Republican Party

Hurlshort

Do you think if you  criminalize homosexuality you will have more  stable families? Because that's what they do in the Middle East and I wouldn't say there cultures or family structures are better off than the USA?

Well, Middle East is pretty much all homosexual, criminality or not. Which is also an argument against people being born homosexual, that and Ancient Greece. And no, any one thing doesn't affect stable families, it's a combination of many things, it's the culture in general. Not so long ago when sodomy was illegal, families were also more stable. It's not that one caused the other, it's that the culture was completely different, and caused both.

As an outsider it seems to me that the Democrats, like all left-leaning governments, are making hay with identity politics and importing more and more client voters. Your Southern, South Western and even Western states seem destined for cessation at this rate.

Nah, I don't see any kind of a serious secessionist movement, even in Texas, I guess we've become sheep. May be if they try to take away our guns. 

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

we had a german poli-sci professor at Cal that never got tired o' pointing out just how homogenized both major US political parties is... which is kinda fascinating when you realize how much more diverse the US is compared to the majority o' european parliamentary nations.  we got left v. right here in the US, but folks who actual gets elected is almost invariably extreme moderate compared to what folks elsewhere considers left v. right.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

we had a german poli-sci professor at Cal that never got tired o' pointing out just how homogenized both major US political parties is... which is kinda fascinating when you realize how much more diverse the US is compared to the majority o' european parliamentary nations.  we got left v. right here in the US, but folks who actual gets elected is almost invariably extreme moderate compared to what folks elsewhere considers left v. right.

HA! Good Fun!

Absolutely. This is why your kulturkampf is so bitter - in Europe we genuinely have WTF moments over the stuff Americans feel so bitter about. Guns and abortion. ORLY?

Mind you, Centrist, stale government is becoming a feature of Western European politics, but that will change. The post WW2 global settlement is now completely dead, it's twitching corpse making ripples that will affect us all. I think, soon, arguing about guns and bibles might seem quaint compared to the more urgent challenges the West will face.

sonsofgygax.JPG

HA! Good Fun!

Absolutely. This is why your kulturkampf is so bitter - in Europe we genuinely have WTF moments over the stuff Americans feel so bitter about. Guns and abortion. ORLY?

Mind you, Centrist, stale government is becoming a feature of Western European politics, but that will change. The post WW2 global settlement is now completely dead, it's twitching corpse making ripples that will affect us all. I think, soon, arguing about guns and bibles might seem quaint compared to the more urgent challenges the West will face.

And in your opinion what are urgent issues the West faces?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

^ You aren't interested in my opinion so I see little reason to share it with you. Besides, you will only disagree with slightly patronising homilies about why I'm so wrong.

Wow, that's a very defensive and unhelpful comment.

Of course I'm interested, why else would I ask....I mean how else can I disagree with you if I don't know what you think ;)

But on a serious note it concerns me that you think  that is the reason I asked you that, I obviously have created the wrong impression about why I ask certain questions. You often give interesting and pertinent views on various  topics, like all your advice on London.  And I do resect your views, I just don't always agree with them. But that's not the same thing as saying "I'm not interested in your opinion "

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela