Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

About Voice-over

voice-over voiced voice speech

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Sedrefilos

Sedrefilos

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2060 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I know the developers have stated that the game won't be fully voiced-over because of the budget, but it will have voice in some parts, mostly when a major character initiates dialogue or something similar, like the old IE games did. Of course this is reasonable and anyone can understand it.

Now; I started playing Divinity: Original Sin, another game I've backed (I believe most of you know about this game), a game with much lower budget and I have to say I loved what they've done with the voice-over.

There is no voice in any dialogue, but every other NPC talking is voiced, and voiced well. This way the game feels so much more alive. You hear the people talking to each other at the market or the harbour, or the enemies saying things before they attack you and nice stuff like that.

I think it is a great idea Obsidian can borrow and add it on top of the partial dialogue voice.

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I think what you're referring to is called "Walla". D:OS actually has too much of it, and the NPCs repeat their lines at much to short intervals.

Apatia

Apatia

Lurker of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Now; I started playing Divinity: Original Sin, another game I've backed (I believe most of you know about this game), a game with much lower budget

Actually in the lastest(?) D:OS livestream (the one with the Eurogamer guy) Swen Vincke said that the overall budget for D:OS was about the same as Eternity and Torment.

While I do like the VO in D:OS, I still think the money should be spent elsewhere. And in D:OS it was great at first but when you are hearing the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over, it really did get on my nerves (don't know if it has been fixed yet).

Kjaamor

Kjaamor

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 682 posts

*takes sedatives in preparation for yet another "Hey! What if Obsidian got fans to do the voice acting?" series of posts*

Nonek

Nonek

Not of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3040 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

It is nice but I personally also found the general hubbub of voices used in the Smouldering Corpse was perfectly adequate, and repetition is less of a problem because of the indistinct nature of the sounds.

• Kjaamor and Silent Winter like this

Quadrone

Quadrone

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 362 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I think it is a great idea Obsidian can borrow and add it on top of the partial dialogue voice.

Oh, nice! You're paying?

• Bryy likes this

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5075 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

What I wouldn't mind seeing is the Tim Allen approach to dialogue; various vocal utterances indicating the mood of a response, such as hmm, err, uhuh, or ohohoh...

• Namutree likes this

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

*takes sedatives in preparation for yet another "Hey! What if Obsidian got fans to do the voice acting?" series of posts*

Well that's just silly. All the voices would just be wooshy air. 8)
  • Silent Winter likes this

Bryy

Bryy

Arch-Mage

• Members.
  • 2748 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

To be fair, Original Sin has a metric boatload of recycled dialogue.

Lephys

Lephys

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
At least their virtual carbon footprint is drastically reduced. :)

Dialogue pollution is the leading cause of death amongst unimportant, nameless NPCs. u_u
  • Namutree likes this

Namutree

Namutree

Compulsive Double Poster of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1711 posts

At least their virtual carbon footprint is drastically reduced. :)

Dialogue pollution is the leading cause of death amongst unimportant, nameless NPCs. u_u

Ha! I approve.

Elzarath

Elzarath

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 109 posts
I liked the background voices in BG2 populated areas and markets, i.e. Waukeens Promenade and I think Trademeet. They were random lines you could sometimes make out what they were saying.

I think they were like '(man shouting) careful with that barrel' and 'apples, apples, one copper'. Haha I also could have completely misheard these and they said something completely different.
  • Hiro Protagonist II likes this

Hiro Protagonist II

Hiro Protagonist II

Ysbryd rhydd of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2582 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer

Yeah. really gave it some atmosphere with the background voices in the BG games. I'm hoping they do the same with PoE.

Helz

Helz

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 76 posts
  • Steam:wulfcadarn

The less voiceover the better.  Reading is fundamental.

• Namutree likes this

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7773 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

is always surprising to us, as a literary snob, just how much difference good voice acting can make when storytelling is involved. chrisA, as much as we like him as a crpg writer, can indulge in the kinda tedious exposition that makes us wonder why nobody at obsidian is willing to do an intervention. we bet if he were ridiculous drunk, his coworkers would prevent him from driving himself home, but they didn't stop him when he were doing some o' kaelyn's dialogues? as a friend you gotta duty to stop a guy before he causes a car wreck. that being said, there is voice actors that is capable o' making the most tedious dialogues... sing. get good vo and chrisA can indulge himself without hurting nobody. 

that being said, significant vo puts limitations on a development. vo is not done near completion o' the project, and once vo is complete, changes to the game that would otherwise require new vo becomes largely impossible. the developmental flexibility sacrificed to make considerable vo possible is not negligible. the expenses related to vo is also a bit shocking as far as Gromnir is concerned.

HA! Good Fun!

Namutree

Namutree

Compulsive Double Poster of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1711 posts

If they did fan voice work; it would be fantastic. :)

• Lephys likes this

Lephys

Lephys

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

If they did fan voice work; it would be fantastic. :)

*Namutree gains +15 reputation with the PunForge faction.*

Edited by Lephys, 03 July 2014 - 04:37 PM.

• JFSOCC and Namutree like this

ashtonw

ashtonw

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

chrisA, as much as we like him as a crpg writer, can indulge in the kinda tedious exposition that makes us wonder why nobody at obsidian is willing to do an intervention. we bet if he were ridiculous drunk, his coworkers would prevent him from driving himself home, but they didn't stop him when he were doing some o' kaelyn's dialogues? as a friend you gotta duty to stop a guy before he causes a car wreck.

Fresher in my mind is the 30 minute conversation with disembodied brains in Old World Blues, complete with ejaculation and **** jokes. But the VO was good so that's okay. For PoE, I'm not expecting much with the budget they're working with, so I hope the characters will be as quiet as possible. I get second-hand embarrassment from listening to bad acting.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: voice-over, voiced, voice, speech

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users