VGX 2013 Thread

C2B

Well, it wasn't terrible. That's not true. The "concert" at the end was not my style and ultra-NSFW. Looks like the "awards" are just an excuse to get together and talk about video games, which is always cool, however. Joel McHale was pretty stale and stomped all over his co-host, interrupting and talking at the same time. I liked all the developers coming on the show, and the trailers were fun. It could be a good show if they get a more naturally funny, professional presenter. The best part of all was the particle effects in volumetric lighting for The Division trailer ... zomg. And No Man's Sky looks promising, except I don't play MMOs.

All Stop. On Screen.

Well, it wasn't terrible. That's not true. The "concert" at the end was not my style and ultra-NSFW. Looks like the "awards" are just an excuse to get together and talk about video games, which is always cool, however. Joel McHale was pretty stale and stomped all over his co-host, interrupting and talking at the same time. I liked all the developers coming on the show, and the trailers were fun. It could be a good show if they get a more naturally funny, professional presenter. The best part of all was the particle effects in volumetric lighting for The Division trailer ... zomg. And No Man's Sky looks promising, except I don't play MMOs.

Nope. It was bad. And half of those developer interviews were terrible and dragged lut with dumb questions. Not to mention the useless cameraman, the arguments, the teleprompter failings, the stupid sketches by idiotic youtube celebs(making other vma's look good) and so on.

It was a mess.

What was that Tomb Raider announcement?

I was wrong, it is not a PC port to PS4/XB1 ... they employed two other studios to rebuild textures, add in TressFX, rebuild Lara's head completely ...

The entire game world — the perilous island of Yamatai — is alive as well. Foliage bends as Lara pushes through it; trees whip in the wind; even cloth moves courtesy of new, more sophisticated physics modeling. Weather effects lash the island with unprecedented levels of venom, and rain particles are dynamically lit as they slice through piercing searchlights. The in-game cast has also enjoyed an upgrade — characters and enemies alike have been enhanced visually, while in-game destructibility has been given additional refinement to increase the sense that you are leaving a mark on this world.

one of our boldest changes was to handcraft an all new, even more realistic head and face model for her, taking advantage of the increased power of PS4. This is our first glimpse of our next-generation Lara. We also drastically improved shader and lighting effects, adding dynamic sweat, mud, and even blood for a new level of visual acuity that reacts on Lara in different situations. Objects on Lara’s person like her climbing axe or arrows now independently react to her movements and sway or jostle

This game on the PC was very graphically intensive, so it'll be interesting to see how the "HD remake" for next-gen consoles compares. 

All Stop. On Screen.

At least Gone Home wins. That's surprising. In a very positive way. They deserve it.

Papers, Please deserved to win in that category, I thought. The high praise for 'Gone Home' struck me as less to do with it being a good game and more to do with game journalists wanting to feel validated and being able to point to a game and say 'hey look, this game is tackling a mature subject, gaming has finally grown up!'.

Not that these awards should be taken seriously in the first place.

Edited by Quetzalcoatl

Anyone else thinks its sad that a comedian ask better questions than most game journalists? Even though he seemed to have hijacked the show (though I don't see what Geoff would had brought) he still asked a few serious questions and wasn't afraid to put developers on the spot. Which is something that game journalism has lacked since its inception.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Monaco wasn't even nominated. It's my game of the year, easily. Not indie game of the year, but game of the year, period.

Monaco looks pretty cool, thanks for pointing it out 

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.