Which HUD UI do you prefer?

Gairnulf

62 members have voted

1. 1. Which HUD UI do you prefer?

• Extra long combat log, buttons on top (although they look like tabs in my mockup): http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img673/4474/7Bkz79.jpg
    • Buttons on the right side instead of the center: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img661/5145/N2yilu.jpg
    • Buttons on the right side, solid backgrounds to conserve horizontal space, green gems supposed to be used to toggle panels: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img913/3223/5mESW7.jpg
    • I decided to call this "IE games nostalgic": http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img538/1479/mflbM8.jpg
    • Sensuki offered another layout today, with the combat log on the left side. I made a mockup of the same idea, so it's easier to compare to the others visually: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img674/2636/vETHWV.jpg
    • The current HUD UI

I've been toying around with different layouts for the UI HUD, as the default one struck me as kind of impractical. I'm curious to hear what the BB community thinks and I've prepared a few propositions. What's left for you is to cast your vote :)

1. Extra long combat log, buttons on top (although they look like tabs in my mockup): http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img673/4474/7Bkz79.jpg
  2. Buttons on the right side instead of the center: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img661/5145/N2yilu.jpg
  3. Buttons on the right side, solid backgrounds to conserve horizontal space, green gems supposed to be used to toggle panels: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img913/3223/5mESW7.jpg
  4. I decided to call this "IE games nostalgic": http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img538/1479/mflbM8.jpg
  5. Sensuki offered another layout today, thread here with the combat log on the left side. I made a mockup of the same idea, so it's easier to compare to the others visually: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img674/2636/vETHWV.jpg
  6. The current HUD UI is fine.
Edited by Gairnulf
  • Like 1

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

1. Log's width unjustifiably big for no practical reason.

[...]

4. Really cool, but how would their abilities display? Can you come up with a demonstration?

3. I'd vote for this one, but I'd swap the portraits and the menu's position.

So no vote from me.

• Like 1
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

1. Log's width unjustifiably big for no practical reason.

[...]

4. Really cool, but how would their abilities display? Can you come up with a demonstration?

3. I'd vote for this one, but I'd swap the portraits and the menu's position.

So no vote from me.

I never thought of that. I suppose they would still appear in a horizontal row next to the portrait.

eFoHp9V.png

Obsidian aren't going to move the attack, stop, stealth etc buttons away from the portraits. No design that does that will be considered.

Knowing you, I guess you have source for where they said that, so I don't doubt that is so, and you also mentioned it before, but I included this just to see how many people would vote for it. :)

Edited by Gairnulf

eFoHp9V.png

Yeah from the old UI discussions. There's a reason why they are next to the portraits because it's the shortest mouse distance from them. The other menu buttons (Stronghold etc) don't need to be next to them but the other ones do.

A more elegant design can probably be created than what they currently have, you jusy have to be aware of that haha.

Yeah from the old UI discussions. There's a reason why they are next to the portraits because it's the shortest mouse distance from them. The other menu buttons (Stronghold etc) don't need to be next to them but the other ones do.

A more elegant design can probably be created than what they currently have, you jusy have to be aware of that haha.

That's a weird argument on their behalf, but I don't want to use this thread for arguments.

Oh, yes, I am well aware, and I think we all are :D

eFoHp9V.png

Ah, I understand :lol: Well, if their restrictions contradict basic logic, then we all lose out, but I doubt they would refuse to reconsider the central buttons bar's position. The argument that people need these buttons there because they are close to character portraits is ridiculous in my opinion, and I can easily prove this to the person who brought it up. After all, the point of a poll is to see what people prefer, sans anyone's restrictions. That's why I have included the present layout among the options. If the majority thinks it's very important to have their buttons near the portraits, they will say so :)

Edited by Gairnulf

eFoHp9V.png

I don't think it contradicts basic logic for buttons like attack, stop etc because players who use the mouse for everything will click a portrait (or character in game) and then move their mouse to the attack button to issue a group attack when not in combat (etc), I can see the merit in keeping those buttons close to the portraits.

However I can also see the merit in not doing that because half the time players don't actually select the portraits but rather the characters on screen.

Like I said though, based on the UI discussions in 2013, I don't think they will accept any designs with those buttons not next to the portraits.

No option for portraits in the middle, log left, buttons right?

'None of the above' would get my 'perfect' vote but Sensuki's is the closest so far.

Waiting to see how it looks with the solid IE-style background but hopefuly we can have a 'best of both worlds' and allow the 3 sections to be moved on top of that.

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

You are going to make me seriously enter this discussion again.  I voted for the default UI as I legitimately prefer it over all posted.  Even over Sensuki's, which in all fairness boils down to just being the default UI flipped over so the log is on the left and party on right.

^That's more like it - but make more use of the horizontal space - maybe expand the combat log a little and make portraits larger / give more space between for status-effect-icons that then don't need to cover the picture.

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I would actually prefer a portrait sidebar with the action bar in the middle of the screen, but I don't think Obsidian would be willing to move the portraits away from the action bar, so I've never bothered to do a design for it.

You are going to make me seriously enter this discussion again.  I voted for the default UI as I legitimately prefer it over all posted.  Even over Sensuki's, which in all fairness boils down to just being the default UI flipped over so the log is on the left and party on right.

And the size of the log and portrait windows increased, while the menu is made smaller, among other things.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

attachicon.gifMock up 2 POE3.jpg

what you guys think about this one ? when you click on a unit, spells and options are in the middle of the screen.

I went through such an option too, but I didn't submit it, because I thought the buttons were too disconnected from the rest of the elements in that corner. I'll update the options for the voting with your variants. Edited by Gairnulf

eFoHp9V.png

Maybe an additional poll regarding usage and preferences of Main HUD / UI would be helpful as well. Since there’s only 3 questions allowed in one poll, it would have to be split (eg combat log issued could be in a separate poll), something like

1. Which of the icons surrounding the big clock icon do you NOT use AT ALL
  • Attack icon (sword)
  • Undo icon ( ‘X’ )
  • Formation icon (6 ­‘dots’)
  • Group party icon (Hand in a Frame)
  • none (i use all of them)
  1. When you PAUSE the action, you
  • Click on the big clock icon
  • Press Spacebar
  1. When you SELECT a party member, you
  • Click on the party member portrait
  • Click on the party member selection circle
  • Press one of the assigned keys
  1. The Party member portrait size is
  • Fine as it is
  • Should be bigger
  • Should be smaller
  1. The size of the icons is
  • Fine as it is
  • Should be bigger
  • Should be smaller
  1. The combat log should be placed
  • To the left side of the screen
  • In the middle of the screen
  • To the right side of the screen (where it is now)
  1. The combat log should display
  • What it displays currently
  • Enemy related info (effects/hits/action) + Party related info (effects/hits/action)
  • Info should be filtered
  1. The distance between the UI elements when using the mouse is
  • Fine as it currently is
  • Too long
  • Wouldn’t mind longer distance
  1. Following elements of the UI are obscuring my view
  • Action bar icons (icons assigning commands for each party member)
  • Elements over the 3d character/enemy models
  • Pop-up windows illustrating/explaining the action bar selection
  • It’s fine as it is, no UI elements are obscuring my view
  1. I’d like effects on my party members be displayed as
  • Icons over the party member portraits as it is now
  • Icons within the party member portraits like in IE games (eg Baldurs Gate 2)
  1. I’d like to have an ‘action icon’ displayed on the party member portrait like in the EE versions of BG1/BG2 showing that your command was acknowledged, which action you assigned and that the party member is not idle
  • yes
  • no
  1. Following UI elements are  missing
  • Slots for inventory
  • Slots for quick items
  • Weapon slots
  • Ground items slots
  • Other (I will address it in my post)

I'm with Silent Winter, I would like portraits in the middle. That's where the skill buttons and status effect markers pop up and health/stamina status is displayed, I want all that info in the most central place.

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

Damn, I found I cant't edit the poll any more. :( I guess it's tied to a specific timeafter it has been started. Ok, anyone who has a preference that isn't listed, write it in a comment.

Edited by Gairnulf

eFoHp9V.png

Here's the current HUD without retarded wasting of space:

WMISwEe.jpg

And yes, the area where the level up button would be is taken up by status effects, no reason why the level up button couldn't just be added to the status effect bar always in the top left position.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 2