Might & Magic X Teased by Ubisoft, To Be Revealed at PAX East

Where are you getting that information? The early stuff showed outdoor areas as well as dungeons...the original games had tons of dungeon crawling (or cavern crawling) as well. But I'd agree that if it's largely akin to LoG, that'd be ... meh.

And I suppose I wouldn't be surprised if the outdoor areas they were showing were largely minor transitional jogs from one dungeon to another, or something.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

M&M 5/ World of Xeen was their stated target. They never promised VI/VII gameplay which is probably sensible since I'd have difficulty explaining a single good thing from VI/VII even though I actually liked them rather a lot.

No doubt Grimrock having good sales played into the game being made at all but that was more in the 'blobber' style sense, not in making it into a strict dungeon crawler.

I'm actually glad they're trying to emulate the older turn-based M&M games, even though, I too really liked VI & VII.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I read it all on their official forums. There are many threads on these issues. Here is the most recent one:

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/785000-Save-Might-and-Magic-X-while-you-still-can!?s=9f9aa6ae9f911e0c947d8a173f98a9e5

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Yeah, but that's just people complaining it won't be exactly like MM VI, which they've stated from the get go it won't be like. It will be like another prior game in the series though. That sort of complaining ain't constructive and is wholly subjective ("I don't want a chocolate milkshake, I want a vanilla milkshake. 2/3 of all milkshakes sold are vanilla, so I'm right!"). It's not going to change at this point, either build a bridge and get over it, or don't buy.

I do have some sympathy as I'm moderately peeved about Thiaf with emo Garrett, his stapled to the ground legs and new found ability to struggle when fighting only three guards simultaneously, which is equally subjective, but that ain't going to be like anything prior in the series.

I never got around to playing anything earlier than MM6, I think. I might've looked at 5 for a brief moment, I don't recall (I have some pack that had all of the games). So I'm not very familiar with the way the series was at that time.

I don't think the new game has to be an exact replica of 6-9 or something ... that was, honestly, part of the problem of 8, imo (that by then it was too much "just more of the same"). But it would be nice if it was something more than dungeon crawl/action. I'm ambivient about the sci-fi elements myself. It'd be fine if they were there, but if not, doesn't matter much to me. And I don't think I'd mind if it was more tile-based than freer movement...depends.

Altho it might be moot for me anyway, since I'm still not into registering for Uplay. :p

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm not into Uplay, but you can register for it without giving over a bunch of personal information.  My Uplay account really is no different than a forum registration, it has a username, email, and a password associated with it.  It doesn't have any payment stuff or even real information on it.  

There were going to be people crying and moaning no matter what.  If they modeled it after VI/VII then there would be people crying that they "ruined" the game by not modeling it after the earlier games.  I loved Clouds of Xeen and Darkside of Xeen so I'm happy they set that as their target.  If they has set Mandate of Heaven or For Blood and Honor as their target I would have been happy with that too.  I'm just happy they're making an old school game.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Sorry, but my buttocks are still sore from the DRM bull Ubisoft put me through last year. I'm not budging.

If I feel like burning cash I'm posting my used pants to their headquarters.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm not into Uplay, but you can register for it without giving over a bunch of personal information.  My Uplay account really is no different than a forum registration, it has a username, email, and a password associated with it.  It doesn't have any payment stuff or even real information on it.  

I have no judgements about Uplay, since I really know little about it. It's just a rebellious nature sort of thing :lol: ... I'm tired of having to register and register and register for every little thing now, and having to keep track of it all. It's getting so if I have to "register" for something new (forum/website, services, etc), it's almost an automatic "nah, not bothering." I think it won't be long before my only presence on the internet will be Netflix, Steam, GoG and .... here. Things I already have. ;)

• Like 3

I have no judgements about Uplay, since I really know little about it. It's just a rebellious nature sort of thing :lol: ... I'm tired of having to register and register and register for every little thing now, and having to keep track of it all. It's getting so if I have to "register" for something new (forum/website, services, etc), it's almost an automatic "nah, not bothering." I think it won't be long before my only presence on the internet will be Netflix, Steam, GoG and .... here. Things I already have. ;)

Yeah I have had no real  issues with Steam, Uplay or Origin as a form of DRM

Very rarely the services are down and I log in later and its fine. It always surprised me that  people overseas have such issues?

As for privacy concerns. I would think it would be clear now that you don't really have privacy on the Internet, programs like Prism have just highlighted this again. So who cares if some company knows your date of birth?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

It's not so much about privacy from the companies. Basically, if I start to feel like I need a 3rd party password manager program just to manage personal entertainment sites, or just the general feeling of being tired of filling out bloody forms, I stop signing up to new things. This is also true of non-internet things. I don't fill out physical product warranty, rebate, survey, or registration cards, either. Can't be bothered, sorry. ;)

• Like 1

What's that on the horizon?  Why, it's a trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT_S9J0fYYU

Cloth map thumb03.gif

:biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Well, that trailer sure looked sweet. It has nostalgia written all over it1 :)

Perhaps I will try the game out, after all. Weirdly, though, I can't seem to find it on the internet.

Uplay doesn't have the deluxe edition, and on SteamDB I found that this was Aug 15: "Might & Magic X - Legacy Digital Deluxe Content Steam Store and Retail Key". What gives?

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I haven't been able to find it either.  I have a feeling RPS put that video out before they were ready and the game hasn't been put up for sale/pre-order yet.  Or maybe Ubi are just slacking.  Either way, maybe it will be available Monday?

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I really hope the music is good, and that the scope is as great as it seems. I'd like to have plenty of choices and interesting and varied loot.

And seemingly, the deluxe edition will be available at Steam, since that is most likely a must for me in this case.

The game will be available to play Monday via early access.  Here is a blog about it.  It looks like the differences between the deluxe digital (Steam) and deluxe "box" (UPlay) edition are all superfluous (soundtrack, "cloth" map, lithographs).

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I'm still not quite convinced  (whether there will be an actual sense of free exploration or just "run from point A to point B with nice side-scenery") and will let you two be the guinea pigs. :biggrin:

I'm still not quite convinced  (whether there will be an actual sense of free exploration or just "run from point A to point B with nice side-scenery") and will let you two be the guinea pigs. :biggrin:

Can I be a lab rat instead?  I like all rodents, but I like rats best.

Cutest-Rats.jpg

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Here's some new gameplay footage:

I've just watched it, and one thing that stuck out is that they have kept a number of sounds from earlier M&M-games, perhaps not down to the sample, but it is a nice nostalgic touch. Also, day-n-night cycles seem to be in, and so far I like the Elven ranger the best. The atmosphere seems great, although obviously almost generic, which I don't mind as long as it's fun to play. The glowing mushrooms in subterranean settings reminds me of a lot of CRPGs, mmm... :)

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

Guest Slinky

Hah, don't know are those sound effects and music from Dark Messiah of Might and Magic placeholders or not, but they sure made me wanting Dark Messiah 2. Too bad that's not going to happen, at least from Arkane  :(