Phone Etiquette

GhostofAnakin

When someone calls you and leaves a message on your machine, do you always return the phone call when you see the message or does it depend on the message?

In regards to the latter, would you return the call if the caller explicitly states they're calling wondering if you want to do something RIGHT THEN?  For instance, if a friend calls to ask you if he and his kids can come over for a swim THIS AFTERNOON, but you don't see the message until much later that night or even the next day, do you still call him back as soon as you see the message?  Or do you wait until the next time you're talking to him and just mention in passing, "sorry about not getting back to you the other day, but ..."?

Assuming you have caller ID, if someone calls but does not leave a message, do you call them back to see what they want?  Or do you figure it wasn't important since they didn't leave a message and not bother?

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I say you call them back when you get a chance and give your regrets that you were not available to meet up.  

However it is much easier just to text this stuff nowadays.  Calling is only for complicated conversations.

I have an answering machine built into my phone (which I have mostly as an afterthought), I've maybe checked it twice in five years since the landline is really only there for DSL and no one important ever calls me on that number. I haven't changed the stock message so the caller has no way of knowing who they've reached.

It was awkward when I found one of the ancient messages was a wrong number from a hospital trying to tell someone that a relative of theirs was terminal. :|

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

When someone calls you and leaves a message on your machine, do you always return the phone call when you see the message or does it depend on the message?

In regards to the latter, would you return the call if the caller explicitly states they're calling wondering if you want to do something RIGHT THEN?  For instance, if a friend calls to ask you if he and his kids can come over for a swim THIS AFTERNOON, but you don't see the message until much later that night or even the next day, do you still call him back as soon as you see the message?  Or do you wait until the next time you're talking to him and just mention in passing, "sorry about not getting back to you the other day, but ..."?

Assuming you have caller ID, if someone calls but does not leave a message, do you call them back to see what they want?  Or do you figure it wasn't important since they didn't leave a message and not bother?

Interesting post, I do several things around phone etiquette

I'll be honest I have a wide range of people that tend to phone me from good lifelong friends to people that I met on some all weekend party the previous week and I react differently to them depending on the nature of the phone call and how I feel at the time

• I always phone my good friends and family  back, sometimes it may be a few hours later.
  • I generally ignore any missed  call I see if I don't know the number and they don't leave a message
  • If I know a number but I really don't want to speak to the person and they leave a message I'll phone them back the next day
  • I don't respond to unwanted SMS until I feel the need to, this can be 24 hours later.
  • The most serious calls are generally when someone tries to phone you and then sends an SMS explaining why they are trying to reach you
  • This doesn't apply to work hours where I answer all calls if I can

:)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm probably one of the few people around here that has really grown up with a cell phone for the majority of my life. I got my first one when I was 11 or 12 and now I'm 21. I can honestly say almost no one in my generation calls anyone. To the point where people will take notice if you're one of the few that do, and people will be like "Why the hell does Joe always call everyone? Why can't he just text us?" 

I think it's actually kind of an underlying problem for a lot of people who absolutely bomb phone interviews because their phone presence is so weak. 

"Believe it or not, Agiel isn't at home

Please leave a messaaage at the beep

I must be out, or I'd pick up the phone

Where could I beeee?

Believe it not, I'm not hooome."

Alternatively:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsSROvcZWhY

I'm probably one of the few people around here that has really grown up with a cell phone for the majority of my life. I got my first one when I was 11 or 12 and now I'm 21. I can honestly say almost no one in my generation calls anyone. To the point where people will take notice if you're one of the few that do, and people will be like "Why the hell does Joe always call everyone? Why can't he just text us?" 

I think it's actually kind of an underlying problem for a lot of people who absolutely bomb phone interviews because their phone presence is so weak. 

I think I do a stellar job with phone interviews because I do insist on calling everyone; in fact, I'm a bit annoyed whenever someone resorts to texting rather than calling on me at a time he or she ought to know I'm free at.

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

This will change when you have a job or at least a sales orientated job.

You can't SMS customers to make appointments or discuss prospective deals or meetings

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I can honestly say almost no one in my generation calls anyone. To the point where people will take notice if you're one of the few that do, and people will be like "Why the hell does Joe always call everyone? Why can't he just text us?"

Hmm that explains a lot actually...

Fortune favors the bald.

I'm told I'm very good on the phone. But as far as I am concerned I'm a total bastard. I always call screen, and often only reply by text.

I hate receiving or sending phonecalls. They are tantamount to a long pole coming in through the window and prodding one firmly in the ear. They interrupt whatever you (or they) are doing.

Phones should function like a good PA. The technology is there.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I've always hated talking on the phone, in fact I've ended a relationship just to avoid talking to the girl over the phone during my winter break.

But I also don't really like to text.  I'm not a huge fan of face to face conversations either.

So I guess I'm against communication in general. 

I'm awful at texting, it takes me a good few minutes just to compose a short one. But I've communicated to (in person, natch) most people with reason to contact me to not expect responses unless it's something that specifically requires an answer. I'm also limited to 100 messages every six months anyway due to my minimalist prepaid phone account ($30 per six months) - but then I probably only do one or two a month anyway.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

That's gotta be hard as a teacher? ;)

Nah, I've mastered the art of facial expressions.  All I really need is a smoldering glare, disdainful grimace, and a sarcastic smirk to handle classroom management.  It works in parent conferences as well.   :getlost:  

• Like 1

Going back to the OP. I take it you have been accused of transgressing?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

No, I had just received one of said phone calls where the person wanted to do something at that very moment he called, but I didn't see the message until much later that night.  So it just got me to wondering what other people would do in that sort of situation.  More of a curiosity thing.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

No, I had just received one of said phone calls where the person wanted to do something at that very moment he called, but I didn't see the message until much later that night.  So it just got me to wondering what other people would do in that sort of situation.  More of a curiosity thing.

Now you mention it I have a friend who does exactly this. He gets annoyed. I refuse to care. I do not have a duty to be constantly watching my phone.

-Elwood Blues

Let it be said up front that I hate phones passionately. Especially the mobile ones. It's some Trojan device created by the denizens of hell to make life miserable for mankind because they were stupid enough to embrace it.

Apart from that, I have two very distinct attitudes. On my home phone (land line) I don't have a message bank nor Caller ID (because nobody I know has ever been given that number). Only calls are spam calls and sometimes I just hang up, sometimes I lead them on a merry chase if having had a hard day (if they can waste my time, I can waste theirs).

My work phone is different and anybody with legitimate business calling me has been added with name etc. as contact. Depending on who calls, I decide whether or not getting back to them is a priority or not.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein