Looking for an online gaming group!

PoisonWar

I'll also add bite as a weapon. Is it a pierce weapon that does double damage on a critical hit?

In 5E, crits straight-up double all damage on the attack, no fiddling with different critical multipliers.

So yeah, piercing weapon with 1d8 base +2d8 bonus critical damage (since it's a melee weapon and therefore benefits from your Savage Attack racial trait).

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

So, I have updated everybody's character sheets with current xp, xp needed to level, class features and class resources (like barbarian rage wereshark shapeshifting, bardic inspiration, channel divinity and thunderous rebuke).

Both casters can pick up a new cantrip. Moreover, Fubsy gains a new spell and can switch out another for one of his choice. Your HP also increases: Vycarion and Fubsy can roll 1d8 or take 5, Joxnir can roll 1d12+3 or take 10.

I also wrote up the benefits your named crew members provide.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Session summaries were promised; session summaries shall be delivered. I wrote up session 2 so far, and retroactively made notes of session 3-6.

Also, the original module's writers are hungry for player feedback, and I'm a big believer in giving back to the community, so feel free to provide me with such. (I should probably offer inspiration for it.)

Note: these summaries are incomplete and you're actively encouraged to expand them.

Without further ado:

Chapter 1, session 2 (The Treasure Trove)

The half-orc wereshark, Joxnir joined the party, and was swiftly brought up to speed regarding, well, everything. After his orientation, the threesome explored their new ship, noting that they’re rather low on supplies: the only food they found in the Serpent’s cargo hold was stale bread and maggot-ridden meat. On the other hand, it was rather well-stocked with bottles of alcohol containing dead animals. Lacking an appreciation for the finer things in life, Joxnir immediately sampled these, and found them to his liking.

At this point, the party split up, possibly due to an inability to stomach the sight of the wereshark guzzling down the foul liquid. Fubsy went to the Royal Liquor to report his findings about the Walrus Skull Island to his mentor Gregory, who didn’t seem to be pleased with funding an expedition that brought home nothing but possibly cursed old bones. He was dismissed shortly thereafter.

Meanwhile, following the cryptic ramblings of the previous captain's log, Vycarion decided to break into the Treasure Trove. After some searching, he found a trapdoor marked with the symbol of the Serpent. Upon opening it, creepy music started playing, so he quickly closed it and went to get the others.

Exiting the smoky backroom of the Royal Liquor, the halfling was soon faced with the terrible realization that he spent all his money on throwing knives. Wanting to buy a drink, he decided he’ll pick the pocket of a guy in a fancy hat. To increase his chances, he cunningly used Joxnir as a distraction, sending him to the second-fanciest table with a bottle of Dead Animals™-brand wine as “a gift from the house”. I decided the clientele of the Royal Liquor is jaded enough to find nothing remarkable about a muscular, half-naked orc guy serving them (besides, he has a positive CHA modifier, after all), so they only realized something was amiss when they tasted the horrible beverage. They started yelling and demanded the barbarian to be fired. He took offense at their inability to appreciate the brew, so he changed into wereshark form and yelled back. They responded by screaming like a bunch of little girls and jumping out on the window before he could get any closer. However, they were not the only ones reacting extremely: gazing upon Joxnir’s terrible countenance, the barmaid started wailing uncontrollably and tried to claw out her own eyes (botched Wisdom saving throw). The calamity provided Fubsy with the distraction he sought, allowing him to lift 2d10 gold pieces from Fanciest Hat Guy. Sadly, it also drew the attention of Gregory, who, upon seeing that his employee can’t even cope with the sight of a hulking sharklike monstrosity with three rows of razor-sharp teeth, fired her immediately while grumbling about “kids these days”. Feeling terrible about causing an innocent bystander to lose her job, Fubsy… stalked her on her way home, taking care to remain unnoticed. For some reason. Also, his newfound interest absolutely had nothing to do with the fact that said barmaid was a busty redhead, honest.

An unspecified amount of time later, Vycarion arrived in the Royal Liquor to find Joxnir lying on the floor in a drunken stupor. A bucketful of water returned the wereshark to consciousness, and the pair returned to the Serpent, where they met their captain returning from stalking looking for prospective employees.

Prompted by the cleric sharing his findings with them, our heroes headed back to the Treasure Trove to engage in some old-fashioned looting. There was some debate over the meaning of “Undulating Sign”, but the group has finally decided which path to follow. In touch with his inner beast, Fubsy decided to talk to a centipede before proceeding, but as it turns out, creatures whose brain development is limited to the presence of a supraesophageal ganglion don’t make good conversationalists. After passing through caverns marked with the sign of an octopus, a serpent, then a shark, Joxnir became convinced that a giant shark and a similarly oversized octopus must guard the treasure, so he drew on the ancient rites of his people that let him communicate with his kin in order to convince the beast to reenact the cinematic opus Megashark vs. Giant Octopus. Sadly, upon descending into the final chamber, he was immediately grabbed by a tentacle, and came face to face with the terrifying monstrosity that was neither a shark, nor an octopus, but an abominable union of the two: a SHARKTOPUS! The monster struggled mightily, and took a few painful bites out of the barbarian, who foolishly used up all his shapeshifting capabilities earlier, but the combined might of Joxnir’s axe and the spell support of his comrades eventually prevailed, and the creature’s lifeless, mutilated* body sank down to the bottom of the pool.

The only thing left to do was looting the giant chest standing on the island in the middle of the lake, which our heroes did enthusiastically, obtaining an unassuming-looking, but strongly magical telescope and about 800 gold pieces in coins and gems.

*They hacked, like, three tentacles off the poor thing. Not to mention slashing right across its eye. HOW COULD THEY DO THIS

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid
  • Like 2

That was quite the session, i do remember the Vycarion/Joxnir conversation slighty differently... When Vycarion found Joxnir on the floor and threw water on him, that only made him turn into his wareshark form, and didn't wake him. And after he fell asleep again during their conversation.

I like to think that Fubsy was motivated primarily out of guilt.

Mmm... so real life has intervened with my attempts to prep for today's session. How about Sergiy's Wushu game instead?

Alternatively, we could hold a houserule session, where we figure out how naval battles and carousing should work.

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid

So, since my free time is going to be scarce in the next few weeks, and writing up islands is rather time-consuming, next time we're going to play the Dungeon Crawl Classics module Prince Charming, Reanimator instead.

Yay! Reactions! Capital!

Anybody has anything else to add?

Sorry for the late reactions.

Also, the original module's writers are hungry for player feedback, and I'm a big believer in giving back to the community, so feel free to provide me with such. (I should probably offer inspiration for it.)

I didn't realize this was a module. Do they want feedback on anything in particular? It's been very fun, I especially enjoy how we have a ship and crew to take care of, as well as our own characters.

On the other hand, it was rather well-stocked with bottles of alcohol containing dead animals. Lacking an appreciation for the finer things in life, Joxnir immediately sampled these, and found them to his liking.

I remember Joxnir saying "Just like my mother used to make it". :biggrin:

I don't remember the sessions very distinctly from one another. Has it been 7 sessions so far? I think the events went roughly like this:

Session 1: Fubsy and Vycarion met and started an expedition. They found a walrus skull and had an epic bar fight with some skeletons.

Session 2: Joxnir joins the fun!

Session 3: Nothing big happened here; we explored a bit, started considered the possibility of having a crew, and Joxnir pirated a lot of alcohol.

Session 4: We visited the heavy metal church and showed them how to rock! We also visited the prison and stole the key for our ship.

Session 5: The big heist! We stole the blue gem and recruited almost our entire crew from the heavy metal church.

Session 6: We spent the whole session worrying about the ghost ship that was approaching, and upsetting the local island. Iceberg plan was not yet ready for this world.

Session 7: We left the island with a scary ghost ship pursuing us. End of prologue/Chapter 1.

Edited by Marky

Session 1: Fubsy and Vycarion met and started an expedition. They found a walrus skull and had an epic bar fight with some skeletons.

Session 2: Joxnir joins the fun!

Session 3: Nothing big happened here; we explored a bit, started considered the possibility of having a crew, and Joxnir pirated a lot of alcohol.

Session 4: We visited the heavy metal church and showed them how to rock! We also visited the prison and stole the key for our ship.

Session 5: The big heist! We stole the blue gem and recruited almost our entire crew from the heavy metal church.

Session 6: We spent the whole session worrying about the ghost ship that was approaching, and upsetting the local island. Iceberg plan was not yet ready for this world.

Session 7: We left the island with a scary ghost ship pursuing us. End of prologue/Chapter 1.

Myupp.

Also, session 3 was when you got acquainted with Grandpa Turtle and broke down the door to the Filthy Staff with Igor a cannon.