Inspiration for Godlike-races

How do you view the Godlike races? Should it be simply a Human/Elf with another skin-color or a vast difference in appearance? Could one Godlike race be more akin to a monster? Yeti? Fishman? Bumblebee? Wolf? Mummy? (Aumaua?) Cats?

darkstalkers1.jpg

Thoughts?

Edited by Osvir

Part-cthulhumanoid/part-Hindu god with blue skin and six arms. Duh!

• Like 1

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself! Apart from pain... and maybe humiliation. And obviously death and failure. But apart from fear, pain, humiliation, failure, the unknown and death, we have nothing to fear but fear itself!"

What do you mean with ancient Greek heroes? Supply linkage because I don't really understand (Most of the Greek heroes were ordinary muscular humans). I personally wouldn't want to see Blue Template A that turns all your characters Blue, or Green Template which turns you into a Green character. Something that relates to Godhood somehow... a Human with wings? Sure. Aerie is a Winged Elf is she not? Doesn't show.

What else could there be? Darth Maul? Meh. I'd personally want something more Hades-y.

n%2527aix.jpg

And a Yeti race would be so awesome... anyone remember this guy?

6-umaro-g.jpg

Edited by Osvir

Didn't they say already that godlike might be like DnD's Aasimar or Tiefling races. Pretty much look like other races with minor differences like tails, glowing eyes, horns etc. I'd say that is what we will get because anything too big, like wings or extra arms, would be too much with regard to armors, combat mechanics etc

Aerie is a winged elf whose wings were cut off, that's how they worked that into the game without worrying about graphics too much.

And a Yeti race would be so awesome... anyone remember this guy?

6-umaro-g.jpg

Umaro! :D

Ah, nostalgia...

• Like 1

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself! Apart from pain... and maybe humiliation. And obviously death and failure. But apart from fear, pain, humiliation, failure, the unknown and death, we have nothing to fear but fear itself!"

Didn't they say already that godlike might be like DnD's Aasimar or Tiefling races. Pretty much look like other races with minor differences like tails, glowing eyes, horns etc. I'd say that is what we will get because anything too big, like wings or extra arms, would be too much with regard to armors, combat mechanics etc

Aerie is a winged elf whose wings were cut off, that's how they worked that into the game without worrying about graphics too much.

Exaggerated over reaction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbeR6uYxU50

Normal real reaction:

Okay fine *goes and sulks in a corner* 6 arms would be cool though :devil:

Edited by Osvir

perhaps the Godlike vary depending on which god they were "touched" by...

certainly leaves the door open to further elaborate on their appearance, if not in this game then in future installments.

So.. an evolving race? Stays Blue throughout P:E but in P:E2 they will "Hatch" and get wings or become more corrupted?

On one of my Baldur's Gate playthroughs in the past I used this character concept: 2nd in the middle-row ninja~blue

I was going to start over from the beginning with an entirely new character (new class, new portrait etc. etc.) when I started Baldur's Gate 2 (or just customize his Portrait into this). Soul Reaver. Where my Hero now has become a foul beast of his former self, corrupted and evil, in reflection to his good deeds in Baldur's Gate as a Paladin (basically a now Fallen Paladin). Never got around to finish BG1 on that playthrough though.

Edited by Osvir

^ i mean that the Godlike, while considered a separate race by normies, vary greatly in their appearance depending on which god they were touched by at birth...

for example a Godlike touched by the godess of fire may have red hair and eyes or perhaps red skin...a Godlike toched by the god of the sea may be greenish blue with gills and so on depending on the deities realm of power.

What do you mean with ancient Greek heroes? Supply linkage because I don't really understand (Most of the Greek heroes were ordinary muscular humans).

Yes. Idealised humans.

The only flaw in my thinking is the fact that nowadays there are barely any normal looking heroes to found in computer games anyway. :getlost:

I'd imagine they'd be androgynous and otherworldly (with shifts in how that otherworldly-ness represented itself dependant on subrace). I don't just want to see an Aasimar/Tiefling rehash, superficial similarities are fine but it would be nice if they weren't derivative.

It may depend on what is tolerated in the society, and how willing parents are to raise such a child. The list could be endless:

• Non-human flesh: either an unusual skin tone or an animal-like or alien hide. Transparent, opaque, or glowing.
  • Unusual hair: crystal, feathers, plasma, wavy tendrils, hazy mist.
  • Extra appendages: tail, wings, horns, antennae, fangs, extra arms, extra eyes, tubes, or throbbing buboes.
  • Different bodily proportions: unusually tall, lean, or bulky. Odd joints.

I suspect they will need to whittle down the list to a fixed set for budget reasons.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I think looks should be drastically different in a good way.....they should look as though they are magic incarnate....very good looks with supernatural characteristics like glowing eyes/skin or something along those lines. It should be instantly visible to all. As far as power goes....well, they really should be god-like. Insanely powerful and near damn impossible to defeat even at the lowest character level even by the toughest enemies/monsters the game has to offer. The godlike race should be an unlocked reward for beating the toughest difficulty settings in the game and should reflect that the player is essentially a god in the game.

This should even unlock special events and story paths perhaps....it would make a lot more sense for more enemies to surrender or run for it while others would form unlikely alliances with enemies in some misguided hope to take you down(of course they'd still pose as much of a threat as a paper towel). The possibilities here are infinite and I think it would provide a lot of motivation for players to play the really hard settings in hopes of unlocking the godlike race and associated content. Just some thoughts.

Edited by Darth Trethon
  • Like 1

1zq6793.jpg

perhaps the Godlike vary depending on which god they were "touched" by...

certainly leaves the door open to further elaborate on their appearance, if not in this game then in future installments.

This is actually very much along the lines of what was going through my head when I opened this thread. Why can't the Godlike race have an extremely varying pallete akin to the gods themselves? Perhaps vissual (and anatomical?) differences are commonplace among their race?

Unfortunately Obsidian has already given a very solid idea of what the Godlike will be like and it's the underwhelming twin of D&D's Godlike races.

• Like 1

Do not criticize a fish for being a turtle when it is, in fact, a fish.

One in the same really. They do directly reference the D&D races (aasimar, tieflings, and genasi) in the Godlike description but they really are one in the same. It's in the direction of what I would like but less intrinsic of the good/nuetral/evil staple.

Do not criticize a fish for being a turtle when it is, in fact, a fish.

Cthulhu humanoids, this is something I woudl like tentacles instead of hair, pointy teeths , but not necessary evil but with tendency for blue and orange morality. Myabe somethin elemental but not to much, or something bug like. Generic human with horns, and and tail from butt or aryan wet dream, tends to be slightly boring , the same thing goes with generic wolfs , and cats on two legs.

Edited by Cryticus

Cthulhu humanoids

I second this. I think that Genesis (DAZ Studio) allows this fairly easy, you make one Squid template (with face and all) and then you can apply it to a big figure (human), a small figure (dwarf), thin figure (elf) etc. etc. so I don't know if any "fine" tailoring is entirely 100% required. I don't think they need to make 1 Cthulhu for Humans, 1 for Dwarves etc. etc. *shrug* I might remember that pitch video on Genesis wrong though hmm..

Um I thought planetouched would be a little more subtle .. going with the Aasimar/Tiefling .. and not something that just freak everyone out when you step into a town unless you cover yourself up in full armor or its Halloween.

Unless planetouched are a common sight and it's okay to see talking borderline alien monsters selling fruits in the market.

It may depend on what is tolerated in the society, and how willing parents are to raise such a child. The list could be endless:

• Non-human flesh: either an unusual skin tone or an animal-like or alien hide. Transparent, opaque, or glowing.
  • Unusual hair: crystal, feathers, plasma, wavy tendrils, hazy mist.
  • Extra appendages: tail, wings, horns, antennae, fangs, extra arms, extra eyes, tubes, or throbbing buboes.
  • Different bodily proportions: unusually tall, lean, or bulky. Odd joints.

I suspect they will need to whittle down the list to a fixed set for budget reasons.

Exactly. I would like the devs to look for inspiration in Warhammer Fantasy to the champions of Chaos