La neuvième art (comics you've been reading)

Agiel

I'm thinking of picking up Manhattan Projects, does anyone here follow that.

I got the first trade - its pretty nutty stuff full of all kinds of big crazy sci-fi ideas.

plus it has a cannibal Joseph Oppenheimer, evil alternate universe Einsteins, a robotic von Braun, an AI recreation of FDR all wrapped up with alien invaders

Definitely looking forward to the second trade.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Is he Jeph Loeb bad?

Got caught up on what was going on in Ultimate Marvel over the weekend. Some things brought back bad memories of Ultimatum. Ugh, so bad. Yes, lets kill a teleporter with a tidal wave. Magneto can use Mjolnir. Magneto can use magnetism to kill every living cell in Wolverine's body. Blob is now a Cannibal and suddenly ages 15 years. Pyro is now a sadistic rape-loving member of the brotherhood when the issue before he was a loveable member of the X-Men. He can't even keep continuity from one issue to the next.

Jeph Loeb is to Marvel what Stephanie Meyer is to Vampires.

Slott is worse than Jeph Loeb.

He writes the entire cast of his book out-of-character, has to rely on plot induced stupidity in order to keep his SpOck thing going, and is incredibly predictable.

Dan Slott is to comic books what David Gaider is to video games.

Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Well the one thing Loeb has over Slott based on that is unpredictability. You never know what he's going to screw up next. One of the best things he did was have Captain America alive at the end of one issue, and then dead at the beginning of the next. And not only was he dead, but his soul went to Valhalla. He then fought alongside Thor, who was able to help send him back to his body, and it didn't shake his faith at all. Dude died and went to Valhalla, and is still a christian.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I've only ever read Slott's comedy stuff (She-Hulk, Great Lakes Avengers) which was always funny. For whatever reason though, as much as I can tell that he likes Spider-Man in interviews and stuff, nothing about what he's done on the title interests me.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Well the one thing Loeb has over Slott based on that is unpredictability. You never know what he's going to screw up next. One of the best things he did was have Captain America alive at the end of one issue, and then dead at the beginning of the next. And not only was he dead, but his soul went to Valhalla. He then fought alongside Thor, who was able to help send him back to his body, and it didn't shake his faith at all. Dude died and went to Valhalla, and is still a christian.

When Loeb manages to write a story about the Red Skull taking over Cap's body and having the Red Skull be a better Captain America than Steve Rogers(bonus pints of the reason he is better is because he is a Nazi), then he will sink to Slott's level.

Until then, Loeb isn't quite that bad.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Its the little things Loeb gets wrong. Like how Venom was killed in the Ultimate Spider-Man comics, so of course he has to use him in Ultimates. But do people react with shock that he's alive? Nope. Run of the mill encounter. Doom goes through a portal to the Zombie universe, but is suddenly on the throne of Latveria with no explaination.

Oh and he killed Abomination with a gun. Gee, wish someone had tried shooting him earlier. Could have saved some trouble.

But yeah, Slott sounds pretty bad.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Its the little things Loeb gets wrong. Like how Venom was killed in the Ultimate Spider-Man comics, so of course he has to use him in Ultimates. But do people react with shock that he's alive? Nope. Run of the mill encounter. Doom goes through a portal to the Zombie universe, but is suddenly on the throne of Latveria with no explaination.

Oh and he killed Abomination with a gun. Gee, wish someone had tried shooting him earlier. Could have saved some trouble.

But yeah, Slott sounds pretty bad.

I agree that Loeb is terrible, but I have to insist that Slott is worse.

He brought back a character simply to write them out of character and kill them off within 5 pages.

Not to mention the way he writes everybody but SpOck in SSM, it is a wonder humanity manages to successfully feed themselves.

And the icing on the cake is having Do**** be morally and mentally superior to Peter Parker because he is an egomaniac super villain who doesn't care about doing the right thing.

YOUNG AVENGERS is cracking my up. Such a neat title, crazy artwork good quips. I'm curious to see what the second storyline is about.

Noh Varr's "Come with me if you want to be Awesome" after flipping out and shooting a bunch of pod-people was pure awesome.

AVENGERS #10 was an interesting one; what happens in the story is certain to come back down the line if Hickman's FF is anything to go by.

Also go Manhatten Projects second trade - can't wait to dive in this weekend.

Edited by Amentep

YOUNG AVENGERS is cracking my up. Such a neat title, crazy artwork good quips. I'm curious to see what the second storyline is about.

Noh Varr's "Come with me if you want to be Awesome" after flipping out and shooting a bunch of pod-people was pure awesome.

AVENGERS #10 was an interesting one; what happens in the story is certain to come back down the line if Hickman's FF is anything to go by.

Also go Manhatten Projects second trade - can't wait to dive in this weekend.

I keep hearing very good things about Young Avengers, would you recommend it?

Is anyone else currently following New Avengers thinking of dropping it?

I would cautiously recommend YA. Its not quite through the first story-arc, and I think the second story-arc is more indicative of the long term prospects of the first. That said, I like the characters, we get a decent story that feels important while also serving as an origin for the new team. Some good dialogue and some interesting artwork that takes some unconventional storytelling choices really has sold the title to me so far.

I'm currently reading NA and enjoying it.

So I got all excited when I received an email from Marvel offering unlimited annual access for only $60.00. Then I saw this: "Read more classic and newer issues every week — added as soon as 6 months after they hit stores!" Meh, doesn't include new releases for several months. :(

Well you can run through the older issues if you want.

If they have all of Spider-Man 2099 then it is worth the $60.

Re-read what is quite easily my favourite comic book of all time, Partie de Chasse by Bilal and Christin. Also available in an English translation as the Hunting Party.

partie-de-chasse-cv.jpg

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

The new Deadpool series has been pretty damn good.

Re-read what is quite easily my favourite comic book of all time, Partie de Chasse by Bilal and Christin. Also available in an English translation as the Hunting Party.

partie-de-chasse-cv.jpg

You ever read Button Man?

button%2B1224.JPG

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Hunting Party is a bit light on plot towards the end and more exposition than anything (Cold War, Eastern Bloc history), but that Button Man looks like something to take a gander at.

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

• 3 weeks later...

Just something that has been bugging me lately. I may be a little out of date, but as far as I know, there are now 5 green lanterns from sector 2814. All of them are from earth. All of them are from the USA. And thats not even counting Alan Scott.

What the hell. They even go out of their way to make a Muslim GL, and they make him American. Not Middle Eastern, not Indonesian, no, an American.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Hunting Party is a bit light on plot towards the end and more exposition than anything (Cold War, Eastern Bloc history), but that Button Man looks like something to take a gander at.

I didn't like it so much until I slowed down and started paying attention to what was happening in each panel, art wise.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Just something that has been bugging me lately. I may be a little out of date, but as far as I know, there are now 5 green lanterns from sector 2814. All of them are from earth. All of them are from the USA. And thats not even counting Alan Scott.

What the hell. They even go out of their way to make a Muslim GL, and they make him American. Not Middle Eastern, not Indonesian, no, an American.

I would be bothered, but I really don't like the way Green Lanterns have been handled in The New 52.

I do agree that it is lazy writing, but I don't expect much more out of Johns.

• 4 weeks later...

I like how Jamie "Multiple Man" Madrox appears to be on their twice.

Also - even assuming that the heroes listed are "representative" and not "comprehensive", there's no place to put Infectious Lass (ability to infect a person with any disease).  Thought it'd be under body powers, but not there.

Still, fun to look through. :)

I like that they managed to fit Sportsmaster in there.

• 6 months later...

Catching up on my Ultimate Comics comics. Caught up to the beginning of Cataclysm in X-Men and Ultimates. X-men was pretty good but not revealing who fake Psylocke was kinda bugged me. Revealing it was her mind control that made half the initial group in Utopia side with a 14 year old girl as leader of all mutants over Kitty, who had stepped up and liberated mutants from the Nimrods and secured a sovereign homeland for them was nice though.

Ultimates was a big bag of terrible. We can toss Joshua Hale Fialkov on the pile of crappy writers with Loeb and Slott. I mean seriously, the last time we see Ben Grimm its revealed his rock form was a cocoon. His new form he emits purple energy and is able to turn on and off similar to Johnny, Reed, and Sue, and has a few extra powers, such as being immune to Sue's force fields. Now Fialkov takes over and for some reason he is stuck in purple energy mode, but can switch between it and rock mode at will. WTF? Oh, and his rock form is easily dispatched by Quicksilver. Dan Ketch spits fire, Hercules speaks olde english, Hulk has the infinity guantlet, and Tony's brain tumor was an infinity gem. My god it was a train wreck.

Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg