My Perspective on v392

YunikoYokai5

Well rangers are weakest class right now so that might be a reason as well.

Also unlike BG you cannot just click and watch for most of fights. BG1 only needs better tactics after a few levels and for some special fights. PoE is designed more like a turn based game with many abilities that need to be used.

And to be fair, most turn-based games are still more auto-attack-y than PoE appears to be. "Oh, it's his turn again? Uhm, yup, shoot."

Maybe the ones you played. Fallout 1 and 2, ToEE, KotC, Blackguards and some others I played were for sure not stand in one spot and just attack. At worst you needed to change positions each round to maximize offense while reducing number of enemies that could attack you.

Not counting strategic, only tactical/RP ones, Fallout 1/2, ToEE, Wasteland 2, Jagged Alliance 1/2, Space Hulk, Halfway, The entire X-Com series, all of them come to mind. Let's just be clear here though - I haven't actually played Pillars of Eternity yet, which is why I say appears. But there's no end to turn-based games where a regular shot tends to be the best option.

I get what you mean and I think that it's a good thing that PoE is designed with the intent that you use the special abilities handed to you, so on and so forth, but there's not that many turn-based games where you need to use that many abilities on the average encounter.

t50aJUd.jpg

Not counting strategic, only tactical/RP ones, Fallout 1/2, ToEE, Wasteland 2, Jagged Alliance 1/2, Space Hulk, Halfway, The entire X-Com series, all of them come to mind. Let's just be clear here though - I haven't actually played Pillars of Eternity yet, which is why I say appears. But there's no end to turn-based games where a regular shot tends to be the best option.

I get what you mean and I think that it's a good thing that PoE is designed with the intent that you use the special abilities handed to you, so on and so forth, but there's not that many turn-based games where you need to use that many abilities on the average encounter.

Eternity is a real time with pause game, you should not be needing to move characters every 3 seconds and depending on the character it is plenty fine just leave them swinging away in most normal scenarios.  The amount of micromanaging many people on this forums say is required is pure bunk and is nothing but their playstyle.

Eternity is not X-Com and the combat of the two really should not be compared.

The amount of micromanaging many people on this forums say is required is pure bunk and is nothing but their playstyle.

Eternity is not X-Com and the combat of the two really should not be compared.

Although that was certainly how I and many others played the IE games, at least in the fun and memorable encounters. I'm not saying that you're wrong, but for some micromanagement is an important part of dat IWD combat feel, or whatever the pitch was. Hopefully this becomes a matter of difficulty level in the final product so that it might suit both playstyles in that regard.

• Like 1

Although that was certainly how I and many others played the IE games, at least in the fun and memorable encounters. I'm not saying that you're wrong, but for some micromanagement is an important part of dat IWD combat feel, or whatever the pitch was. Hopefully this becomes a matter of difficulty level in the final product so that it might suit both playstyles in that regard.

Oh don't get me wrong.  You need to pause, probably more than you did in BG1 even.  But every 3 seconds?  Not in a normal fight no, unless you just want to for some reason.  Not even in most hard ones.  Also if you are moving your characters constantly you are either kiting and trying to exploit engagement, or your initial positioning was just plain crap.  A tank deployed the right way at the start of a fight for example probably wont need to move more than 1-2 times tops during a normal fight assuming they move at all.  There is no advantage to moving around a guys rear mid combat, or moving a range character who is in no actual danger at their current position.

Just adding my 2c to the mix.

Played through a fair bit of this patch today (~4hours) and had no issues with combat on normal, everything was a breeze and the only downed state was due to a trap.
Mind you I am fairly used to this style of game and one of those unlucky few perma GM'ed for life in my pnp groups.

Please remember that some of the mechanics and character balance will be different in the final game as I doubt we will be starting at level four, nor in level four areas.

Had a bunch of glitches (vibrating rooms, a lantern with a wobbly white square, some missing dialogue here and there)
also the cursor seems to be a bit odd at 1440p in certain screens.
But the combat worked well for me, easily my favourite update so far (atleast healing spells seems to effect my characters now -laughs-)