The quests/lore/writing in the beta - likes and dislikes

Starwars

I'm sure there's been topics about this but I figured we could use another one. A huge part of the forums is about discussing the mechanics (understandably so), so let's have this one for the other stuff.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this part of the beta. I quite like the ratio of conversations for one thing. I like the "flow" of the town if that makes sense. I also like that you can "shortcut" your way into the Skaenite dungeon if you're persistant, I hope there's a lot of stuff like that in the full game.

The Blood Ties quest is the best quest as is. Excellent writing overall which doesn't really feel "forced grimdark" even though it is very grim indeed. I've only played through the quest twice but it feels like there's a good amount of options there. I guess I would always like an "Attack option" from *all* nodes in the Skaenite conversation in the dungeon, though you can manually attack him outside of the convo.

The quest with the Orlan in hiding is nice but it also feels really short. Hopefully there'll be some sort of follow-up in the full game, it doesn't really feel like you can "dive in" enough in the details of it.

The pig quest has a boring premise but it's made interesting by the Ogre. Again, it's great that we can actually talk with it and come to an understanding if we wish. And I love that it kinda ties in with the Blood Ties quest (well, the currier tries to make it that way at least).

The dragon egg quest is the most boring one I think, it's just not very exciting. I like the adventuring band near the cliff. I like that there's a scriped interaction there also, but I'm not quite sure what is needed to bring the egg down safely? Athletics and something else, or Survival? I managed it once but I don't remember what skills I had (or what character I used if I used a different one).

I like that there's a Bard in the Inn to tell some lore, but it feels weird in that it's her *only* purpose. You can't ask her at all about the other stuff going on in town which I found pretty weird. Her conversation also feels odd in that it doesn't have much (if any?) descriptive text compared to other conversations.

• Like 7

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I agree that it feels like some things should go farther -

The bard mentions the hidden staff but has nothing to say about it if you find it and speak again - 

you learn things about the missing daughter but it doesn't open any additional conversation with the father in spite of the fact he opens every conversation at that point with the line "have you learned anything yet" (or something along those lines)

Hopefully the gnomes in the dungeons below OE are busy writing more stuff fo add before release... :)

• Like 1

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

Spoilers for Dragon Egg quest

use a grappling hook, bought from town.

Not a win button tried this last time with a PC with 10 athletics (including item boosts) and still dropped the egg... So far I only succeeded once with BB fighter playing on easy - I'm thinking it was the difficulty level that let me complete it then (the rest of my attempts were on normal).

9 in athletics has a 100% win rate out of 6 tries so far for me.

Maybe something else you have (besides athletics) is leading to your success? 

Also what difficulty is this on?

BB_Fighter with best inn buff and grappling hook has always succeeded to receive egg without any problems. 

I wonder if that inn buff is the answer - I might have had that the one time I succeeded...

I am not sure if there is a topic about quests but maybe this one can do.

I just watched on youtube the quest where you confront cultists and you only get two choices: let the girl go or kill her. That is not right. Where is knock her out option?!

Then take her unconcious back to Lord and decide there what to do with her.

• Like 1

I am not sure if there is a topic about quests but maybe this one can do.

I just watched on youtube the quest where you confront cultists and you only get two choices: let the girl go or kill her. That is not right. Where is knock her out option?!

Then take her unconcious back to Lord and decide there what to do with her.

I don't know if it is blocked out in the game, but there are conversation options to tell the Lord about the cultists. Also depending on class choice you get a third option on how to deal with the situation (tried it myself in v. 301).

third option in this exact dialogue?

Because any good character will just knock the girl unconscious (if you can snap her neck you can also just knock her out) and find a solution where nobody dies unless no other option is available.

I understand they wanted to present players with a hard choice here but it was done badly.

What I missing most (correct me if I am wrong) that I didnt find any line where I can confront villagers about freaking cult under their village which they know about (as noted in letter near ogre cave) I want to go to town and confront them about it

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

What I missing most (correct me if I am wrong) that I didnt find any line where I can confront villagers about freaking cult under their village which they know about (as noted in letter near ogre cave) I want to go to town and confront them about it

That sounds like it is reasonable as well.

third option in this exact dialogue?

In the conversation with the head of the cult you have a third option to resolve the issue, if you are of a certain class.

Which Class? I suppose its Cypher 

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Perhaps removed due to links to main quest? 

Capturing the girl alive is part of main quest?!

I doubt it, they are not going to implement only one option needing to be chosen so you can continue main quest.

Additional quests were probably taken out that were connected with main quest. Like confronting the town about cultists, I could see that somehow connected with main quest.

Edited by archangel979

I doubt it, they are not going to implement only one option needing to be chosen so you can continue main quest.

Additional quests were probably taken out that were connected with main quest. Like confronting the town about cultists, I could see that somehow connected with main quest.

Maybe not just main quest but links to storyline/factions/other stuff they didn't want to spoil - I guess my point is it seems to me that the incompleteness of stuff in the BB seems more likely to me to be because it's the BB rather than they intend to release them in this state in the final build.

• Like 2

Maybe not just main quest but links to storyline/factions/other stuff they didn't want to spoil - I guess my point is it seems to me that the incompleteness of stuff in the BB seems more likely to me to be because it's the BB rather than they intend to release them in this state in the final build.

I don't thnk so. It feels more like Obsidian's writers didn't think of the option/didn't have the time to implement it, or they wanted to force a dilemma.

These situations are sadly always bound to crop up in games like these. The trick is then to give you the illusion of freedom, and make the goals and options in it make sense. For instance, since I played the Cipher I could just straight up solve the problem, so I didn't notice the lack of a knockout option.