Pro Hoops 2K14-2K15

Leferd

Wow UAB knocks off Iowa State, Georgia St knocks out Baylor, Texas is out (dammit man I was sure they would make a run) and Ohio State has it's hands full with VCU. All the sudden my bracket isn't looking so good.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Wow UAB knocks off Iowa State, Georgia St knocks out Baylor, Texas is out (dammit man I was sure they would make a run) and Ohio State has it's hands full with VCU. All the sudden my bracket isn't looking so good.

18 games finished and 2 underway (WVU and N.Iowa with double digit leads) and only four higher seeds lost.   That seems about par for the course at this stage.   The only real shockers in those four upsets were Georgia State and UAB.  Ohio State is schizophrenic - you never know whether the "good" OSU team is going to show or the "bad" version.  lol 

And in NBA news, Durant is now out indefinitely.  That opens the door for the Unibrow (who has been left out of all the MVP talk despite having a PER that is TOTALLY off the charts) to carry the Pelicans to the playoffs.  If NO makes the playoffs, Davis would get my vote.  Without him, that team is a dumpster fire - a surefire lottery team.   As good as Lebron is, without him the Cavs would still probably make the playoffs in a weak eastern conference. 

Edited by kgambit

And in NBA news, Durant is now out indefinitely. That opens the door for the Unibrow (who has been left out of all the MVP talk despite having a PER that is TOTALLY off the charts) to carry the Pelicans to the playoffs. If NO makes the playoffs, Davis would get my vote. Without him, that team is a dumpster fire - a surefire lottery team. As good as Lebron is, without him the Cavs would still probably make the playoffs in a weak eastern conference.

Good news for Westbrook. Allows him to pad himself some counting number stats! Speaking of which, I absolutely loathe PER. It's a deeply flawed metric that heavily skews towards well...counting statistics.

Anthony Davis as MVP would be absurd. He's a top 5 player for sure (at age 22!!) but he's not impacting the game to the same degree as his stats would otherwise say. Ironically enough, he actually has more impact on the offensive end than on defense.

If he's truly an elite defensive player, then why are the Pelicans only 23rd in the league in Defensive Efficiency?

Why are they 22nd in FG% Defense?

If he's a monster on the boards, why are the Pelicans only 13th in Defensive Rebound %?

Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Turning a bad team into a mediocre team doesn't make you an MVP. Being the best defensive player in an awful defensive team doesn't make you a legit Defensive Player of the Year candidate.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

With the Rockets and Spurs still nipping their hind leg fur the Grizz are holding tight to the division lead and the 2 seed. But they have a busy week coming. First Portland, then all the way to New York to take on the Knicks ( a trap game if I ever saw one) then home for Cleveland, no easy task there, then the Warriors are in town, then down to San Antonio and Sacramento the next day. Six games in eight days including 2 road trips.

We're going to get tickets to either the Cavs or Warriors game.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

OKC's nightmare season continues as KD has been shut down indefinitely.  KD out until ???, Ibaka out 4-6 weeks, if not for the Enes Kanter pickup, they'd be dead in the water, even with Russ going out of his mind.  It's crazy that they'll probably still make the playoffs, but they're going to get smoked by GS unless KD and Ibaka miraculously come back for the playoffs.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Turning a bad team into a mediocre team doesn't make you an MVP. Being the best defensive player in an awful defensive team doesn't make you a legit Defensive Player of the Year candidate.

Turning a totally crap team into a playoff team MIGHT however.    Ask yourself where NO would be without Davis.  I don't care WHERE his contributions come from - offense or defense - he simply makes that team MUCH better.  Without Curry GS is STILL a playoff team although certainly not one with the best record. 

FWIW I never mentioned anything about whether he was a legit defensive player of the year candidate. 

And back to March Madness.  lol

Midwest Regional goes chalk and except for Dayton (!) so does the East. 

Edited by kgambit

Turning a totally crap team into a playoff team MIGHT however.    Ask yourself where NO would be without Davis.  I don't care WHERE his contributions come from - offense or defense - he simply makes that team MUCH better.  Without Curry GS is STILL a playoff team although certainly not one with the best record. 

So by the same argument, if turning a crap team into a playoff team (#8 seed at best) deserves an MVP award, how about turning a mediocre team (and possibly a borderline playoff team at best) into a great team (with historical implications: #1 Offense, #1 Defense, fastest pace, most assists since the Showtime Lakers, largest point differential since '96 Bulls)?

With Stephen Curry off the floor, the Warriors are essentially a mediocre team (actually slightly negative +/- point differential). 

Doesn't leading a borderline playoff team into the league's most dominant deserve more MVP credence than turning a poor team into a borderline playoff team?

Not to take anything away from Davis, Lebron, Harden, or Westbrook, but Curry is the clear choice.

Davis and Westbrook won't win for the fact that leading a team to the 8 seed isn't going to cut it when there are clearly other deserving winners for contending teams also putting up very good stats.

Lebron and Harden are solid choices. But  their numbers aren't great enough nor are they more impactful than what Curry is doing with the Warriors. When a team is clearly the best in the league (and winning convincingly in terms of win totals and point differential) and their best player is putting up elite numbers --both in traditional and in advanced metrics, then Curry is the best choice.

Edited by Leferd
  • Like 1

"Lebron and Harden are solid choices. But  their numbers aren't great enough nor are they more impactful than what Curry is doing with the Warriors."

Kidding about Lebron right?  Cavs just clinched playoffs last night after missing the last 4 seasons... coincidentally, last time they made it he was also running the show there. Meanwhile, the team he was on last season that had made 4 straight finals is  fighting for their playoff lives and even if they end up making it is gonna be with a really crappy record. If that's making an extreme impact that nothing is. Just also look at Cavs' record WITHOUT Lebron this season as well. Case closed.

Curry played for GS last season. Why wasn't he having this type of 'impact' last season?

Those 'advanced stats' are so stupid. If you go by stats it's Westbrook bcause he's been getting triple doubles almost every night.

Bottom line is that Lebron changes a team's bottom line. From loser teasm to championship contender. That's making an impact. MVP  isn't (well shouldn't) be about silly stats 9even thoguh Lebron is right up there too). It's about MOST VALUABLE PLAYER. That's clearly Lebron.

\

No doubt if Curry played for Cavs they would not be as good as they are now. FACT,.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Golden State was a major loser before they got Curry.  They don't make the playoffs the last two years without him being healthy and running the team.  He made them a contender.  

Lebron doesn't even play in the best conference.  

Doesn't leading a borderline playoff team into the league's most dominant deserve more MVP credence than turning a poor team into a borderline playoff team?

No.  MVP isn't about who plays on the better team.  I agree it is about making the biggest impact though.  It's about who raises the performance of his team the most.  And you can do that by taking a dumpster fire of a team to the playoffs JUST as readily as you can by raising the level of a good team to historically good levels.   It's about relative improvements. 

Davis' PER is HISTORICALLY off the charts.  It ranks as one of the top 5 of ALL time.   Yeah the Pelicans are a one and done assuming they make it, but that doesn't matter. 

If you don't like PER as a measure, that's fine.  But it's every bit as valid as +/- imo.  

I simply don't think it is such a clear cut call as you make it. And frankly, Westbrook's stats are better across the board and he's had to raise the level of his game without Ibaka and now Durant.  And wasn't that one of the arguments we all used last year when advocating Durant for MVP?  

Sorry.  I get the case you make but I do not think it's cut and dried. 

And no, Volo.  LeBron is NOT the MVP this year. You continue to equate MVP and being the best player and that is not true.  Even if it were,  it's questionable whether Lebron's stats this year put him on the top of the list.   Harden and Westbrook are outscoring him; Westbrook and Curry are dishing out more assists.  Davis's PER is WAY higher and leading the league in blocks and is pulling down 10+ rebounds a game plus he's just a hair behind LBJ in scoring.  And he's doing it with a totally crap team.     

"Volo just wants to give Lebron the MVP award at the beginning of the season.  He's the best player, who cares if someone has better stats?"

MVP isn't supposed to be about stats 89sadly it often it is). It is about most valuable player. There are stat categories for those who lead them to brag about. L0L

Funny how people conviently ignore   the comparison of CLE-MIA fortunes in the past 6 season based on whether or not they have Lebron.

He's not just the best player. he's the most valuable.

FACT.

But, I know I know. I be boring to actually reward the right person every season. Gotta let everyone be a winner so the 'feels' is spread out.

I just bought two tickets to the Grizz/Cavs game. I was expecting that game to be near sold out and there to be plenty of tickets to the Grizz/Warriors game. It was the other way around. All that's left for GSW is the club seats (which start at $200 no thank you) and the nosebleed. I got sect 205 2nd row. Not too bad.

I guess Lebron is not the draw I thought he'd be.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Funny how people conviently ignore   the comparison of CLE-MIA fortunes in the past 6 season based on whether or not they have Lebron.

No one is ignoring it but you simply will not accept the FACT that someone can be more valuable than LeBron.. 

And now we return to March Madness ......

UCLA bounces UAB to be the first team into the sweet 16

Kentucky has a 7 point lead at halftime over Cincinnati

Steve Nash is done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mfDqrjEEjw

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/steve-nash-retirement/

"Don Nelson insisted that I score. I always wanted to pass but he said, “It’s goddamn selfish when you don’t shoot.” Or, “If you’re a dominant f****** player — dominate!” He insisted that I be aggressive. That growth was a turning point in my career."

Edited by Leferd

"No one is ignoring it but you simply will not accept the FACT that someone can be more valuable than LeBron.."

\

Because nobody is.

\

And, Nash is trash. Good riddance to bad rubbish. the fakist FAKE MVP of all time. The worst NBA MVP EVAR!

And now Villanova is out. My bracket, already on life support, is now shot.

Thomas Sowell

And, Nash is trash. Good riddance to bad rubbish. the fakist FAKE MVP of all time. The worst NBA MVP EVAR!

Lols.  And right on queue. 

steve-nash-e1389107732498.jpg?w=300&h=22

Why do you hate Canadia so much?

• Like 2

Lols.  And right on queue. 

My March Madness bracket should be so easy to predict.   LOL

• Like 2