Backer Beta Class Discussion

Marceror

Use this thread to discuss the 11 classes presented in the Pillars of Eternity Backer Beta.

A couple of initial observations, I like that, compared to DnD each class starts with more hitpoints. So I would expect initial survivability to be better than it was at early level in D&D.

With respect to the Paladin, I have really no idea which order I should choose. I understand that there are penalties or bonuses for each order depending on how you play. I was originally thinking I'd start with this class, but now I'm considering trying something a little more straight forward.

I thought I had it all figured out, but now that I'm in the game, I'm as indecisive as anything. Guess I'll just pick something and run with it.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Picked the chanter was I love me some bards .

Loved how you build your "songs" to have different effects but the lots and lots necromatic abilities feels a bit off? Also was hard to tell what half of them did or how long the buff effects lasted?

Picked the chanter was I love me some bards .

Loved how you build your "songs" to have different effects but the lots and lots necromatic abilities feels a bit off? Also was hard to tell what half of them did or how long the buff effects lasted?

I have always loved bard type classes and its nice to see that the chanter is tougher overall then the typical bard like class.  Always felt like bards were unnecessarily fragile in other games.  Although kind of stinks in the known issue list chanters are said to be OP.  Hopefully thats in reference to their abilities and not base stats (stamina/life, base weapon accuracies, deflection, etc...)

Based on the fact that dialogue seems only to occur through you created PC, and your PNPCs don't help, this for me is favoring creating a high Int, high perception character.

This is sort of unfortunate, but based on the way things are currently, it seems that if you don't have a high perception character you are going to miss a lot game opportunities.

So this is pushing me toward playing a rogue, perhaps exclusively.

OTOH, maybe by doing this I will be closing the door on other game opportunities (e.g. game options that can only be triggered by high STR characters)?

I hope the disappearing gear bug is resolved soon, since I can't see much point in playing any class if my party's weapons and such continue to disappear.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

@Marceror IIRC there was a dialogue option in the gamescon video that required high Resolve. I'm thinking of playing as a paladin with good might and resolve or a druid with good intellect and perception. This will probably change constantly until the game is released, but I think we can't explore all options in one playthrough and that is good.

sign.jpg

After playing with a Chanter for a while it became pretty obvious why they are so overpowered. In the first fight in the crossroads I summoned a phantom which was kind enough to stick around. Then the next fight I summoned three skeletons which also stayed with the party. I then sent them forward to spring the next attack and let them at it for a while to see how they did. After a couple of them fell I summoned some more skeletons thinking they would replace the skeletons already in the fight. By the end of that fight I had 9 skeletons working for me as well as the phantom as all the fallen undead got back to their feet. By the end of it I had a horde of 15 skeletons roaming around the area destroying everything they found.

Incredibly overpowered but a lot of fun.