What happned to the magic words in spell casting?

ctn2003

Did anyone play the old Realms of Arkania games? BG incantations were great, but my favorite are still the (also Latin, but more epic) incantations from Realms of Arkania. "FULMEN!" (throws lightning bolt) or "PLUMBUMBARUM!" (turns enemy's arms to lead). Incredibly menacing VO for an incredibly old game.

Oh yes, the golden age. My favourite was "Rigesce, velut lapis" to petrify an enemy.

• Like 1

Well, I know for a fact that the first two words are "Vita, Mortis", because that's Latin for "Life, Death". Not sure about the third word though.

"vita mortis careo" which would mean "I am deprived of life", but as I remember it was used as a healing spell.

"veritas credo oculus" = "I believe the 'true' eye"

"pressi alia vero" = makes no sense to me "Pressure other but"

"incertus pulcher imperium" = "uncertain handsome government"

either I understood most wrong or it did not make much sense translated from latin ;)

• Like 2

copy/paste

1) Illusion: "Veritas, Credo, Oculos" = "The truth, I believe, with my eyes" or "Truth, I trust my eyes"

2) Alteration: "Praeses, Alia, Fero" = "Protecting, another, I bring this forth" or "I, protecting, bring change"

3) Necromancy: "Vita, Mortis, Careo" = "Life, and death, I am without" or "I separate life from death"

4) Divination: "Scio, Didici, Pecto" = "I know, for I have studied, with my mind" or "I know, I have learned, I seek [to know more]"

5) Abjuration: "Manus, Potentis, Paro" = "A hand, powerful, I prepare" or "I prepare a powerful hand"

6) Evocation: "Incertus, Pulchra, Imperio" = "Uncertain, beautiful things, I command" or "I control beautiful mysteries".

7) Conjuration: "Facio, Voco, Ferre" = "This I do, I call, to bring you forth" or "I make, I call, I bring"

8 ) Enchantment: "Cupio, Virtus, Licet" = "I want, excellence, allowed to me" or "I desire bravery; let it be permitted!"

The first meanings seems to be made using google translate, the second seem to be made with understanding of Latin. Make of that what you will.

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 4

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

lol .."Uncertain noble arts, I command thee!". 

Best warcry ever.

Uh Pulchra could also be pulcher, different quotes from different sources.

• Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Mm. My wizzards always run around speaking to themselves when preparing spells. As a mental excercise.

I'm not sure what worries me more. That you have a Wizzard, that he's constantly speaking to himself, or that he can cast spells.

At least he shows some natural behaviour by constantly running.

Did anyone play the old Realms of Arkania games? BG incantations were great, but my favorite are still the (also Latin, but more epic) incantations from Realms of Arkania. "FULMEN!" (throws lightning bolt) or "PLUMBUMBARUM!" (turns enemy's arms to lead). Incredibly menacing VO for an incredibly old game.

It's actually part of the (semi-serious part)rules of the PnP game that you should at least know and say the large print part of the spells you want to cast. The spell books have longer incantations which are partially latin(usually the first 1-2 words) and partially german. ("Das Schwarze Auge", which the Realms of Arkania games are based on, is a german PnP system)

It's perfectly valid to declare what you want to cast by reciting the full incantation.

• Like 2

Mm. My wizzards always run around speaking to themselves when preparing spells. As a mental excercise.

I'm not sure what worries me more. That you have a Wizzard, that he's constantly speaking to himself, or that he can cast spells.

At least he shows some natural behaviour by constantly running.

...the wizard characters I play, or the wizards I oversee when playing as gamemaster/referee, tend to vocalize spells only for preparation..?

I see nothing weird about any of that, at all. :p

• Like 1

The injustice must end! Sign the petition and Free the Krug!

...the wizard characters I play, or the wizards I oversee when playing as gamemaster/referee, tend to vocalize spells only for preparation..?

No, the Wizzards. I'm sure the wizards are busy enough on their own to not worry about to much as long as they don't notice you.

• Like 1

No, the Wizzards. I'm sure the wizards are busy enough on their own to not worry about to much as long as they don't notice you.

I'm drawing a blank on my obscure reference lore here. I am defeated.

• Like 1

The injustice must end! Sign the petition and Free the Krug!

copy/paste

1) Illusion: "Veritas, Credo, Oculos" = "The truth, I believe, with my eyes" or "Truth, I trust my eyes"

2) Alteration: "Praeses, Alia, Fero" = "Protecting, another, I bring this forth" or "I, protecting, bring change"

3) Necromancy: "Vita, Mortis, Careo" = "Life, and death, I am without" or "I separate life from death"

4) Divination: "Scio, Didici, Pecto" = "I know, for I have studied, with my mind" or "I know, I have learned, I seek [to know more]"

5) Abjuration: "Manus, Potentis, Paro" = "A hand, powerful, I prepare" or "I prepare a powerful hand"

6) Evocation: "Incertus, Pulchra, Imperio" = "Uncertain, beautiful things, I command" or "I control beautiful mysteries".

7) Conjuration: "Facio, Voco, Ferre" = "This I do, I call, to bring you forth" or "I make, I call, I bring"

8 ) Enchantment: "Cupio, Virtus, Licet" = "I want, excellence, allowed to me" or "I desire bravery; let it be permitted!"

The first meanings seems to be made using google translate, the second seem to be made with understanding of Latin. Make of that what you will.

Is this the BG incantations? I thought I remembered Necromancy sounding something like "Agua-enma-tadma-te" or something like that. At least Cure Light Wounds (a necromancy spell) did.

• Like 1

I'm drawing a blank on my obscure reference lore here. I am defeated.

As are the wizzards. Usually.

tumblr_mjk9b81dQu1qglonbo1_1280.jpg

• Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com