Scottish independence - economics

Walsingham

I do believe that our fair isles union will be so much poorer for the exiting of our Scottish brethren, a shame to see their brave soldiers, fine minds, cautious leaders and skilled craftsmen no longer amongst us. I sincerely hope life goes well for those north of the border, but I fear it may well not.

I wonder how this will affect voting in the remainder of the UK, as traditionally any Tory gains are offset by Labour seats in Scotland?

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I think that it's quite part of the charm of the UK with the english and scots always bickering with each other. But i am no scot so what do i know.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I wonder what store the forum members set by national identity? An independent Scotland might not have many benefits as an accountant sees it. but what of a renewal of ideas and initiative, set free of Brittania's mouldering past?

The ineffable quality of Scottish people just thinking to themselves "Now anything is possible"

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I wonder what store the forum members set by national identity? An independent Scotland might not have many benefits as an accountant sees it. but what of a renewal of ideas and initiative, set free of Brittania's mouldering past?

The ineffable quality of Scottish people just thinking to themselves "Now anything is possible"

I can't imagine a Scotsman being optimistic about anything.

• Like 3

Dirty deeds done cheap.

ROFLMAO

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Why would England's status be diminished? Isnt the Scotland/England relationship a parasitic one with England shouldering the bills? What does Scotland contribute to the union? England would probably be better off.

It would be a boon for the budget, but London's status as a financial hub has to do with it being the capital and largest city of the UK, which historically has been a world power. From a global perspective, British influence has been steadily shrinking since somewhere in the early 20th century. Suddenly being relegated from being the capital of the UK to being the capital of well... The UK sans Scotland would only further serve to diminish the importance of the city.

But really, to be honest you could also argue that Scotland is too small to matter anyway.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

It was only a few centuries past that many Scots were Gaelic speaking crofters, I wonder whether the language could make a resurgence like Welsh and Cornish have, though obviously crofting is no longer a viable livelihood one would think.

To be honest i'm far more worried for English cultural identity at the moment, for so long we have been the heart of the UK, and now with our union gone we face a new future. That and we are changing personality wise, with the rise of the cult of celebrity over achievements, the rise of emotion and beliefs over logic etcetera. The birth of a new outlook and identity is often a perilous time, as history shows.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Yeah that was hilarious :lol:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Speaking of different regions declaring independence, I think Catalonian independence would be much more interesting. There we have a region whose population and language has been oppressed historically, but still the region is the richest in Spain, and one of the more modern ones in Europe. An independent Catalonia would enter the list of countries with high standard of living very high up. On the other hand, the rest of Spain would also become a more miserable place should Catalonia break loose.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

I agree that the Union Jack would look weird without the blue. But that's what the Union would be: silly. We should be FORCED to do without.

Apart from anything else, the BNP would have to reprint all it's stationery. C***s.

-Elwood Blues

If somebody has asked me 10 years ago to place bets, I would probably have put my money on Belgium splitting into seperate Walloon and Flemish states.

Now, Scotland and Catalonia looks like the regions with the strongest independence movements.

Don't underestimate the Scots... there may be more potential scotsmen than first anticipated:

http://youtu.be/qxDJMn-534Y

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• 1 month later...