Any word on what these would/could be? It was a pleasant surprise to see listed when I bought the game from Steam and just curious if difficulty or never dying will be part of it. That will be an achievers nightmare with permadeath;)

Achievement! Created character!

Achievement! Equipped weapon!

Achievement! Opened door!

Achievement! Picked herb!

Sorry for the cynicism, but 'cheevos seem mostly pretty lame to me. However, I expect Obs will come up with some that actually reflect a real accomplishment in the game.

• Like 3

Some of them are pretty neat, when well-authored. Like... beat the game with only one character the whole time. But, yeah, most of them seem pretty silly in a lot of games. They're just sort of milestones. They might as well say "play the game for an hour. Play the game for 3 hours," etc.

Of course, I understand that they're often used by statistical data gathering to help developers determine how many players actually play their game all the way through, or, to what point players play in their games. Which... *shrug*... I'd just as much has those be silent. They're doing 2 things, at that point, when they really only need to do one.

But then, I guess they also show your friends and such how far you've gotten in games. Still, "Earn 1,000 gold!" and "Buy a horse!" seem silly, since they don't even describe set points in the game.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I liked the achievements in the Stanley Parable.  "Play for game for an entire Tuesday."  ...And the ones for Portal were pretty tough to achieve.  I don't tend to go out of my way to get achievements, but I do sometimes go and look over the achievement list in my games.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Sorry for the cynicism, but 'cheevos seem mostly pretty lame to me. However, I expect Obs will come up with some that actually reflect a real accomplishment in the game.

Most of those are to help debs track data. Out of all the people who bought the game, how many started it? Is there a portion in the crit path that lots people don't make it through? Etc.

• Like 3

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

There is one achievement that I am not sure is really possible (without using some sort of exploit). It is called the Triple Crown Solo and requires that the player play the entire game solo, on expert mode, with trial of iron (party wipe deletes save), with Path of the Damned difficulty.

None of our testers were able to get it naturally.

• Like 12

Achievements that cannot be attained without cheating are not achievements.  Unless by exploit you mean something that you can do with the game without any mods or whatnot.  Having knowledge beforehand and using abilities in ways other than the intended use or whatnot isn't cheating, but you should only include achievements that people can attain by playing the game as shipped with what the player can get without going into the game files and changing anything.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Achievements that cannot be attained without cheating are not achievements.  Unless by exploit you mean something that you can do with the game without any mods or whatnot.  Having knowledge beforehand and using abilities in ways other than the intended use or whatnot isn't cheating, but you should only include achievements that people can attain by playing the game as shipped with what the player can get without going into the game files and changing anything.

I think it's fun to include one or two achievements that the devs think might be possible. It's a nice challenge for the powergamers out there and it might mean that the devs learn some new things about their game.

Edited by MasterPrudent
  • Like 3

I guess that's fair enough.  I just don't like the idea of putting in 'gotcha' achievements.  On the other hand, people find crazy ways to do things in games like this, so who knows what some player might find to manage it.

Obsidian Plays

Complete the game without using melee weapons

Complete the game by allways picking the first choise of the dialoge screen

Throw away 5000 gold 

maybe funny stuf like that? :p

• Like 2

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

There is one achievement that I am not sure is really possible (without using some sort of exploit). It is called the Triple Crown Solo and requires that the player play the entire game solo, on expert mode, with trial of iron (party wipe deletes save), with Path of the Damned difficulty.

I would like to try that even there is no real achivement like that :w00t: looks fun in sadism way

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

I quite like Achievements, or at least those that nudge me towards exploring or doing things a bit differently.

For example, since I don't much care for the combat side of things, in New Vegas I might just have stuck to regular guns for all my playthroughs because they are familiar, work well and do what I want them to do. But since there are achievements for using other kinds of weapons, I decided to try some different character builds to use different weapons that I otherwise would not have.

Turns out I really like laser guns. Who knew?

• Like 3

Another idea come up to my mind finish the game with 6 Chanters on hard mode to get Eternity Idols 

• Like 2

I only really care for achievements tied to doing difficult things such as "defeat X supertough optional boss" or "beat the game in Nightmare mode without lowering the difficulty at any point" etc. Exploration/completionist achievements aren't that bad either, but I wish they removed the "free" achievements you get just for playing the game. "Reach level 10", "Complete the 2nd Act" etc. It's like saying "hey, you're not doing anything spectacular, but here, you can feel good about it".

My opinion of course.

I only really care for achievements tied to doing difficult things such as "defeat X supertough optional boss" or "beat the game in Nightmare mode without lowering the difficulty at any point" etc. Exploration/completionist achievements aren't that bad either, but I wish they removed the "free" achievements you get just for playing the game. "Reach level 10", "Complete the 2nd Act" etc. It's like saying "hey, you're not doing anything spectacular, but here, you can feel good about it".

My opinion of course.

What do you have against feeling good about nothing?  :grin:

I personally like those, if only for the puns in achievement names. Always nice to see what devs came up with this time.

• Like 1

Okay, that's pretty damned cool. See, I knew you guys would come up with something that was an actual achievement. :no:

• Like 1

Okay, that's pretty damned cool. See, I knew you guys would come up with something that was an actual achievement. :no:

So now I have an ultimate goal for PoE. Getting that achievement.  :yes:

• Like 1

PoE 2's actually secretly complete, isn't it... and if you manage to naturally attain the above achievement, PoE2 abruptly unlocks in your Steam account and begins downloading. 8)

I'm on to you! o_O

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Ctrl+Y is your friend!

hey I have a question

I bought Pillars of Eternity on GoG

do they have system similar to achievements? (1st time buying there)

Gog don't currently have achievements as they currently deliver all games with independent installers without steam like client, although they are currently developing similar client (except that using it is optional) named GOG Galaxy which is promised to bring achievements among other things for games that are bought from GOG. 

Edited by Elerond

I like GOG, I got my BG/IWD/NWN from them and soon enough Planescape Torment but until they get Achievements in there, I'll stick with steam. I did not know about the client they are developing though so I'll keep an eye out for that

Challenge Accepted! and yes, i'm *obviously* wearing a suit..... :)

Edited by FireExit
  • Like 3