Eternity 2 being talked about already

Not news, this is how game devs work.  Unless you want to lay someone off you have to start the next project as the original project is winding down.  Example... once the music is done what does your composers have to do?  Nothing.  Any idiot can adjust a volume slider.  So all those people you employed to do all the music and sound effects are now sitting their hands on asses unless you move them to a new project.

They have already confirmed starting work on the expansion, and I will be shocked if they haven't started real work on Eternity 2 before the expansion is released.  Will they use Kickstarter?  Hard to tell.  Won't mind if they do, won't mind if they don't.

• Like 12

Any talk of a sequel have been no more than a few discussions in a couple of meetings. Feargus and the project leads of the teams plan where people are going after Pillars is done for staffing/hiring needs across the entire company. No one is actively working on it, and this is standard for every project that is winding down. 

• Like 13

Follow me on twitter - @adam_brennecke

I hope it they adjust combat mechanics etc in the expansions (and they are positive changes) I hope they integrate these into the original and balance accordingly. Would be great to play PoE in a years time where everything feels like it is still organic.

I guess there is no harm in thinking about it. We are human afterall.

...but what I understand from this interview they are pretty confidend about the story&gameplay that they are thinking about PoE 2. Which is a good thing but I hope they wont seduced with the idea so they would delay the future expantion ideas to PoE 2.

Edited by ruzen

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

Not much in it. 

1) They'll make an expansion pack as promised in KS.

2) They always said they want to make POE a series. When you make a game there are tons of ideas you wanted to put in, tons of ideas, and also things you know you can improve if you got another shot. So you put some things down on paper. You revisit, and possibly change, a lot of it later. 

3) Nothing suggesting they will do a Kickstarter for POE2. 

Edit: I was wrong on 3), I think:

"So we need to start talking about Eternity 2 so we can say we would like you to back us so we can do these things."

• Like 3

Not news, this is how game devs work.  Unless you want to lay someone off you have to start the next project as the original project is winding down.  Example... once the music is done what does your composers have to do?  Nothing.  Any idiot can adjust a volume slider.  So all those people you employed to do all the music and sound effects are now sitting their hands on asses unless you move them to a new project.

They have already confirmed starting work on the expansion, and I will be shocked if they haven't started real work on Eternity 2 before the expansion is released.  Will they use Kickstarter?  Hard to tell.  Won't mind if they do, won't mind if they don't.

O.k. but why go for a sequel? That is what we know from the AAA studios. Sequel after sequel.

If they use kickstarter again it would be nice they would throw something new into the ring.

O.k. but why go for a sequel? That is what we know from the AAA studios. Sequel after sequel.

If they use kickstarter again it would be nice they would throw something new into the ring.

They already have atleast one other idea/property they are working on in pre-production, but whether they use Kickstarter for this or an Eternity sequel is likely dependent on the sales success of PoE.

I wouldn't mind something new, but it would be shame if they didn't immediately work on expanding this franchise as the background lore of this setting is really fascinating. 

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Because sequels sell.

It's an a "publisher" concept. They have a stable world to play in, they want to make new stories in it, plus they know it will sell. 

• Like 1

I would guess that if PoE sells fairly well that they would either forgo kickstarter for the sequel all together or use kickstarter for partial funding and fund the rest from the profits of the first game.

That is dependent on the success of PoE. If it can manage to pull in around 500k units sold that would be quite successful for a kickstarter project seeing as how the vast majority of the cost of the game has already been paid for. For console games developers usually make around 15-20% of the gross revenue, but since this isnt a console game Obsidian would likely get a larger cut. Also I would guess that the publisher for this game would get a substantially lower cut of the sales since they are not funding the game.

If I had to give an educated guess I would say that Obsidian would get around 35-40% of the sales depending on where the majority of the sales come from. If the game is mostly bought through steam, then they would get substantially less since steam takes 30% of all sales (one reason why I NEVER buy through steam, they rip-off these developers and publishers). If it is a reasonable breakdown of steam, gog and physical units then they would get a larger cut. The 35-40% figure I said would likely be if steam sales account for over half, which is likely.

If the game sales 500k units and Obsidian gets 35% of those sales with an average price of $50 per game that would net them $8.75 million before taxes. 

Of course these are numbers I am pulling out of thin air based on estimated percentages given a few years ago relating to how much developers make from console games. 

Edited by danielkx