Play Ball! the 2013 Baseball Thread

Guard Dog

I watched that whole game... I nearly died three times! Can't wait for tonight.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I watched that whole game... I nearly died three times! Can't wait for tonight.

We played like crap.  Profar screws up a sure inning ending double play then BOOM!  next guy up goes yard and it's tie game.  Then Nathan comes in, bottom of the ninth and gets the first two and simply gags the save. Should have had that one.   Tonight it's Darvish versus Moore.  Tough matchup.  :) 

Thankfully Cleveland lost but it's getting really tight.  We need this game tonight because KC is up next, and they are scrappy.

They Rays win and lose on pitching. They can't score enough runs to make up for a lousy outing. And oh man was Moore lousy tonight. 6-2 in the 5th right now. Not looking good for us now but there are still 4 more innings to go.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Sawx beat the Os and avoided getting swept at home.  Boston has owned every other team in the AL East this year, except the Os.  They've been a thorn in the Sawx's side all year.  Lackey took a big step toward earning himself a spot in the postseason rotation with an thoroughly impressive 2 hit, 1 run complete game.  Also, the Sawx clinched a postseason berth, but that was never in doubt.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Darvish is so wild. I don't understand why he insists on believing he's a breaking ball pitcher when he should be working off his fastball. If only he could control the rate at which he walks people and his pitch count, I'd have no problem putting him in a class I reserve only to Felix, Harvey, and Kershaw.

Rangers grab a split of the series with an 8-2 victory.  Darvish wasn't on peak form (or anywhere close to it) but the bats woke up.

Rangers Tampa tied for wild card with Cleveland a 1/2 game back. 

Rangers start 3 game series with KC tomorrow; Tampa starts 4 games versus Balt

John Farrell has some decisions to make regarding the postseason rotation.  If he goes with a 4 man rotation, then it's cut and dry.  Lester, Buchholz, Lackey, and Peavey, in some order.  If he goes with a 3 man rotation, then you have Lester for sure, and 2 of the other 3.  Buchholz was arguably the best pitcher in the majors before he went down with injury, but he's only had 2 starts since coming back so it's hard to know exactly what you got with him.  He looked impressive in his first start back and gave up no runs in a win.  He struggled with his control early on in his second start back, but only gave up 1 run and got stronger as the night wore on, and also got a W.  He's likely got 2 starts left before the season is over so those will go a long way toward him securing a spot in the postseason rotation.  Peavey has been solid since joining the Sawx, he's experienced, and you know he'll keep you in the game and get you to the late innings.  He looked straight up dominant in his last outing for the first 4 innings, before giving up 3 runs and ultimately getting a no decision.  Lackey pitched a 2 hit, 1 run, complete game gem his last time up, carrying a no-hitter into the 7th.  He's been good all year long.  I guess the "we've got a rotation full of quality starters we need to choose from to shorten the rotation" decision is a much preferable to "we've got a couple shaky starters, which one do we put in the last postseason rotation spot?"

;)

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Nice to have problem like that right Key?

Thomas Sowell

Oakland Athletics clinch. Of course, this is the biggest budget Billy Beane had to work with in his career.

Baseball payrolls http://deadspin.com/2013-payrolls-and-salaries-for-every-mlb-team-462765594

1. New York Yankees $228,995,945

2. Los Angeles Dodgers $216,302,909

3. Philadelphia $159,578,214

4. Boston $158,967,286

5. Detroit $149,046,844

6. San Francisco $142,180,333

7. Los Angeles Angels $142,165,250

8. Texas $127,197,575

26. Oakland $68,577,000

27. Pittsburgh $66,289,524

28. Tampa Bay $57,030,272

29. Miami $39,621,900

30. Houston $24,328,538

Glad to see Oak, Pit, and TB in contention.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

At first I was surprised the Dodgers weren't #1, the way they've been spending money.  Then I remembered the albatross that is the A-Rod contract.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Indeed, the Rays are the equivalent to the Cardinals - good coaching staffs, excellent farm systems and player development. The difference being the cardinals have money to spend, Tampa doesn't.

Same case could be made with Oakland too, but they don't really develop players as swiftly as the Cards and Rays do.

Edited by Inyourprime

A firm and thorough knowledge of each professional player's true worth, an explicit understanding of market inefficiencies, and the application of turning such insight into winning baseball.

tl;dr - score more runs than the other team before you run out of your 27 outs.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

Rays have been red hot the past 11 games. And they've just blown a close game open against the Yanks. Now if the White Sox could just get it together and hand Cleveland a loss.

Thomas Sowell

Rays have been red hot the past 11 games. And they've just blown a close game open against the Yanks. Now if the White Sox could just get it together and hand Cleveland a loss.

No such luck.   :(  Cleveland won 7-2.    Rangers are beating up the Blind Sisters of the Poor the Astros 7-3 thru 7.  

Edited by kgambit

Sawx holding a 10-4 lead in the 5th.  With Oakland having already lost, the Sawx could more or less wrap up the #1 seed if they hold on to the lead and win.  They would be 2 ahead with 3 left to play.  I think they hold the tie-breaker, though I'm not 100% sure on that, so that would essentially bring their magic # to 1.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Halos bullpen blows one and the Rangers escape with a 6-5 victory.  Still one game back with 3 to play.  

In the meantime, here's my take on the  awards:

American League:

GM of the year:  1) Ben Cherrington, Boston;  2) Chris Antonetti, Cleveland

Manager of the Year:  1) John Farrell Boston Red Sox; 2)  Ron Washington, Texas 3) Terry Franconca, Cleveland

Cy Young:  John Scherzer Detroit,  and nobody else is even close

MVP           Miguel Cabrera, Detroit and nobody else is even close

Fireman of the Year, Joe Nathan, Texas

Rookie of the Year: 

1)  Martin Perez, Texas     age 22   2013 Stats: 19 GS (1 CG), 10-5, 3.55 ERA, 119.0 IP, 125 H, 52 R (47 ER), 14 HR, 35 BB, 79 K

2)  Jose Iglesias, Detroit    age 23   2013 Stats: 106 G, .310/.357/.395, 106 H, 16 2B, 2 3B, 3 HR, 29 RBI, 5 SB, 15 BB, 59 K

3)  Will Myers, Tampa Bay age 22   2013 Stats: 83 G, .292/.352/.476, 93 H, 20 2B, 13 HR, 51 RBI, 5 SB, 31 BB, 86 K

National League

GM of the year:  Jed Hoyer, Chicago (He totally fleeced the Rangers in the Garza trade and got huge talent back by trading veterans)

Manager of the Year:  1) Clint Hurdle, Pittsburgh, 2) Fredi Gonzalez, Atlanta 3) Don Mattingly, LA Dodgers

Cy Young: Clayton Kershaw, LA Dodgers

MVP  1) Andrew McCutcheon, Pittsburgh; 2) Paul Goldschmitt, Arizona and 3) Yadier Molina, St Louis

Fireman of the year, Jason Kimbrel, Atlanta

Rookie of the Year:

1)  Jose Fernandez, Marlins age 21  2013 Stats: 28 GS, 12-6, 2.19 ERA, 172.2 IP, 111 H, 47 R (42 ER), 10 HR, 58 BB, 187 K

2)  Julio Teheran, Atlanta age 22   2013 Stats: 29 GS, 13-8, 3.09 ERA, 180.2 IP, 167 H, 65 (62 ER), 21 HR, 45 BB, 167 K

3)  Yasiel Puig  Los Angeles age 22   2013 Stats: 100 G, .325/.395/.546, 121 H, 21 2B, 2 3B, 19 HR, 42 RBI, 11 SB, 34 BB, 92 K

4) Shelby Miller St Louis  2013 Stats: 31 GS (1 CG), 173.1 IP, 3.06 ERA, 152 H, 65 R (59 ER), 20 HR, 57 BB, 169 K

5)  Hyun-Jin Ryu LA Dodgers age 26   2013 Stats: 29 GS (2 CG), 14-7, 188.0 IP, 174 H, 65 R (62 ER), 15 HR, 48 BB, 150 K 

And some dubious "awards"

AL individual underperformer of the year:  Josh Hamilton LA Angels  5 yrs / 125 mil for  21 hrs, 76 rbis and a .738 ops?  LOL 

AL Team underperformer of the year:  LA Angels

NL individual underperformer of the year:  BJ Upton, Atlanta  This guy needed a ladder to reach the Mendoza Line (.184 BA)  and a 5yr 75$ mil contract ....

NL Team underperformer of the year:  Washington Nationals

I almost forgot: 

Lifetime Achievement Award - Worst Owner - Jeffrey Loria - Miami Marlins

Indians win; Toronto beats Tampa, Rangers beat Halos.  Rangers one game back with two to play; Tampa and Cleveland tied.   

Rangers need to sweep and keep their fingers crossed.

Sawx won and now can finish no lower than tied for the best record in the AL (all the majors for that matter).  They already have the 6th most wins in the Sawx' history, not too shabby for a team many people though would finish near the bottom of the division.  I still don't fully understand how the tiebreakers work.  I know head to head is the first and it's 3-3 between the Sawx and As.  After that it gets complicated.

I'm loving this race for the wild card.  It's going to come down to the very last day, and while these 3 teams are exhausting themselves, scratching and clawing for those 2 spots, the Sawx can rest up and set their rotation for optimal ass kicking.  I'm hoping for the 3-way tie so these 3 team can even further deplete their rotation and bullpen and the survivor will come in thoroughly drained to their series with the Sawx.

:yes:

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Sawx won and now can finish no lower than tied for the best record in the AL (all the majors for that matter).  They already have the 6th most wins in the Sawx' history, not too shabby for a team many people though would finish near the bottom of the division.  I still don't fully understand how the tiebreakers work.  I know head to head is the first and it's 3-3 between the Sawx and As.  After that it gets complicated.

I'm loving this race for the wild card.  It's going to come down to the very last day, and while these 3 teams are exhausting themselves, scratching and clawing for those 2 spots, the Sawx can rest up and set their rotation for optimal ass kicking.  I'm hoping for the 3-way tie so these 3 team can even further deplete their rotation and bullpen and the survivor will come in thoroughly drained to their series with the Sawx.

:yes:

Head to head play is first tiebreaker - that's tied 3-3

The second tiebreaker is intradivision play, so that’s  AL East record for Boston and AL West record for Oakland.  Boston has a one game edge.

The third tiebreaker is overall intraleague record  Boston again has a one game edge

The fourth  tiebreaker: record in the last half of intraleague play Oakland has a one game edge here last time I checked

If Boston loses their last two games to Baltimore and Oakland sweeps Sea, the A's get home field.  Any other result and the Red Sox have it. 

A three way tie would be a shocker.   If it's just a two way involving the Rangers, Martin Perez gets the start.  Darvish and Holland won't have the rest, and frankly I would rather have Perez in the playoff rotation than Garza and possibly Ogando.  :)

Edited by kgambit

Texas wins 7-4,  Halos implode with 6 errors

Tampa Bay losing 7-1 thru 5

Cleveland/Minnesota in rain delay. 

Texas/Tampa now tied for 2nd wild card.

That 3-way tie still looking that shocking?

Oh man, I hope it happens.  Not only would that be thrilling, it's the best case scenario for the Sawx.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Halos bullpen blows one and the Rangers escape with a 6-5 victory.  Still one game back with 3 to play.  

In the meantime, here's my take on the  awards:

American League:

GM of the year:  1) Ben Cherrington, Boston;  2) Chris Antonetti, Cleveland

Manager of the Year:  1) John Farrell Boston Red Sox; 2)  Ron Washington, Texas 3) Terry Franconca, Cleveland

Cy Young:  John Scherzer Detroit,  and nobody else is even close

MVP           Miguel Cabrera, Detroit and nobody else is even close

Fireman of the Year, Joe Nathan, Texas

Rookie of the Year: 

1)  Martin Perez, Texas     age 22   2013 Stats: 19 GS (1 CG), 10-5, 3.55 ERA, 119.0 IP, 125 H, 52 R (47 ER), 14 HR, 35 BB, 79 K

2)  Jose Iglesias, Detroit    age 23   2013 Stats: 106 G, .310/.357/.395, 106 H, 16 2B, 2 3B, 3 HR, 29 RBI, 5 SB, 15 BB, 59 K

3)  Will Myers, Tampa Bay age 22   2013 Stats: 83 G, .292/.352/.476, 93 H, 20 2B, 13 HR, 51 RBI, 5 SB, 31 BB, 86 K

National League

GM of the year:  Jed Hoyer, Chicago (He totally fleeced the Rangers in the Garza trade and got huge talent back by trading veterans)

Manager of the Year:  1) Clint Hurdle, Pittsburgh, 2) Fredi Gonzalez, Atlanta 3) Don Mattingly, LA Dodgers

Cy Young: Clayton Kershaw, LA Dodgers

MVP  1) Andrew McCutcheon, Pittsburgh; 2) Paul Goldschmitt, Arizona and 3) Yadier Molina, St Louis

Fireman of the year, Jason Kimbrel, Atlanta

Rookie of the Year:

1)  Jose Fernandez, Marlins age 21  2013 Stats: 28 GS, 12-6, 2.19 ERA, 172.2 IP, 111 H, 47 R (42 ER), 10 HR, 58 BB, 187 K

2)  Julio Teheran, Atlanta age 22   2013 Stats: 29 GS, 13-8, 3.09 ERA, 180.2 IP, 167 H, 65 (62 ER), 21 HR, 45 BB, 167 K

3)  Yasiel Puig  Los Angeles age 22   2013 Stats: 100 G, .325/.395/.546, 121 H, 21 2B, 2 3B, 19 HR, 42 RBI, 11 SB, 34 BB, 92 K

4) Shelby Miller St Louis  2013 Stats: 31 GS (1 CG), 173.1 IP, 3.06 ERA, 152 H, 65 R (59 ER), 20 HR, 57 BB, 169 K

5)  Hyun-Jin Ryu LA Dodgers age 26   2013 Stats: 29 GS (2 CG), 14-7, 188.0 IP, 174 H, 65 R (62 ER), 15 HR, 48 BB, 150 K 

And some dubious "awards"

AL individual underperformer of the year:  Josh Hamilton LA Angels  5 yrs / 125 mil for  21 hrs, 76 rbis and a .738 ops?  LOL 

AL Team underperformer of the year:  LA Angels

NL individual underperformer of the year:  BJ Upton, Atlanta  This guy needed a ladder to reach the Mendoza Line (.184 BA)  and a 5yr 75$ mil contract ....

NL Team underperformer of the year:  Washington Nationals

Ummm...no.

A.L. WAR Bat / Pitch

Tm WAR M.Trout LAA 9.1 J.Donaldson OAK 7.9 R.Cano NYY 7.6 M.Cabrera DET 7.1 C.Sale CHW 7.0

N.L. WAR Bat / Pitch

Tm WAR C.Kershaw LAD 8.4 A.McCutchen PIT 8.0 C.Gomez MIL 8.0 C.Lee PHI 7.5 P.Goldschmidt ARI 7.1

AL MVP - Michael Trout and it's not even close.

NL MVP - Clayton Kershaw in a clear runaway.

PS

Who is John Scherzer?