Looking for an online gaming group!

PoisonWar

I kicked a door in a mofo's face.

I sonic blasted a fish to death when it struck me.

What else do you want from me? :p

And you hissed angrily at the idea of people gene-engineered for maximum servility, which was a nice character touch.

Yeah, Vycarion is badass. And then you have the fact that he's a mother****ing dragon.

• Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

So, what's the plan for this week?

If Marky'd like to join and there's interest, I'd gladly continue the nautical campaign.

Or we can play one of the other, like, five games we have lined up (assuming Serj's up to GMing, otherwise you're likely stuck with my game  :lol:).

Group vote?

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Well on one hand, you were headed into an underground prison effectively ran by the inmates, in search of a mysterious Key, based on the ramblings you've read in a tattered journal, bound in strange leathers, that was written by a madman with a giant lobster claw for a hand. So I'm all kinds of curious what you'll make of the situation at hand.

On the other hand, I wouldn't want to inflict the chargen taking upwards an hour (okay, it's probably a lot shorter with a non-caster) on Marky if he's otherwise not that interested.

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid

Well on one hand, you were headed into an underground prison effectively ran by the inmates, in search of a mysterious Key, based on the ramblings you've read in a tattered journal, bound in strange leathers, that was written by a madman with a giant lobster claw for a hand. So I'm all kinds of curious what you'll make of the situation at hand.

On the other hand, I wouldn't want to inflict the chargen taking upwards an hour (okay, it's probably a lot shorter with a non-caster) on Marky if he's otherwise not that interested.

Well, as a Bard I can always be the caster, so.. that's alright.

Besides I heard D&D 5e is a lot better about party balance.

Well, as a Bard I can always be the caster, so.. that's alright.

Besides I heard D&D 5e is a lot better about party balance.

Well we actually have two casters (a cleric and a bard), so it's not unreasonable to think a non-caster would help rounding out the party a bit.

As for balance... well. Fighties definitely don't get as many cool toys as their wizardly counterparts (especially on higher levels), but the 3E plague of wizard >>> everything else seems to be less pronounced now. Classes all get interesting mechanical tidbits to play with, and I think none of them ever become hopelessly overshadowed (maybe except the ranger).

Hey guys, I'll gladly join the D&D game. Is there anything I should know about fifth edition character creation, or in general? I'm already familiar with second and third edition.

I was thinking of making some kind of a wereshark as my character, since it's a nautical pirate campaign, and turning into a shark at times/will could be fun. Or instead, an at-first-glance stereotypical pirate with a parrot on his shoulder, but with the twist that the parrot is actually the brains, and the pirate is a simple golem. Perhaps the parrot was originally a wizard who's transformation spell went wrong?

Either character would be brutish, intimidating and a brawler.

Edited by Marky

Hey guys, I'll gladly join the D&D game. Is there anything I should know about fifth edition character creation, or in general? I'm already familiar with second and third edition.

I was thinking of making some kind of a wereshark as my character, since it's a nautical pirate campaign, and turning into a shark at times/will could be fun. Or instead, an at-first-glance stereotypical pirate with a parrot on his shoulder, but with the twist that the parrot is actually the brains, and the pirate is a simple golem. Perhaps the parrot was originally a wizard who's transformation spell went wrong?

Either character would be brutish, intimidating and a brawler.

I'd peg it as easier to learn than 2E or 3E. 2E had lots of fiddly little rules/subsystems that had to be learned on their own, while 5E is much more streamlined and logical. On the other hand, 3E had glaring balance issues giving rise to the need to get really good at optimization. In 5E, most of the chargen complexity is optional.

As for your concepts, I think we need to tinker with the system a bit to realize either. The wereshark I can probably hack together using Totem Barbarian and the guidelines for shifters on various Eberron blogs. The pirate-parrot is an altogether different beast; I'd probably look up the rules on familiars for the parrot and do the golem as a straight fighter (Champion specialization) with the caveat that he loses all capacity to use higher cognitive functions when the parrot falls unconscious. How about I stat up both and we'll see how you like 'em?

Okay, wereshark is actually quite easy. Race as half-orc, barbarian rage = shifting, regeneration is modelled by the Relentless Endurance racial trait (reskinned to represent a last-minute "overcharge" of your regenerative capabilities) and the resist all damage except psychic of the Bear Totem (reskinned to represent healing injuries as fast as you gain them). You get water breathing as long as you rage are in wereshark form, but in exchange, you can only use the rituals from Spirit Seeker on sharks (you can talk to them and borrow their senses).

• Like 1

So, quick question: are you planning on exploring the rest of the dungeon (ie. should I expand it into something more gameable than a series of branches off the main path with something punitive tucked away at the end of every such branch), or is my time better spent working on the other locations?