Possible Bug in Sanitarium

teh_elgee

Question

I played through, got attacked by the baddies, and confronted Azo again. Told him i was gonna turn him in, and he attacked me.

Once I left the basement, the guards and NPCs were hostile to me. I suspect that's not supposed to happen.

• Like 2

My experience was gaining access to the north wing, fighting the inmates and constructs, leaving the north wing and killing the rest of the constructs. The constructs also attacked one of the guards, who wasn't aggressive with me. The common area inmates were not aggressive. The wichts were all standing upright with their arms outstretched. I went back to Azo, confronted him and killed him.

When I went upstairs, the guards, nobles and others were all aggressive. I killed a number of them and the soul in the statue would only tell me to leave. I left and suffered no other ill effects that I could see.

This is exactly what happened to me, except that I killed Azo before seeing the wichts.  They are now completely gone.  I haven't killed anyone and saved that would otherwise not be hostile, but I still trigger the old Cipher lady invitation on exiting the building (experimented by killing one guard, then stealthing out).  The main reason I'm not willing to move on is that it's clear that animancy plays an important role in Defiance Bay and in the game, esp. with the trials that I still haven't interacted with.  I don't want to miss out on any content whatsoever.  Plus, the quest that brought us here is part of the main questline in the first place.

Edited by PyriktheSo-So

Also just hit this bug. I killed the flesh creatures, and in between fights camped in the prison area due to taking hard damage. Azo is still alive and there seems to be no further dialogue options after the fight. It just seems as he has given me the key to the northern gate. When I go to the upper floor, the whole Sanatorium is hostile towards me.

• Like 1

Also just hit this bug. I killed the flesh creatures, and in between fights camped in the prison area due to taking hard damage. Azo is still alive and there seems to be no further dialogue options after the fight. It just seems as he has given me the key to the northern gate. When I go to the upper floor, the whole Sanatorium is hostile towards me.

Did you have wichts show up in the basement after the main fight?

I too went along the hallways to Azo (and killed him) before entering that main room where I encountered this bug.

After replaying (fortunatly I dd have a save just before entering) I went into the main room first and it was full of wichts, the guards were dead, and the patients were gone. Not sure if it was because I talked to Azo first and killed him or the event simply didn't trigger for some reason. 

I also had this bug happened with no save game anywhere remotely close to this area.  I went downstairs, had the encounter, killed all of the golems.  I did notice a golem attacking one of the guards so i killed it.  Now when I go upstairs everyone is agro.  Meanwhile downstairs nobody is agro'd on me.  I do notice however that the guard the golem attacks if I mouse over him the default state is for my party to attack him.  So it seems as though the golem attacking this guard causes this issue.  I am pretty much screwed now until this is fixed... I have attached a screenshot of the broken guard.  Also of note, if you kill this guard, another one just spawns in it's place that is friendly

http://i.imgur.com/TnpdTMC.jpg

Edited by Izno842
  • Like 1

I also had this bug happened with no save game anywhere remotely close to this area.  I went downstairs, had the encounter, killed all of the golems.  I did notice a golem attacking one of the guards so i killed it.  Now when I go upstairs everyone is agro.  Meanwhile downstairs nobody is agro'd on me.  I do notice however that the guard the golem attacks if I mouse over him the default state is for my party to attack him.  So it seems as though the golem attacking this guard causes this issue.  I am pretty much screwed now until this is fixed... I have attached a screenshot of the broken guard.  Also of note, if you kill this guard, another one just spawns in it's place that is friendly

http://i.imgur.com/TnpdTMC.jpg

Exact same guard for me!  Sorry you have to go through this too, bromodon.  When I kill him, he doesn't get replaced, the model just stays there altogether and cannot be interacted with.

Like Justinian, I convinced Azo to let me in, then killed everyone else and talked to Azo on the way back. He's asked me 'what have you done?' To which I said I had no time and that exhausted my dialogue options with him. Everything okay upstairs.

Yeah, same. There were also no wichts in the closed off room to the NW.
As for wichts, I didn't notice any until I killed all the constructs, 'talked' to Azo and went upstairs to talk with the warden. I thought it's weird that I got no dialogue options with Azo and there was no quest update so I came back down one more time and suddenly there were some 4 wichts in the middle of the main room that attacked me. I found an extra construct that I killed and nothing changed. The quest finished when I left the building.

I had no wichts when i got the bug, but wichts when nothing bad happened. The wichts are in the center and when I tried to avoid resting(as possible bug cause) and fighting constructs, I took the shortest way up. But I also saw a construct attacking a guard. Maybe attacking or killing a guard makes the nobles upstaris upset :D

Edited by Asmodean

Okay, people who did not have this bug - did any of you have the wichts appear for you?  People who did have this bug, were the wichts not there for any of you?

The little kids? yes, several groups. They look normal, they are not stuck in the T position. 4 in the common room of the patients ward, 3 + 3 in the west corridor (if I counted right). I can kill them without issues.

N8DG54y.jpg

Passages:

- Upstairs, the Warden gives me permission to visit the patients ward.

- Downstairs Azo is pissed off, but still gives me the key.

- Chat with the prisoner, constructs attack.

- Sneaking back to the entrance (clockwise) I stop by Azo. He asks "What have you DONE". I get only 1 answer "[Leave]I have no time for this". If I talk again to Azo I get the previous conversation "What is it NOW. 1. I heard you were demoted..."

- After that, I see in the common room a Wicht. It doesn't matter if I sneak away or if i kill them all. The output is the same.

- Going upstairs triggers a conversation with the Warden, asking for an explanation. No one is hostile.

Edited by Suen

I've come to burn your kingdom down

I got this bug (and the Hall of Revealed Mysteries one too) after I talked with Azo and got the key (he wasn't happy) then talked with the prisoner, killed the attacking constructs and prisoners in the North Ward. I then went clockwise killing constructs until I got to Azo's room, confronted him and said I'd blab - he attacks, I kill. I then traveled to the main room and it was populated with all the normal prisoners and guards. Once I got close enough to the construct by that same one guard the constuct attacked him but I managed to kill the construct before the guard died. The guard never became hostile. There were no wichts in the main room. I went to where they were and the door was open and they were all standing still, non-interactable in the room. I left them be and went upstairs to find everyone hostile. I killed nobody I just used a scroll to give my party enhanced stealth and snuck everyone out safely.

Okay, so to summarise, it sounds like whether or not the wichts appear and where they are is a separate bug to whatever's turning people upstairs hostile, which may be related to that guard in the main room somehow, but it's not as simple as whether he dies or not.

For my part, when I came out of the big fight to start killing the flesh constructs, the guard was already dead.  Also Azo didn't have anything to say to me besides "What have you done?"

Edited by sparklecat

I also got this bug where the whole sanitarium became enemies with me, but I was still able to continue the main quest, not realizing that this was actually a bug. Now, 10 hours of play later, I have a quest to turn in some items to Nans, but I can't because she attacks me on-sight.

This is the 2nd game-breaking bug I've found, and I have to say it's hugely discouraging. It makes me afraid of playing the game at all.

I also ran into the bug and don't have a nearby save.  I was just checking out the building and stumbled into the main quest.

Is there a way to turn off their hostility?  As much as I hope the bug is fixed, I kind of just want a way to go back and turn in or finish other quests for now.

I can confirm what others have said -- you can pull and kill the first Sanitarium guard closest to the downstairs entrance, then easily stealth the rest of your party out and trigger the next part of the main quest.  If I had been smarter about my leveling generally and put more into stealth, since lore and athletics are protagonist attributes principally, and mechanics just needs to be for one character (Durance for me), the rest of your companions should get stealth out the ass.  This makes me think you can stealth past the first guard entirely, avoiding bloodshed.  I also confirmed with a friend who has beaten the game with obsessive completionist disorder (OCD) that after this quest, Aloth's, and Moedred (catacombs), you are done with the Sanitarium.  The only other quest involves a student who is outside the building and will not be hostile.

You do get a minor hit to your Defiance Bay reputation for killing him, but at least you can continue onward.  Needless to say, I'm vigilant now about making excessive saves, double-clicking, hunter's mark greying out, and any other bugs.  Harddrive space and memory be damned!

Edited by PyriktheSo-So

I have problem with part "subdue Uscgrim" I don't know how I can do that really, I believe he is that last (third) flesh construct on North Ward when battle begins and 2 of closest flesh constructs attack you with some grazy patients, now I have tried to attack him with weapons and spells and one time was using only bare fists, both time he died and was not subdued and mission part goes grey in quests list and doesn't go forward, no matter what I do, speak/kill Azo or statue upstairs, nothing seem to help. Also first time I tried there was Witchs everywhere, guard were dead downstairs and everything but couple animances and azo were hostile me, second time there were no witchs at all, they like disappeared thin air, guards were still dead and flesh contsructs were hostile, but other patients were not. So clearly there is something very wrong with this mission? So is there an actual way to subdue that flesh construct?

I have problem with part "subdue Uscgrim" I don't know how I can do that really, I believe he is that last (third) flesh construct on North Ward when battle begins and 2 of closest flesh constructs attack you with some grazy patients, now I have tried to attack him with weapons and spells and one time was using only bare fists, both time he died and was not subdued and mission part goes grey in quests list and doesn't go forward, no matter what I do, speak/kill Azo or statue upstairs, nothing seem to help. Also first time I tried there was Witchs everywhere, guard were dead downstairs and everything but couple animances and azo were hostile me.

Sounds almost exactly like what I've just ran into, except that azo wasn't hostile. I killed everything hostile (flesh golems, prisoners in the north ward, wichts) then went to Azo, told him "We'll see" about ratting him out, told the warden about his experiments and then nothing, subdue Uscgrim is just greyed out. Anyone know maybe a console command I can use to force the quest to be complete or something?

Also as an aside, I went back down to see if killing Azo would do anything, saved beforehand, after I killed him the NPCs in the area seemed to respawn, patients in the main area are back, as is the assistant and the guards, even the wichts are standing, non hostile, in their cell. Only the flesh golems haven't respawned and all the doors are open. This even unlocked the dialogue option with the main warden where I told him I killed Azo, but this did nothing to resolve the quest

My last manual save was 21 ingame hours ago...

Edited by Reialgo

I had a very similar thing happen, where the entire Sanitorium turned hostile and the Soul in the Stone did not want to speak to me any longer, although I believe the quest NPCs did not turn hostile. I happened to threaten to break the legs of our friendly soul thief and Azo the animancer asked me What had I done, and I proceeded to dispense justice upon him as well. I had just assumed it was because of my violent choices that the entire place decided I was a threat. If it was a bug that would be disappointing as a narrative matter! Could we have a dev say whether this is a bug/not bug at the very least?

I've talked to Azo after speaking with Gram but before talking with Uscgrim, which allowed me to confront him with his experiments. I said I'd turn him in, he attacked and died, after which I went to Ethelmoer and told him about Azo and his death.

Then I went down again, did the whole flesh golem possession thing and fought my way out. Talking to Ethelmoer again was weird. I could report what happened, but then he asked "And what about Azo?". There was nothing to select except "Close Dialogue".

The quest is marked as finished, but I'm not sure if something else was supposed to happen. Should I reload (3 hours lost...) or will this cause no problems?

I've killed the golems, wichts and some patients, but no sign of Uscgrim. Is this how things are supposed to be?

I've talked to Azo after speaking with Gram but before talking with Uscgrim, which allowed me to confront him with his experiments. I said I'd turn him in, he attacked and died, after which I went to Ethelmoer and told him about Azo and his death.

Then I went down again, did the whole flesh golem possession thing and fought my way out. Talking to Ethelmoer again was weird. I could report what happened, but then he asked "And what about Azo?". There was nothing to select except "Close Dialogue".

The quest is marked as finished, but I'm not sure if something else was supposed to happen. Should I reload (3 hours lost...) or will this cause no problems?

I've killed the golems, wichts and some patients, but no sign of Uscgrim. Is this how things are supposed to be?

My impression is that Uscgrim, for all intents and purposes, dies when he vacates his body to dominate the flesh constructs and to turn loose the patients in that ward.  Once the flesh golems are down, he is effectively subdued.  Whether the quest shows that clearly is another matter.

• Like 1

My general impressions is that this quest is pretty bugged:

* For a while I couldn't get into the northern ward. I talked to Azo and he said I could go to the statue if I wanted to. So I went and did that, but there were no conversation options at the statue. Only by talking to every single person in the entire place and finally realizing I hadn't selected a conversation option with Azo where I threw a patient under the bus as tattling on him did I succeed--- apparently betraying the trust of an informant is necessary to get the key?

* After the first fight with golems, I decided that the rest of the patients in the asylum might be possessed too. I decided to take a southern route to find Azo before going upstairs, but strangely the entire south hall was unoccupied. I confronted Azo, telling him that I would keep his secret for the good of his research. [at this point I genuinely believed he was trying to do the right thing]

* On entering the main room of the basement, everyone was acting like nothing had happened. Going to see the animancers in their offices also made it seem like they were unaware that the golems had all turned on their masters. On approaching the stairs I briefly saw someone with a green circle running for the stairs saying something, but didn't catch what they said exactly....

* Going to the statue, there was a brief back-and-forth about how it was good that I removed the threat "without the loss of innocent life" [except I killed all the patients in the north ward? I guess the animancers don't consider patients innocent?]

* At this point, the quest didn't clear out of my quest registry. I figured I must have missed something in the basement, so I went down there. Now there were wichts in the main hall, but all the patients and guards were gone. I killed them, and investigated the top hallway. Found a few more golems, dispatched them, then found a secret room with a bunch of wichts who wouldn't attack me. Odd...

So, at this point I was out of ideas. I figured that person running up the stairs might have been the kid I was chasing from the cell? I left the sanitarium hoping it was some sort of chase scene that I hadn't picked up on, but then I just was approached about a different quest. I am going to reload to directly before talking to the kid in the basement[the first golem fight] tonight and try clearing out all enemies before talking to Azo--- but man, what a disappointing quest. I'm not even sure what is supposed to be happening, since it's so bugged out on conversation.

1st post, hello. Unfortunately we meet in sad times :( As I'm a huge Quick Save fan my game is now broken. I've killed a few golems, took SE route to Azo, spoke with him (note that some baddies were still alive), fought a bunch of contructs and wights, went upstairs and voilla everybody hostile. Until they fix it I will not continue my quest. Also Azo is neutral, speaks his first dialogue options, the guy in the room with strange chest is hostile, the girl north of him is not.

I had a look on the console commands, but I found nothing that could help.

After running into this bug as i described earlier in the thread I have to recommend that you guys just move on with your game like I did.  You don't end up having to go back there much and soon enough you're on your way.  Don't let the sanitarium bring you down, just kill the one guard and sneak out and keep on trucking friends