Guys stupid but honest question. What do you want so much from the backers site? What is the big deal about it that for example someone who isn't a backer is not going to get?

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Backer site is almost finished and has been planed to be released before thanksgiving, but has been delayed to avoid giving tech support gray hair during the holidays. Meanwhile they found out, that it still had some serious bugs, so they delayed the launch a bit more to fix them. Now we all hope that it will be done by next week, or it will probably have to be delayed again to avoid giving tech support grey hair during the holidays. :p

No worries. They really REALLY do want to launch it as soon as they can. The delay of the big1 is embarrassingly long as it is :unsure:

• Like 1

Guys stupid but honest question. What do you want so much from the backers site? What is the big deal about it that for example someone who isn't a backer is not going to get?

Here's an example of a backer site, that rolled out very shortly after the end of Kickstarter campaign.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/

Take special not about the "funds raised" value

EDIT: Backer site is not just for the existing backers.

EDIT2: And it's not a stupid question.

Edited by Jajo
  • Like 2

Here's an example of a backer site, that rolled out very shortly after the end of Kickstarter campaign.

Thanks for the informative response, I appreciate it :)

Another question, would people who haven't pledged anything to PE be able to access it? The reason I ask is because I'm a backer and I really enjoy these forums. And to be honest the thought of a website where only backers can chat about things would seem a little lonely. I want anyone to be able to interact about PE and give there opinion, I want it to be as inclusive as possible. But it appears that the backer website won't have there own forums anyway so my concern is moot?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The backer website (teased in update #66 Double Whammy) is rumored to include a gameplay video and new information on the game, which is the main reason people are looking forward to it, I think. For example, looking at the teaser screenshots in that update you can see that the game is referred to as Pillars of Eternity. Personally, I want to upgrade my pledge, as well, and want to finally scratch that off the to-do list.

Edit: My assumption is that anyone can access the website and even become a slacker backer. I agree with you on open forums and don't see why they'd make new ones for the new website. They could just link here, right?

Edited by Boox

Gameplay video.

Chris Avellone revealed that they had a gameplay video coming with the backer site in his MIGS presenation and in Update 67 there is 37.0 (man weeks?) worth of work on a "Press Demo" in Production Milestone 3 which is either the current or just previously past milestone. I'd say there would be a bit of schedule rubber banding atm as by my calculations they should be a week into Production Milestone 4. It is possible they have chosen to continue Production Milestone 3 until the end of the year (thus making it a bit longer than 6 weeks) and that would make sense because they are after all currently working on the Mega Dungeon, with Twin Elms slated for Production Milestone 4.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

The backer website (teased in update #66 Double Whammy) is rumored to include a gameplay video and new information on the game, which is the main reason people are looking forward to it, I think. For example, looking at the teaser screenshots in that update you can see that the game is referred to as Pillars of Eternity. Personally, I want to upgrade my pledge, as well, and want to finally scratch that off the to-do list.

Edit: My assumption is that anyone can access the website and even become a slacker backer. I agree with you on open forums and don't see why they'd make new ones for the new website. They could just link here, right?

Gameplay video.

Chris Avellone revealed that they had a gameplay video coming with the backer site in his MIGS presenation and in Update 67 there is 37.0 (man weeks?) worth of work on a "Press Demo" in Production Milestone 3 which is either the current or just previously past milestone. I'd say there would be a bit of schedule rubber banding atm as by my calculations they should be a week into Production Milestone 4. It is possible they have chosen to continue Production Milestone 3 until the end of the year (thus making it a bit longer than 6 weeks) and that would make sense because they are after all currently working on the Mega Dungeon, with Twin Elms slated for Production Milestone 4.

Okay thanks, so its primarily the gameplay video people are after. Makes sense.

John Milton 

Well, a lot of people don't realize that there is a gameplay video coming, or have not seen enough evidence to believe it - many people just want the the feeling of a full proverbial a-hole (fulfillment, confirming pledges, addons, even upgrading to a higher tier).

• Like 1

Personally, I would really like a backer site for the simple reason of organisation. Some of my kickstarter projects, I was a late backer to, and the backer sites that pop up in every project is very helpful in keeping track of what I backed, how much etc.

Backer site is just one part of the big update but a backer site is also key to getting additional funding, letting people alter their already existing pledges, and communicate with the fans.  A well made backer portal gives the people who care about the project the chance to support it more and gives the devs a direct pipeline to the users who put their money where their mouth is.  Not to mention that but "theoretically" it also means official forums instead of just piggy backing on the obsidian in general forums, the forum badges and such, additional info on the game via lore/more pictures/new videos (gameplay or otherwise) etc etc.

One look at the star citizen backer portal tells you everything you need to know about why getting it done is important.  No this game isn't going to make that type of money, but it could be getting more funding than it is.

• Like 7

Backer site is just one part of the big update but a backer site is also key to getting additional funding, letting people alter their already existing pledges, and communicate with the fans.  A well made backer portal gives the people who care about the project the chance to support it more and gives the devs a direct pipeline to the users who put their money where their mouth is.  Not to mention that but "theoretically" it also means official forums instead of just piggy backing on the obsidian in general forums, the forum badges and such, additional info on the game via lore/more pictures/new videos (gameplay or otherwise) etc etc.

One look at the star citizen backer portal tells you everything you need to know about why getting it done is important.  No this game isn't going to make that type of money, but it could be getting more funding than it is.

Indeed.

The backer portal was originally promised to us around holiday time last year.

It's no small mistake on the part of Obsidian that it was not done back then I think. Largely due to the additional funding a good backer site could have garnered this last year.

Well it was just Darren Monahan working on it for quite some time and I assume that was not his only job at Obsidian as he has lots of other obligations. I would also wager that he had not touched backend web dev for a while. I assumed they use PHP ... shoulda used Perl ;)

Edited by Sensuki

33 million?!! What the ****...? How is that even possible? That's more than 15 times what their Kickstarter made... where did all of that  money come from? I've never even seen gaming press about this after the Kickstarter...

Because it's kind of like an MMO, people are essentially paying to win (buying more powerful ships to start the game with, so they don't have to waste heaps of time building themselves up ... which IMO is the whole point of playing something, but yeah I am not everyone).

The Roberts Space Industries site also spams an email like every second day, if not every day (so annoying I blocked it out as spam) promoting these upgrades and stuff. Now they're selling Alpha slots and they are visualizing the number of remaining slots to increase people's FOMO (fear of missing out).

They've definitely got some scum of the earth marketing people, that's for sure ... but it's working.

I personally feel ashamed to have backed it, but I suppose the Single Player will be fun.

Edited by Sensuki

So it's basically a pre-release cash shop, then? Interesting... If EA did that, people would be frothing at the mouth and recruiting more peasants to take them down. But then if your independently funded game is suddenly pulling numbers that make the next best project look like a joke in comparison, I guess you could say it's worth it. That kind of money is sufficient to develop and distribute a standard game, isn't? That's pretty insane.

On another note, does anyone know if we'll be able to back without using paypal when the site is up?

Well, a lot of people don't realize that there is a gameplay video coming, or have not seen enough evidence to believe it - many people just want the the feeling of a full proverbial a-hole (fulfillment, confirming pledges, addons, even upgrading to a higher tier).

How very colourfully put.

Gameplay video.

:blink:

Is Mr. Brennecke going to have to sweep for bugs?

Me, I just want to pledge more, and recall what I paid for again (I seriously have no clue anymore what additions I wanted, it's been so long) and what's available.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I'd also like to add that I believe the first gameplay video will be short, perhaps five minutes in length. They also have another 37.0 man weeks work on a Press demo scheduled for Production Milestone 6, and another one for the Beta stage.

While Chris Avellone stated in his Rezzed Presentation that they are absolutely going to do a gameplay movie in the vein of Shadowrun Returns and Wasteland 2, because of the gameplay video being released with the backer portal (and perhaps even originally exclusively available at the backer portal so that new viewers have to visit the website to view it), I think the Obsidian Project Directors are a bit more conservative and have less to prove as a company than inXile and Hairbrained Schemes did. A five minute video in the style of a trailer - announcing the name of the game with some footage of the overall pillars of the game - combat, dialogue, scripted interaction, questing, exploring, looting, companion interaction etc will be more concise and leave people wanting more.

A gameplay video in the style of Wasteland 2 might be better saved for the second video, as by then they will have most of the content completed and will be able to choose an appropriate side-mission that doesn't spoil the story, which Obsidian seem to be very protective about.

In case you're expecting a 15-20 minute video, this might save you from slight disappointment.

(I'd love to be wrong though :))

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

33 million?!! What the ****...? How is that even possible? That's more than 15 times what their Kickstarter made... where did all of that  money come from? I've never even seen gaming press about this after the Kickstarter...

Hehehe... Yep, that number is correct; I'm a backer there as well. And one reason for backers throwing that amount of money at CIG was the great tool they offered to manage ones pledges (add another ship ot it... And another... Hmmm, maybe the soundtrack CD, and that glossy map... Oh, a novella is nice as well! Ooh, that ships would be even nicer to start with!).

So yes, having a good backer site is vital for continous generation of income through backers.

Btw. that money ($34M right now) is all crowdfunded, no big investors, no publishers, it's all backer's money. :yes:

Personally, I'm looking forward to the backer's site of Project Eternity, to finally connect all my smaller donations over the past months to my initial pledge. And maybe add a little something to get a nicer reward, or a soundtrack CD, or a novella, or whaterver they offer as additional rewards for a small additional pledge... :biggrin:

• Like 2

FdSm3p1.png