A Positive Video: Josh Sawyer and Pillars of Eternity

Sensuki

Actually the PMs were rather nice overall it was more "hey good job man I like your beta testing, but I don't like the way you do this this and this"

I thought they were fair, I just wanted to address a specific concern in the video. I'll definitely be splitting the next one up into segments rather than doing a full hour recording I suppose ... I personally prefer doing it all in one go, but a lot of people (including an ex-PE developer) said that devs probably won't watch an hour long video.

I thought TheNationer's point was a fair one also, as he only has 17 posts and joined in August of this year he probably isn't aware of my post history. It would be the exception rather than the rule that anyone actually searches for someones posts as well.

I watched the hour video, and I didn't think it was overly harsh. I came away thinking - potentially good, needs a lot of work...

I agree that you can't expect the devs to watch an hour long video, better to type up your major points, and make 30 second videos of things like the shadows not working correctly.

Josh is pretty blunt with his responses to pointless criticism, (which is great), so if your not getting shot down, I suspect they appreciate the amount of effort you are putting in.

The devs may totally love something but if no one wants it or will use it there isn't much sense in keeping it around which is where some of these discussions go and then more often there is a sort of compromise.

I'm pretty easy-going about mechanics in the things that I play and it's not uncommon for me to implement mechanics I personally do not like if I feel they will improve the game overall.  Most of the design choices I make focus on trying to produce a great experience for the audience, varied as they often are.  In the process of working on RPGs over the past 15 years, I've observed a lot of things that create roadblocks in our games for subsets of people or structural flaws that make it difficult for people to really make a wide variety of viable characters.  If I can fix those elements while still retaining the spirit of the genre, I feel that it is my responsibility to try.  Those attempts don't always work out.  In those cases, we either have to take a different approach or fall back on traditional conventions.

• Like 18

Visions and visionaries are always first questioned, then hated, then suddenly dismissed as "it was always the way to do it, we don't understand the big deal."

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

Visions and visionaries are always first questioned, then hated, then suddenly dismissed as "it was always the way to do it, we don't understand the big deal."

True, for a very, very small percentage of them.

However that's forgetting the other thousands upon thousands if not millions of "visionaries" who are first questioned, then hated, then simply dismissed as "LOL".

edit: That said, not sure why that topic came up, so, sorry for being off-topic Sensuki!

Edited by mutonizer