"United States' claims at being a democracy seriously threatened"

JadedWolf

*sigh* santorum is one guy. (probably learned of him via the internet) why on earth would you suggest that the views o' one guy is representative o' any significant proportion o' Americans? post something vol said and suggest it represents all kanadians? junai can make a post and no doubt you think it is a meaningful representation o' the people o' norway?  this is getting repetitive.  you say that you ain't doing something.... but that is what you did immediate before saying you don't.  is mind boggling. really. am not sure if you is intentionally obtuse, or accidental.

I give up, you seem to only see what you want to see, and brush aside anything that doesn't fit into your viewpoint.

You can file me under your neat little box of "Europeans who don't know what the hell they are talking about and like the generalize about Americans."

I hope you saw the irony in that statement.

Edited by JadedWolf

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

we file you under the following: vol

much like the aforementioned, you is wacky obtuse. we mentions average guy in oklahoma's views o' happening in europe and you use a rick santorum quote to refute?  'course Then immediate follow-up that you don't think that quote from 1 guy is meaningful. okie dokie. nevertheless, Before that wackiness, you ask if, "Rick Santorum only exists on the internet,"  as if such a query is doing anything other than making you seem resistant to reason equaling religious zealot levels. 

serious. am stymied.

HA! Good Fun!

ps if it makes you feel better, vol is a kanadian

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Also any reason why you keep refering to yourself in a 3d person?

His Obsidian forum persona is based on the half-Orc Gromnir, a character from Baldur's Gate 2 who would refer to himself in third person.

this is incorrect. is there Anything you has been correct about in this thread? maybe we will review. no doubt there is some stuff you got right, but...

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

His Obsidian forum persona is based on the half-Orc Gromnir, a character from Baldur's Gate 2 who would refer to himself in third person.

this is incorrect. is there Anything you has been correct about in this thread? maybe we will review. no doubt there is some stuff you got right, but...

HA! Good Fun!

Isn't it the reverse?  A character was named after you?  I can't remember, I'm getting old and my memory isn't what it used to be.

HA! Good Fun!

Isn't it the reverse?  A character was named after you?  I can't remember, I'm getting old and my memory isn't what it used to be.

essentially, yes. Gaider made the tob character a half-orc 'cause most folks on the old bg2 boards assumed that the Gromnir persona were 'posed to be half-orc-- were kinda a joke. 

HA! Good Fun!

Speaking of Japanese internment, you have to consider it in the context of the times. I know it goes against the prevalent groupthink, but still.

http://www.historynet.com/zero-hour-on-nihau.htm

http://www.historynet.com/the-niihau-incident.htm

Fascinating story btw.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

HA! Good Fun!

essentially, yes. Gaider made the tob character a half-orc 'cause most folks on the old bg2 boards assumed that the Gromnir persona were 'posed to be half-orc-- were kinda a joke. 

HA! Good Fun!

Its not that I don't believe you Gromnir but I don't suppose you have any links that support what you are saying around where the Gromnir name comes from?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Gromnir definitely predates the character, and he was a prolific poster on the BIS forums, so it's not hard to believe that Gaider, who was also very active back then, would use him in the game.  It's also important to note that you are dealing with smaller communities back in the day.    

Heck, Calax has a cameo in FO:NV.  And we know that Hades will be featured in P:E.    

• Like 3

*chuckle*

link? why on earth would somebody commit that sorta information to their website or blog? don't know what to tell you. is not as if we got some kinda special pin from bioware to show folks we is the original Gromnir.  believe or do not. doesn't affect us either way. if serious interested, ask some old-timey posters who pre-date bg2. current reg posters who would know: amentep, leferd and... *sigh* vol. josh and some other obsidian developers would also know. if really bored, start a thread at bio or any number o' other rpg boards with some bg2 history. "some a-hole over at the obsidian boards is claiming to be the original Gromnir..." bet you get some responses 'bout history o' the character.

as for hurl observation, bg2 community were actual kinda large, even compared to more "modern" developments. am suspecting the main reason the community were so large were 'cause of the feedback from developers. bio developers were extreme reactive when compared to most developers, past and present. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

*chuckle*

link? why on earth would somebody commit that sorta information to their website or blog? don't know what to tell you. is not as if we got some kinda special pin from bioware to show folks we is the original Gromnir.  believe or do not. doesn't affect us either way. if serious interested, ask some old-timey posters who pre-date bg2. current reg posters who would know: amentep, leferd and... *sigh* vol. josh and some other obsidian developers would also know. if really bored, start a thread at bio or any number o' other rpg boards with some bg2 history. "some a-hole over at the obsidian boards is claiming to be the original Gromnir..." bet you get some responses 'bout history o' the character.

as for hurl observation, bg2 community were actual kinda large, even compared to more "modern" developments. am suspecting the main reason the community were so large were 'cause of the feedback from developers. bio developers were extreme reactive when compared to most developers, past and present. 

HA! Good Fun!

Grommie isn't fibbing.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

*chuckle*

HA! Good Fun!

Gromnir you understand that just because someone says something on the Internet it doesn't necessarily make it true. We have a responsibility to question the veracity of statements if we want more information around a particular comment. So its nothing personal, its just the Internet

But saying all that there are several members who have corroborated your story so I believe it :). Its a fascinating little history around the name Gromnir. I am particularly interested in the fact that Gaider would have been influenced or enjoyed your forum personality that he named a character after you, kudos to you :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Whoa...Gromnir dropped his syntax a bit.  Epic.

:wowey:

Whaa?? When did he do that? Only time I witnessed him break character was on the old Interplay boards circa 2003 when he called out Feargus for the downfall of Black Isle.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

Whaa?? When did he do that? Only time I witnessed him break character was on the old Interplay boards circa 2003 when he called out Feargus for the downfall of Black Isle.

I have had him respond "normally" on these forums once or twice since I have been active in the last 18 months or so.

The one time was when I said " I wasn't clear on his point " and he explained

John Milton 

*chuckle*

HA! Good Fun!

Gromnir you understand that just because someone says something on the Internet it doesn't necessarily make it true. 

am not disagreeing with this, but am not quite sure what you thought would be proof.

HA! Good Fun!

sometimes people "see" us drop 'cause we happen to make a post that don't happen to have a pronoun.

*shrug*

has been about 5 times since 1999.

HA! Good Fun!

Gromnir definitely predates the character, and he was a prolific poster on the BIS forums, so it's not hard to believe that Gaider, who was also very active back then, would use him in the game.  It's also important to note that you are dealing with smaller communities back in the day.    

Heck, Calax has a cameo in FO:NV.  And we know that Hades will be featured in P:E.    

No kidding? I didn't know that! Kudos to whoever made that call.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

*chuckle*

HA! Good Fun!

Gromnir you understand that just because someone says something on the Internet it doesn't necessarily make it true. We have a responsibility to question the veracity of statements if we want more information around a particular comment. So its nothing personal, its just the Internet

But saying all that there are several members who have corroborated your story so I believe it :). Its a fascinating little history around the name Gromnir. I am particularly interested in the fact that Gaider would have been influenced or enjoyed your forum personality that he named a character after you, kudos to you :)

There are a couple of forum members whose screen name made it into games. Gromnir was the most famous, but I can think of one in NWN and one in SoU.

:lol:  This was a big thing that caused a lot of flames I remember on either the BIS or Bioware boards, I forget which exactly. Maybe it was both. Ironically this whole incident is where my current screen name (that I use on 5 different forums no less) came from.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

*chuckle*

HA! Good Fun!

There are a couple of forum members whose screen name made it into games. Gromnir was the most famous, but I can think of one in NWN and one in SoU.

:lol:  This was a big thing that caused a lot of flames I remember on either the BIS or Bioware boards, I forget which exactly. Maybe it was both. Ironically this whole incident is where my current screen name (that I use on 5 different forums no less) came from.

Interesting, do you remember the names that made it onto NWN and SoU? Also what is the history and the incident around your name?

John Milton 

*chuckle*

HA! Good Fun!

Interesting, do you remember the names that made it onto NWN and SoU? Also what is the history and the incident around your name?

Well, this was a big deal as I remember it with some folks acting like babies their name was not chosen. On BIS I was using a different name (and I wasn't real active anyway) so when I moved to the Bioware boards I figured I'd pick a NWN NPC and tell everyone they named that NPC after me just to get a laugh. So during my first play through I was playing as a Ranger and I took the Guard Dog that was standing in front of the Shining Knight arms store in the City Core with me through the prison and the undead section, I got so attached to him I took his name for my forum name. I use this name here, Bioware, Nexusmods, NWNVault, TW Forums, OOTP forums, Bethsoft, Libertypost.org (I think it's defunct now) FreeRepublic (before I got kicked off & banned), and a few others I think.

Torias was one of the halflings in the SoU caravan. He was also a popular mod on the Bio boards. I forget who the one in NWN is. If there is one in HotU I never noticed it. There were a few in Throne of Bhaal besides Gromnir I think. Wasn't Melisan also a member?

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Well, this was a big deal as I remember it with some folks acting like babies their name was not chosen. On BIS I was using a different name (and I wasn't real active anyway) so when I moved to the Bioware boards I figured I'd pick a NWN NPC and tell everyone they named that NPC after me just to get a laugh. So during my first play through I was playing as a Ranger and I took the Guard Dog that was standing in front of the Shining Knight arms store in the City Core with me through the prison and the undead section, I got so attached to him I took his name for my forum name. I use this name here, Bioware, Nexusmods, NWNVault, TW Forums, OOTP forums, Bethsoft, Libertypost.org (I think it's defunct now) FreeRepublic (before I got kicked off & banned), and a few others I think.

Torias was one of the halflings in the SoU caravan. He was also a popular mod on the Bio boards. I forget who the one in NWN is. If there is one in HotU I never noticed it. There were a few in Throne of Bhaal besides Gromnir I think. Wasn't Melisan also a member?

Nice story :)

"I figured I'd pick a NWN NPC and tell everyone they named that NPC after me just to get a laugh"  :lol:  that made me laugh as I can just imagine how upset people would have got

I always thought your forum sobriquet was because of your love of dogs so its interesting to see the real history

Bet you can't guess where my forum name comes from?  :ermm:

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Where is Calax in NV? I never ran across him.

Thomas Sowell

Well, this was a big deal as I remember it with some folks acting like babies their name was not chosen.

For BG2 and ToB, there was Gromnir, Mencar Pebblecrusher, Del, and Lanfear. I may be forgetting a few. But there were definitely a lot of crybabies. Including Lanfear herself, who couldn't quite get a joke. ...Typical humorless German not understanding American/Kanedan making funny.

not melisan for tob, but the yakman that were in watcher's keep were a boardie. draconis were also in tob. is loads that were in bg2 that were kinda random, like del and mencar pebble crusher. lanfear were named for the board personality and not the robert jordan book character. she didn't like her cameo, not one bit. a couple bg2 characters were winners of a contest. the githyanki wildmage that shows up in waukeen's promenade, and the scimitar throwing habib from the docks district were contest winners... and you cannot imagine how bitter many o' the non-winners were when they heard the winning submissions. a guy named diesel were the guy who suggested the githyanki, and he stopped posting shortly after the contest winners were flamed into oblivion. between reactions to the inclusion o' Gromnir, lanfear rage and the nadir of bioware board behavior following the cameo contest, Gaider said he had no interest in adding boardie cameos ever again. that were a few years ago, so perhaps he has changed his mind.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2