Lebronnnnnnnnnnn Jamessssssss !

Volourn

"When God created a basketball player, He made Chris Mullin." -Magic Johnson

'Nuff said.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Thanks for all the videos everyone. Now i have to watch all the games by the '92 dream team again :)

• Like 2

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

His (Mullin) is an interesting story too, as he actually battled with alcohol problems early in his career.  He cleaned himself up, however, and the next 5 seasons he was one of the best forwards in the league.  Unfortunately, injuries started to break him down later in his career as well.

@Meshugger: There's a great 20th anniversary video out for the Dream Team.  Look that one up if you haven't already.

Edited by alanschu

"is a very smart offensive player."

nah. His strategy is throw the ball at the absket and hope it falls in. That's why he'll often have games where he has over 30 shots even though he isn't shooting well. He doesn't care if it hurts the team as Kobe is all about Kobe. Always has been always will be.  Of course, he's one of the best players ever so there's that. But, very smart? L0LZ

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Re: Mullin

His Alciholism was well documented. Early in his career he was overweight, moody, and constantly late and or missed practices. Once Don Nelson became coach he looked into Mullin's situation. He didn't like what he saw - seeing it was more awrious than anticipated and staged an intervention with family and friends.

It was dramatic and it worked. Mullin was granted a leave of absence and went to rehab. He cleaned himself and dedicated himself to professionalism. He still has the same crew cut as he did when he got out of rehab.

His career flourished and he became the hall of gamer he is today.

Re: Kobe

Great player. And very smart. Just no Lebron.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

I have no qualms saying that Lebron is easily the best player since Jordan.

Kobe has some legacy issues as well, such as basically saying he'll only play for LA and whatnot (despite being an 18 year old at the draft).  That never really sat well with me (nor does a lot of the "I want out from my team... but only to LA or NYC!" that a lot of players go through).

And yeah, props to Mullin.  The Crew cut was pretty identifiable too haha.  I find the Bird comparisons very apt (although I think Bird had better court awareness... but few people could match Bird for that).

Edited by alanschu

Good story about Mullin and Bird. They had a shooting contest after practice one day during the '92 Dream Team run. Both guys were just on fire. No one missed. It was EPIC. Bird barely beat out Mullin. Mullin wanted a rematch. Bird refused, and still refuses to go against Mullin to this day. He does not want to lose.. Haha!

"Kobe has some legacy issues as well, such as basically saying he'll only play for LA and whatnot (despite being an 18 year old at the draft).  That never really sat well with me (nor does a lot of the "I want out from my team... but only to LA or NYC!" that a lot of players go through)."

That doesn't hurt his legacy at all. Unless youa  re a crybaby who believe players should just be highly paid servants who should have no free will. they should ahve the right to work where they want. Period.

That doesn't hurt his legacy at all. Unless youa  re a crybaby who believe players should just be highly paid servants who should have no free will. they should ahve the right to work where they want. Period.

They do have the right to work where they want.  They'll just have to choose a different profession if it's that important to them.  Period.  Jordan really wanted to be drafted by the Philadelphia 76ers.  He didn't have his agent say that playing in Chicago would be an impossibility when that didn't happen.  If Kobe doesn't like the rules of the league, he's more than welcome to play basketball in some other league.  Heck, even Edmonton has some amateur leagues.

Read the CBA; you'll find you'll finally get a better understanding for them.  That you want something to be different doesn't make it so  And yes, it does hurt his legacy.  It's why it's still something that gets brought up (like it was during Oden's draft year), and it's why Lebron will always have to live with the fact that people will question his decision to make "The Decision" such an event.  It's just one of the things that will always be brought up when discussing those players.

Edited by alanschu

Since KJ was mentioned, I was reminded of this scene.  Against one of the best shot blockers in the league, very much in his prime to boot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVcSndz52DE

That play absolutely floored me when it happened!

EDIT:  Hah!  Then I stumbled upon this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAEoMsHHfa4

Edited by alanschu

Thread pruned slightly. Being passionate is mostly OK, but lets try and keep it civil... with less accusatory tones... less name calling... less... something? I would like to save my large pair of scissors for when actually needed ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

@Meshugger: There's a great 20th anniversary video out for the Dream Team.  Look that one up if you haven't already.

Thanks, i will look into it :)

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

That was a crazy draft. And we may see two Canadians going number one in consecutive years.

I feel so old

Rice Jr. isn't the knockdown shooter Glen Sr. is and Hardaway Jr. isn't the street-tough little super quick firebug Tim Sr. Is.

Gods. And I'm not even that old...

Some pretty good drama went down today. Dwight Howard to Houston and Andre Iguodala to Golden State. Major power shake ups in the West.

Howard made the right choice.  He goes to a rising team and leaves a team that is too reliant on an aging crippled superstar. Not to mention a horrible overrated one dimensional coach who cannot adapt. yeah, he leaves more money on the table but I think he'll be alright moolah wise.

And, if people claim that he sucks or is overrated or isn't the best center. He led the league in rebounds and FG% this season despite recovering from a serious injury and he did this with the wacky circus that is LA.

Now, I wonder what nonsense that LA, their supports, and King Kobe will spew to make it sound like Howard is a coward or some stupid thing when theyw ere begging him to stay.

Nor do we need to hear how he'll never win a championship when that is the same stupidity that was spewed with Lebron as well. L0L

You know the whole 'Cleveland will win a championship before the 'self proclaimed King well' kind of nonsense. R00fles!

LONG LIVE DWIGHT HOWARD! DOOM TO ANTI DWIGHT HOWARDS WHO ARE CRYBABIES, WUSSIES, LOSERS, AND JEALOUS GREENSKINS!

I can't say I'm surprised about Howard leaving but I wasn't expecting him to end up on the Rockets. I really wished they could have made Kobe, Howard, Gasol, and Nash work but at least it was an interesting trainwreck to watch.

I'm a little disappointed to see Iguodala go though as I thought he might have stuck around

Free games updated 3/4/21