Hoops 13-14

Leferd

Thunder won their 4th straight tonight and beat the Blazers for the first time this year (this was their 3rd meeting of 4).  Durant continued his insanely hot streak with his 8th straight 30+ game, dropping 46 on the blazers on a highly effiient 17 for 25 shooting, including 6 of 7 from beyond the arc.

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

You guys got me scouring Youtube. Came across two "Player at 50" interviews with MJ and Sir Charles.

The MJ one is nothing really new (for me) though I still enjoyed it. Charles is just a great interview and always has been :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de6DE0lREOA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwJJpqHZg30

• Like 1

Ouch a 15-0 run to end the game... hahaha. Love his quick release.

In the Jordan at 50 interview, when discussing "who is better Kobe or Lebron" he mentions that Durant is the type that's going to sneak in the back door and quietly be the best haha.

• Like 3

That was awesome.  He got called for a charge late in the game he didn't agree with then got T'd up for dropping some colorful language.  So after that he just went into **** The Dumb ****, I'm Taking Over And Ain't Nobody Out There That Can Do A Damn Thing About It Mode and just started dropping bombs on the Blazers.  That was some prime Kobe or Reggie Miller I'm taking over type ****.

Ouch a 15-0 run to end the game... hahaha. Love his quick release.

In the Jordan at 50 interview, when discussing "who is better Kobe or Lebron" he mentions that Durant is the type that's going to sneak in the back door and quietly be the best haha.

I still think LeBron is the best player in the league when he's playing as hard as he can, he's just coasting right now because the East is so pathetic that the Heat can get the 2 seed on cruise control.  If anybody is going to supplant King James as the NBA's top player Durant is certainly the top candidate.  Paul George is the next guy in line who I think has the all around game to eventually become top dog in the league.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

In the video he does say that Lebron is the most dominating player in the league right now.  I think he was referring more to overall legacy though (since he actually picked Kobe because he felt Kobe's desire to win gave him an edge.  Though this was before Lebron won his second title).  So picking Kobe despite saying Lebron is the most dominating player gives me an impression that he's looking at total career projections rather than "at the moment."

If you just want to see that part of the interview, it's at the 40:00 mark.

The Thunder have a heck of a streak going.  They've won 5 in a row with wins over Houston, Golden State, Portland, and San Antonio during that stretch.  Those are 4 of the other 5 best teams in a ridiculously loaded Western Conference and 4 of the other 7 best teams in the entire league.  Obviously they will cool off eventually, but I hope they can keep it going for a while longer.  A nice showdown at Miami is coming up next week.  It should be entertaining.

Edit:  Since we're at approximately the halfway point of the season, here are my current power rankings:

1) Indiana Pacers

2) Oklahoma City Thunder

3) San Antonio Spurs

4) Portland Trailblazers

5) Miami Heat

6) Golden State Warriors

7) Houston Rockets

8] Los Angeles Clippers

9) Phoenix Suns

10) Dallas Mavericks

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Mine: 1) Miami  1 million) Everyone else.

MIA doesn't give a crap about RS.  Until someone beats MIA in a best of 7 playoff series, they're trying to be 2nd best. It's why a team like Indiana is DESPERATE for home court advantage. They actually have the fantasy notion that it'll make a difference in the playoffs versus MIA. L0LZ

For the record, MIA has basically the same record they had  at this time last season. Meaningless.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Kobe to MJ: I'd kick your ass one-on-one

Shocking revelations from Phil Jackson: It turns out that Kobe Bryant is really confident. In an interview with Fox Sports Live, Jackson said that he asked Michael Jordan to talk to Kobe Bryant shortly after Jordan's second retirement in 1999. One might expect a young player to be a bit star-struck when meeting a legend like Jordan, but this is Kobe Bryant we're talking about here. Jackson said the first thing that Kobe said to MJ upon meeting him was ''I could kick your ass one-on-one.'' This is, of course, the perfect Kobe Bryant response -- we'd imagine Kobe says some version of that to most everyone he meets, whether or not they're even professional basketball players.

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Mine: 1) Miami  1 million) Everyone else.

MIA doesn't give a crap about RS.  Until someone beats MIA in a best of 7 playoff series, they're trying to be 2nd best. It's why a team like Indiana is DESPERATE for home court advantage. They actually have the fantasy notion that it'll make a difference in the playoffs versus MIA. L0LZ

For the record, MIA has basically the same record they had  at this time last season. Meaningless.

Do you even understand what "power rankings" means?  I'm in complete agreement that Miami is the championship favorite until someone knocks them out of the playoffs.  That's not what power rankings are.

Kobe to MJ: I'd kick your ass one-on-one

Shocking revelations from Phil Jackson: It turns out that Kobe Bryant is really confident. In an interview with Fox Sports Live, Jackson said that he asked Michael Jordan to talk to Kobe Bryant shortly after Jordan's second retirement in 1999. One might expect a young player to be a bit star-struck when meeting a legend like Jordan, but this is Kobe Bryant we're talking about here. Jackson said the first thing that Kobe said to MJ upon meeting him was ''I could kick your ass one-on-one.'' This is, of course, the perfect Kobe Bryant response -- we'd imagine Kobe says some version of that to most everyone he meets, whether or not they're even professional basketball players.

Not shocking at all.  I'd be shocked if he didn't respond like that.  That's how he's wired.  That's how you have to be to be an assassin like him.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

The Thunder have a heck of a streak going.  They've won 5 in a row with wins over Houston, Golden State, Portland, and San Antonio during that stretch.  Those are 4 of the other 5 best teams in a ridiculously loaded Western Conference and 4 of the other 7 best teams in the entire league.  Obviously they will cool off eventually, but I hope they can keep it going for a while longer.  A nice showdown at Miami is coming up next week.  It should be entertaining.

Edit:  Since we're at approximately the halfway point of the season, here are my current power rankings:

1) Indiana Pacers

2) Oklahoma City Thunder

3) San Antonio Spurs

4) Portland Trailblazers

5) Miami Heat

6) Golden State Warriors

7) Houston Rockets

8] Los Angeles Clippers

9) Phoenix Suns

10) Dallas Mavericks

I would flip the Clippers and Rockets as well as the Mavs and Suns, but otherwise it looks good to me.  :)

• Like 1

From the Grantland Shootaround:

The Book of Kev-elations

image.jpg

netw3rk: Over his last 11 games, Kevin Durant is averaging 38.1 points and does his postgame interviews from the right hand of God almighty, wreathed in holy flames.

Against him stood Kawhi, and he defended against the light of Durant, but the hand of Kawhi was smote and he was struck down and Kevin Durant splashed a jumper, amen.

Against him stood Ginobili — aged, wise, artful — and he stood against him and fell, cunningly, at the slight touch of Durant’s body that the refs might accuse Kevin of violence against his opponents, but the refs were silent, perhaps awed, and Kevin Durant splashed a jumper, amen.

Gregg Popovich watched Manu fall, and awaiting the blaring of the whistles but hearing nothing, was enraged, and bitter were his complaints over the violence done to Manu, whose body went limp and fell as does a rag fall when dropped by a careless hand, but the refs understood Manu’s cunning, had seen such schemes from Manu, and Kevin Durant splashed a jumper, amen.

Then Tony Parker came against him and his points even exceeded Kevin’s by one, such was the force of his will and the speed of his drives, but Kevin said unto Reggie Jackson, “You, too, will score,” and lo, Reggie had 27 points and eight assists and Tony Parker’s 37 points were swept away, and Kevin Durant splashed a jumper, amen.

Then Tim Duncan, whose legend stretches back 900 years, whose vanquished foes are named among the names of heroes, came against Kevin, and the stoutness of his defense allowed young Cory Joseph to lay hands on Kevin, and Kevin fell, but momentarily, then rose, clutching his shoulder as one does to allay great pain. Kevin went to the sideline, where his shoulder was stretched, and, finding it whole, he reentered the game, and Kevin Durant splashed a jumper, amen.

ic7ZFKI0qKcbl.gif

As the game closed, Kevin Durant released a 3, flying in a perfect arc as if drawn by the hand of an invisible architect, and even before the ball had reached the halfway point of its journey, Kevin was backing away, secure in the inevitability of fate, and the jumper splashed, amen. When asked to describe his performance over the last 11 games, Kevin Durant opened his mouth to speak, but the sound was the sound of a thousand trumpets, and Heather Cox, so close to the sound, was struck deaf.

:grin:

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Just as impressive, he had zero turnovers. Not bad cosndiering how much he has the ball. he should be MVP since points seem to impress people too much even though the true MVP is LeBron james. Also, Durant is no MVP. his team played without him and still won by nearly 20 points. L0L

Edited by Volourn

Yes Volo, a one game sample size against a 15-30 team should determine the league MVP.  You're obviously a genius.

On a serious note, while Durant is the obvious MVP leader at this point, it's not a half-season award.  There's a whole half a season left.  Things can change dramatically.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Nope. Lebron James will still be the MVP.

Based on what?  Here are the regular stats without any advanced metrics (which mostly favor Durant):

Kevin Durant:   31.0 PPG .504 FG% .413 3PT% .882 FT% 7.7 RPG 5.1 APG 0.8 BPG 1.5 SPG

LeBron James: 26.2 PPG .580 FG% .376 3PT% .747 FT% 6.9 RPG 6.9 APG 0.3 BPG 1.5 SPG

King James leads in FG% APG

Slim Reaper leads in PPG 3PT% FT% RPG BPG

Also, Slim Reaper plays on the #1 team in a very tough Western Conference, while LeBron plans on the #2 team in a straight up pathetic Eastern Conference.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

L0L

Agreed.  I stare in awe an laugh when looking at how silly dominant Slim Reaper has been this year.  I'm glad we're in agreement.  Good lookin' out, Volo.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

The fact you think stats should determine the MVP award is L0L worthy. James could easily average more points than Durant if he wanted to. Just look at the FG%. R00fles! Plus, james is the better defender and just plain the best. But, hey, come talk to me when Durant who sin't even the MVP of his own team actually wins a championship and does so at James' expense. L0LLIGAGZ@ Indiana is more likely to beat Miami than that happening. Heh.

All that said, I expect James not to win the 'official' MVP because of peonic voters.

Edited by Volourn