The truth behind the words in constantine's "The 'Truth' behind words in RPG Codex's #1 Review for PoE "

Call me Perv Griffin, but I actually love to assassinate urinating guards. :biggrin:

:o You fiend!! Also, yes, you now have to rename yourself Perv Griffin from now on.

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Yap, the lack of moderation makes it fun original.gif

(neither this or constantine topic should have been allowed to live)

As I mentioned before, there's more factual reasoning in the OP in this thread than Constantine's thread.

Does not matter. Mods should have merged both with the main RPGCodex review topic. If everyone would be opening new topics to answer posts in other topics the forums would be chaos and unreadable. Nobody should be allowed to do that.

In my view, a manageable amount of chaos and unreadability is to be welcomed. The alternative is just so terribly dull.

Indeed, it makes for unexpected associations and a few good laughs, amongst other things.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

The aforementioned Pillars of Eternity review by Darth Roxor is essentially "I hated it, here's why" - that's a review, whether you like it or not.

No, god damn no. That's the opposite of a review. That's a simple rationalization of the persons own gut reaction and biases. A review is the opposite, namely a careful and honest analysis of the individual elements of the game, which then grounds a fair conclusion based on this, despite of what oppinion the person had prior to writing it. If done well, the conclusion is often supprising to the reviewer him/her-self.

• Like 2

Really? Because I'm pretty sure the opposite of that is, as I stated in the OP, "I liked it, here's why".

And it seems that you have no problem with that

I've also seen people state that bad reviews simply give a list of features and then a summary. You don't see reviews of other media that do that I don't think. Certainly not movie or TV show reviews.

Edited by Sensuki

I'm done fighting with other posters in this topic or any other and will resume talking about the game and offering suggestions to improve it.

I would never have done it in the first place, if not for Darth Roxor's post underestimating the intelligence of anyone who has put hours into PoE and classic ie games.

• Like 1

Matilda is a Natlan woman born and raised in Old Vailia. She managed to earn status as a mercenary for being a professional who gets the job done, more so when the job involves putting her excellent fighting abilities to good use.

The aforementioned Pillars of Eternity review by Darth Roxor is essentially "I hated it, here's why" - that's a review, whether you like it or not.

No, god damn no. That's the opposite of a review. That's a simple rationalization of the persons own gut reaction and biases. A review is the opposite, namely a careful and honest analysis of the individual elements of the game, which then grounds a fair conclusion based on this, despite of what oppinion the person had prior to writing it. If done well, the conclusion is often supprising to the reviewer him/her-self.

While true, that means that virtually all reviews I've ever read have not been reviews.

t50aJUd.jpg

I love how Codex breaks every forum it manages to root into.

People do everything but the most logical thing of just going into the forum itself and facing the person that made them butthurt who is always and permanently avaible at there.

Edited by Shadenuat

Shadenaut; That's why I compared them to the Borg in another thread. It's like a living, breathing virus that aims for world assimilation, well, at least when it comes to CRPGs. ;)

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

While true, that means that virtually all reviews I've ever read have not been reviews.

I would imagine that there are degrees of the reviewiness involved. Some cases are clear hatchet jobs, where the only purpose is to cherrypick or exaggerate elements to justify a conclusion that was already settled going in. Other examples may be muddied by rationalization, but where it is still clear that the reviewer at least tries to let the review inspire the conclusion.

I'm not taking a stand here on the codex review, or any other.

Shadenaut; That's why I compared them to the Borg in another thread. It's like a living, breathing virus that aims for world assimilation, well, at least when it comes to CRPGs. ;)

Oh no Codex can't be Borg. Borg can work together efficiently and agree on something.

Edited by Shadenuat
  • Like 3

I'm done fighting with other posters in this topic or any other and will resume talking about the game and offering suggestions to improve it.

Suggestions to improve the game? You mean like people have been doing over the last two years and since the beta went live. Good luck!

I would never have done it in the first place, if not for Darth Roxor's post underestimating the intelligence of anyone who has put hours into PoE and classic ie games.

If there's anything Darth Roxor may have underestimated, it's the butthurt of millions of voices suddenly crying out in terror...

Appropriate youtube clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKu7TYWNxqA

Edited by Hiro Protagonist II
  • Like 3

Oh, good thing you double-cross-posted this post across multiple threads, or someone that doesn't care could've missed it.

• Like 2

t50aJUd.jpg

Ideally this will be a sign for the developers to completely ignore a community of toxic people in the next round.  They're certainly making a very clear impression here, and it's not a positive one.  The people involved don't seem to understand the most basic elements of persuasion - how to convince people that your ideas are good ones, which doesn't involve childish claims 'of "butthurt", doesn't involve picking apart what others say to prove that you're right and they're wrong, but does involve some minimal human interaction skills.

If I really wanted to slam PoE I wouldn't write attack pieces - because only the true believers would make it past the first paragraph, and my tone would antagonize the people I was trying to reach.  If I really wanted to turn opinions around, I start by trying to understand what someone else is saying, indicate that I understand where they're coming from, then engage; they might change their mind in a way that calling them an idiot won't.

As far as I'm concerned. it's an interesting new system, I got more than my money's worth, and I'm looking forward to the next installments.  With more resources I think that they can do a good job on things like encounter design, AI, and a deeper conversation / consequences system, and a bit of balance tweaking.  And the people who have played the same games over and over and over and over can go back and play them again, instead of trying to turn a new game into a pale shadow of an old one.

• Like 1

Rheingold: Yeah, we are spoiled rotten atm. Last year was great, and this year has had a fantastic start with PoE, and soon we'll have Serpent of the Staglands and Witcher 3 (although I've never liked that game series. Don't ask me why. I have the games and I really tried to get into them. I guess it's the fixed protagonist that somehow rubs me in the wrong way, for starters.)

What I like about the Witcher series is that it really catches the idea of being in a living world.  The villages are places that you could imagine being actual villages, not a half dozen houses with questgivers in them.  They're boorish and crude, of course, but that's just a style choice, and it doesn't bother me.  I just had a devil of a time beating the starting sequence in Witcher 2 - although once I got the hang of the controls it got easier.  But the "I can't complete the tutorial!" feeling was sure a new thing for me...

Or wishing that a new game would actually be good.

I wouldn't waste my time in a game forum where I didn't think the game was any good.  What purpose is achieved?  Am I going to convince people who are enjoying themselves that they're wrong?  Am I going to make people agree with me by calling them names?  Because when I read things like the Codex review, my takeaway impression is "what a collosal jerk", not whether, like a blind squirrel, he sometimes found a nut.

• Like 2