You "forgot" to use the force? oh, come on....

The justification is: losing the use of Jedi abilities can and does happen in the Star Wars universe, as demonstrated repeatedly by Kyle Katarn.

Using the game mechanics, I guess the Jedi levels are just zeroed out.

Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast has already set the precedent for Jedi losing their connection with the force; as the protagonist, Kyle Katarn, begins the game having abandoned his connection with the force for fear of falling to the darkside.

-edit out antagonism-

Sorry, Jedi Knight 2 is not a role playing game therefore has nothing to do with KotOR2. Jedi Knight 2 is a action game and nothing more and leave the story aspects and game mechanics of an action game out of a CRPG.

The Dark Forces games are part of the Star Wars universe. Hence, the story aspects and what is possible and what is not have a great deal to do with KOTOR.

Sorry, Jedi Knight 2 is not a role playing game therefore has nothing to do with KotOR2.  Jedi Knight 2 is a action game and nothing more and leave the story aspects and game mechanics of an action game out of a CRPG.

Well, JK2 and KotOR2 do have one thing in common - both exist in the Star Wars universite, so if something that happened in one of them is possible, why wouldn't it be possible for the other one too? Heck, KotOR2 even uses some Force Powers from Jedi Academy, so...

Despite the fact that many people who've played KOTOR has a negative view on it, I'm still very optimistic about the Februari release and can't wait to get my paws on the game :D

There might be a better explanation then "forgot" when the game comes out. Maybe the PC has personal reasons to stop practicing force use. And after you dont you do tend to forget. I think it wont take you long to remember again anyway, so whats the big deal?

I liked the idea in KOTOR1 of not being a jedi from the start, it makes it a better experience once you finally get that lightsaber and force powers!

Hey, what can I say? I am a role player first and foremost and if those who design Star Wars games want to do funky crap like this they best make sure that it is plausible in the story line AND works with the game mechanics involved.

:sigh:. Hades_One, not everything in the Star Wars universite can be explained in terms of game mechanics! Must everything be "translated" into game mechanics for you to "tie it all together"? Is it simply not good enough to trust how the story only explains it? -_-.

Despite the fact that many people who've played KOTOR has a negative view on it, I'm still very optimistic about the Februari release and can't wait to get my paws on the game :D

If someone abandons the force they loose touch with it. They simply don't access it. It's like getting really rusty at something. Obviously the PC has had this happening for decades. Thus they have to get back in touch with themselves. Also, trama can cause an emotional block on the force. Another example of loosing touch with the force is Mara Jade. I have no idea for the explanation of that, I just know it worked and it was an effect of the emperor's death. Major events can block the force (or simply the person can't access it in their usual strength).

The PC is out of touch with force as would anyone who had not done some thing for that long! If you play a sport and then you dont play for a long time u then become rusty!

Another great idea by the people who brought you beer milkshakes!

"I don't see a problem...then again, SW isn't my life, so what do I know...." - some who makes 27.8 post per day on a SW forum!

You make it work. Adapt the rules. That's one reason I prefer the Unisystem to the D20 system. So much more adaptable and less restrictive. There aren't drawbacks in the d20 system also. I'd just make a drawback "Out of Touch" in any other system. There's a way to make it work in the D20 system. It has to be roleplaying based, not stat based though. Statistical the person can use it, they just can't bring themselves to.

When the PC is starting at 0 XP yet a veteren of the Mandoloiran wars, which the two does not make any sense to me. 0 XP is fresh out of the academy/high school, not a veteren of a 4 to 6 year intergalactic war. Yet Obsidian says he is a veteren but with 0 XP BECAUSE THEY SAY SO without giving any game mechanic justification.

At least on this one I can partly agree with Hades_One. In KOTOR1, the main chara was, at least if you choose the warrior class, supposedly just out of the academy and hadn't seen any (or much) real action yet (don't remember about the other classes, through..). Thus your main chara had a good reason for starting out at 0 XP. But why start a character at 0 XP when you can say almsot for sure that he saw some action (otherwise how could he be a veteran)?.

10-15? That's only in videogames my friend. In the jedi lore 10-15 is too much. Infact, even in some videogames (JA), 10-15 is too much. A fully trained jedi maybe. Someone with favoraable circumstances, maybe. A jedi neophyte....