Characters disappearing from party

Douglas H

Question

[Description of the issue]

Characters disappear from party at random.  Sometimes character model disappears, sometime just portrait. Somtimes characters reappear later.

[DETAILED list of steps to reproduce the issue AND what to look for]

Example:

1.) Load game saved in Stormwall Gorge. Notice PC and BB Rogue are missing clothing/armor.

2.) Fight way to Lle a Rhenen

3.) Defeat three humanoids at entrance.

4.) Enter Lle a Rhemen

5.) At first junction take path to right and encounter spectres. BB Fighter, BB Priest, BB Mage incapacitated.

6.) Retreat with main character paladin and BB Rogue. Rogue incapacitated

7.) Defeat spectres with lone Paladin (takes no damage)

8.) Party revives, except for BB rogue, who disappears.

9.) Fight way to entrance to second level.

10.) Clear webs.

11.) Enter level 2.

12.) Charge through trap to engage spiders, BB Priest goes down.

13.) Defeat spiders, Priest disappears.

14.) Get to Spider-faced Mindflayer, engage in dialogue.

15.) Allow SFMF to leave in peace.

16.) Leave Lle a Rhemen

17.) BB Rogue and BB Priest are back.

[Expected behaviour]

Characters don't disappear without warning.

[Files]

I couldn't relevant files, but am willing submit them in another fashion if necessary.

10 answers to this question

I had similar issue today cleric (and portrait) disappears at end of lion battle (may have died) - explored further without her -

transitioned back to town where cleric and mage are now "stuck together" cleric portrait still missing and cleric is not picked up by gathering party -

managed to separate them by clicking individually and moving and after entering tavern noticed mage portrait was replaced by cleric - mage still standing around outside.

(no save available - sorry)

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

Posting in this thread because I have a similar issue. When going down the stairs after defeating the Pwgra, at the bottom is a hole on the left that you can descend if you have a grappling hook. I did so, but on getting to the bottom of that, my BB Fighter disappeared. I decided to keep exploring, assuming perhaps this was intentional and he'd be found somewhere later in that area. Soon thereafter my game crashed.

Now, upon loading my save from before I descended the stairway, my BB Fighter is with the party (as he should be), but there's no portrait for him at the bottom left. I can interact with him (select and move him). Screenie attached to illustrate, and save game can be found here:

http://www.upload.ee/files/4231731/88fdf92d55d54e1097342b16c97f00be_StormwallGorge_7798877.savegame.html

post-42066-0-16920200-1409154285_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ink Blot

Hello all,

Thank you for your postings. These characters are likely being killed in combat. Once the green health bar (to the left of the portrait) is depleted the character will become maimed. Maimed means that they will stand up after that combat with 1 health point. If they do not have the opportunity to rest before losing that health point, they will be permanently killed.

An exception to this situation is the Death feature under Expert Mode in the Options Menu. This skips the Maimed step entirely.

Now there is also a known issue where when your characters die permanently, they will return to the party and often take the position of other characters. This happens on transitions and Save/Load and often pushes characters off of the nav mesh or off of the map entirely. Once a character has died there is no known way to avoid them coming back and causing issues with the rest of the party. That is why it is one of our highest priority issues that we're working to resolve before the next update.

Thank you all for your support during the beta!  :sorcerer:

• Like 1

Hello all,

Thank you for your postings. These characters are likely being killed in combat. Once the green health bar (to the left of the portrait) is depleted the character will become maimed. Maimed means that they will stand up after that combat with 1 health point. If they do not have the opportunity to rest before losing that health point, they will be permanently killed.

NCarver, could BB Fighter have died from a fall during that descent? Maybe that's why he didn't appear with my party when they got to the bottom? I may have missed that in the log or during the story boards. If this is the case, then it would explain the issue, given the bug with dead characters.

That is entirely possible. I don't recall that specific scripted interactions effects, but I believe that they can deal damage.

Cool. Maybe I'll dig around the game files and see if that's a possible scripted outcome.

Now there is also a known issue where when your characters die permanently, they will return to the party and often take the position of other characters. This happens on transitions and Save/Load and often pushes characters off of the nav mesh or off of the map entirely. Once a character has died there is no known way to avoid them coming back and causing issues with the rest of the party. That is why it is one of our highest priority issues that we're working to resolve before the next update.

This bug really ruins the game for anyone who wants to play with character death or make a custom party (because now the only way to free up party slots is by killing off the default party members)

Great to hear that fixing this is given high priority.

Edited by Lord Vicious

Posting in this thread because I have a similar issue. When going down the stairs after defeating the Pwgra, at the bottom is a hole on the left that you can descend if you have a grappling hook. I did so, but on getting to the bottom of that, my BB Fighter disappeared. I decided to keep exploring, assuming perhaps this was intentional and he'd be found somewhere later in that area. Soon thereafter my game crashed.

Now, upon loading my save from before I descended the stairway, my BB Fighter is with the party (as he should be), but there's no portrait for him at the bottom left. I can interact with him (select and move him). Screenie attached to illustrate, and save game can be found here:

I had a similar problem last night. I was  in the Dyrford Ruins and had just finished a fight. One of the characters was stuck so I saved the game and quit. Everyone in my party (including the Small Earth Blight) had full stamina when I saved. When I reloaded (from the menu screen), my Small Earth Blight was completely missing and BB Rogue and BB Fighter weren't shown in my party. It was the same situation as in your screenshot. I could move them, however. 

Edited by oaktownbrown

I had this issue when playing the latest build, it was a few days ago but I don't think my party members were killed. 1 disappeared after a combat and then when I went outside the cave to see if transitioning to another area brought them back, another 1 disappeared too. I haven't played for a while so I might be forgetting something.

My main problem is that when 3 of my characters died (2 definitely died, not sure about the third. Bloody Spider Queen), one of them followed me (the BB Priest) out of the cave and then broke from then on. Her profile is no longer in the team but her icon is floating on the edges of the map as if she were still there. I have no idea if she is alive or dead because if I go back to the cave, she'll probably be standing right there. I don't know what to do to fix this...

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/261/b/d/untitled_by_yunikoyokai-d7znho7.png

My Blind Journey through the Beta. Join my transgender Paladin as I struggle to get to grips with the game and its mechanics. Well, I never said my first journey into an isometric RPG would be smooth, now did I?

My Adventure through Baldur's Gate. Inspired by my play of PoE, I decide to pick up a much fabled game of the genre. Join Solana as I delve into this world of weird, wonderful and annoying people.