot. I also like the Style alot, but I guess that's not for everyone...

Sun-Touched Mail of Hyran Rath adds 3 Sunbeam's per rest to our repertoire and so does Amulet of Summer Solstice, but you have to switch the Armor in some fights (like Ogres), because of the crush DR malus, and He Carries Many Scars happens to look badass combined with Maegfolc Skull in those cases. All in all, we end up with 6 Sunbeam's and 7 Fireball's per rest. Now thats sounds a lot like a little Fire Wizard.

As for Glittering Gauntlets: these are the natural evolution of Bracers of Deflection.

Imo and last but least, the effect of Voice of the Mountaintop is  barely noticeable.

Ancient Memory & Beloved Spirit is now also worth a look. I'm playing two of those guys at the moment and the combined healing is great.

100% Agree.

EDIT: Added some alternatives.

Edited by L4wlight

:skull: SHARKNADO :skull:

Yeah - I also recently came to appreciate the Sun Touched Mail and the amulet when I played with Pallegina as Fire General. Definitely a great addition to this chanter. I totally agree. +8 MIG is totally awesome, too. But I guess most of the time somebody else in the party wants to wear Abydon's Hammer. ;) For example I play a max MIG priest of eothas with it (and the Sun Touched Mail) and the damage and healing is just jawdropping. I combined that with the Morning Star that steals spells. It's really nice to cast free stolen DMG spells with 40 MIG. :)

Yeah I like to play with both Kana and Pallegina as my dream tank duo. I tend to give Pallegina Ryona's Breastplate, because it looks so good on her. I also tend to focus a lot more on missile spells (matching Scrolls, Baby Minoletta's Minor Missiles &  Cloak of Minor Missiles) and blunderbuss FoD shots (Lead Spitter and Silver Flash) on her and not on fire spells. Wrath of the Five Suns alone justifies to give her Rona's Vambraces... :devil:

But I guess most of the time somebody else in the party wants to wear Abydon's Hammer. wink.png

True, but my last playthrough was a caster/ ranged class orgy (plus said tank duo). :fdevil:  So in case there is no character build in the party, that builds around that hammer, the Drake's Ambassador is a very potent acceptor.

Here my last potd party (a bit off-topic I guess ^^):

- MC with my secret "crit me baby one more time" build (test phase)

- Kana as gentle giant (hiding behind a badass outfit) and Drake's Ambassadors consort

- Palleginia as - besides Sacred Immolation and her temper - not so fiery "Missile" General ^^

- Aloth as Zeblastian Hurtstacker double

- Durance as support b**** (thanks to the Witch's Hat I managed a Gandalf look for the first time)

- Segani as Storm and Plague Caller (<3 Twin Sting & Stormcaller) and of course Itumaak as...           Itumaak!

The priest build of yours sounds like a lot of fun! Can't wait to read more about that.

Edited by L4wlight

:skull: SHARKNADO :skull:

I think veteran's recovery would be great (particularly if soloing, of course). Even with high defenses and DR, some damage will still make it through. With the max Might and INT, veterans will heal for a ton. Since the goal is to make the battle last as long as possible, this seems like a good fit.

Does ancient memories also heal the chanter and stack with Veterans?

Edited by Braven
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think veteran's recovery would be great (particularly if soloing, of course). Even with high defenses and DR, some damage will still make it through. With the max Might and INT, veterans will heal for a ton. Since the goal is to make the battle last as long as possible, this seems like a good fit.

Does ancient memories also heal the chanter and stack with Veterans?

Yes it does. In fact, with a chanter focused on regeneration you can build a very, very sturdy tank because he heals quicker than anyone can do damage (while also healing his surroundings). You just need a good portion of health to avoid being killed via health loss.

I will post a build which focuses on that in a few days.

Where can I get the wand Curoc's brand?

You can find it in the wolf cave in Russetwood where you fight the spiritshifted "werewolf". It's on a skeleton that lies on the floor in the northeast of the cave. I can't remember exactly but I think you need some mechanics to find it.

Edited by Boeroer

The two improved regen auras make for really durable team. Adding in Veteran's Recovery greatly enhances the regen and has become one of my main tactics.

With my four man PotD team of Juggernaut 3.0, Kana, Pellaginna and Devil I hardly ever make use of Lay on Hands as the two regen auras combined with Zealous Endurance (to lesson damage via hit>graze) and Veteran's Recovery results in full endurance bars. Even while prone, paralyzed or stunned I still regen.

With Juggernaut 3.0 and his effective Constitution of 25 combined with all the regen he is like Wolverine. A Fighter with their two great regen abilities with the Chanter regen auras would be even crazier. It makes Con much more important as it gives you a much bigger pool to draw from and refill.

Big Con + big regen = Wolverine party

Yes. Especally if you use the chant that gives all nearby party memebers +100% healing received and combine that with high survival (+40 to 60% healing received) and a Belt of Bountiful Healing (+25%) and St. Borregia's Tears (+15% done) and 20 MIG (+30% done). The chanter himself will have about +230% regeneration on his own Ancient Memory+Beloved Spirits+Veteran's Recovery. As I said: will post a build later. ;) 

• 1 month later...

I apologize for this sort of necropost, but after the third time or so of viewing this guide I just realized that you used the lyrics from "Ambassador of Pain" by Kataklysm. I thought that you had wrote a poem for this build haha. Good stuff.

I apologize for this sort of necropost, but after the third time or so of viewing this guide I just realized that you used the lyrics from "Ambassador of Pain" by Kataklysm. I thought that you had wrote a poem for this build haha. Good stuff.

Hehehe - finally someone noticed. I do that with nearly every build (at least the newer ones) - using a song that is already there and twisting it a bit. :) Most of them are a bit more popular though (see "Ice Ice Baby" with the Chillfog build and so on).

Also I think that necroing a build thread is totally ok. They are meant to diccuss and develop. 

Edited by Boeroer

Ice Ice Baby is popular?! Kidding. I know what you mean. Pop culture back... in the late 80's? Early 90's? I can't remember now. Him and MC Hammer..

Must find another song to get stuck in my head now.

*edit* Incidentally Ambassador of Pain is the type of song I'm in the mood for now and again. Though sometimes it's just the cause of a headache. Getting old.

Edited by Kazuma

"Actively" is the keyword here. Like popping your favorite music tape into the toaster, sitting down and listening to the songs. Or going to a Justin Bieber concert or whatever people do who... actively listen to music. ;)  

^ At least you didn't say 8-track. :p Can't say vinyl as that seems to be making a comeback of sorts. Though it never really died with collectors.

I suppose I don't listen to music much myself. I do once in a great while when I'm doing some repetitive task and I need a distraction. Though, a podcast or audiobook works better imo.

When I do listen to my music collection I'm reminded, sadly, of all the time I've wasted in MMO's. I mean what's more mindlessly repetitive than that? ;)

Edited by Kazuma

1) Chanters are the battery of the party.

2) Progressive Symphonic Power Metal

3) Aoe damage withers mobs

4) ???

5) Profit

There's your proof that DreamWayfarer was a Drake Amabassador in another life and/or dimension.

• Like 1