Unofficial P.E. Relationship/Romance Thread pt.2

Also some of here characters are mighty good.

Where? Who? The "Up against the wall" Isabela? Or the "virginal girl next door" Meril? Or the hawksexual terrorist, that every important person ignores at the end?

The hawksexual terrorist first and foremost. Loved his magic trick in the end.

Other two are also good, also I handed Isabella over to Qunari in act 2, but that was for roleplay reasons, not because I hated how the character was written or something. Have no idea how she is in the third act through.

:facepalm:

Well, I can't help you there. If blowing up a church with the most innocent, kind, respectful, and logical person in DA2, in order to stop negotiations, while crying the entire game about none wanting to understand mages, makes him a good character to you... and then everyone ignores the real threat. Anders. and fight between themselves. While at the end both leaders go insane.....ugh.

I already commented on Isabella, I'm not going to again.

Unplayable can have many meanings. All I know is that the "Story Mode" from ME3 should be used here instead. Then I wouldn't have to go through 1534562345623 enemies between cutscenes. And it wasn't bad because of romances? Jennifer Hepler was the lead writer, and she is a fangirl, a yaoi fangirl at that. And hates gameplay.

So wait... you're upset that the game had a game in it and wasn't just a interactive movie? I have to kill dozens of enemies to reach the next bit of dialogue in a BG game as well. Also despite her apparent distaste for gameplay the gameplay in ME3 was incredibly well done. They combat was probably the best out of the 3 games.

Also I don't see what the lead writers preferences have to do with anything. I mean to hear you say 'yaoi fangirl at that' just implies some absurd level of distain for a person you don't know. It's not unlike people saying, 'oh, you play video games? I'm sure your a 40 year old virgin living in your mothers basement with no friends and no life.' It's a complete cop-out. Her enjoyment of fanfiction, yaoi, or a combination of both have nothing to do with her ability as a writer. I think the story and world of mass effect were told in very convincing way. Granted it's just my opinion, but it's got nothing to do with her personal life only on the games. I'm willing to accept it if you thought the story sucked in the games but it's got nothing to do with her hobbies.

Jennifer Hepler has nothing to do with Mas Effect 3 or any other Mass Effect game, nor does she has anything to do with gameplay at all. Geez, she is a writer, she wrights things, not design playing mechanics. She is in Dragon Age team exclusively.

Edited by LadyCrimson
the quoted vid link again, heh

Will i be able to be a bard and enchant women to do my bidding through my wonderful singing? Playing as a manwhore is very relevant to my roleplaying interests.

Only if there is also an ability to enslave nations with necromancy.

Combine both and we have a bold and daring game. The necrophiliac bard that had the largest harem ever known in an RPG.

Combine it with Metiman's proposal to combine subdue mechanics with romance to make a 'one-sided romance' and potential brothel and you have true awesomeness.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

So wait... you're upset that the game had a game in it and wasn't just a interactive movie? I have to kill dozens of enemies to reach the next bit of dialogue in a BG game as well. Also despite her apparent distaste for gameplay the gameplay in ME3 was incredibly well done. They combat was probably the best out of the 3 games.

Also I don't see what the lead writers preferences have to do with anything. I mean to hear you say 'yaoi fangirl at that' just implies some absurd level of distain for a person you don't know. It's not unlike people saying, 'oh, you play video games? I'm sure your a 40 year old virgin living in your mothers basement with no friends and no life.' It's a complete cop-out. Her enjoyment of fanfiction, yaoi, or a combination of both have nothing to do with her ability as a writer. I think the story and world of mass effect were told in very convincing way. Granted it's just my opinion, but it's got nothing to do with her personal life only on the games. I'm willing to accept it if you thought the story sucked in the games but it's got nothing to do with her hobbies.

The problem is that she is writing fanfiction, she doesn't write stories to write a good story, but to have her fantasies about romance. She cares little about the world the story takes place in, or about writing a good plot. That together with Gaider's love for Twillight bring us...... wait for it.......

DA2!

And I never said anything about ME3's combat, just that the Story Mode would serve better in DA2. And if you don't see a problem with a writer in the game industry hating combat in games that involve combat, maybe RPGs aren't for you.

:facepalm:

Well, I can't help you there. If blowing up a church with the most innocent, kind, respectful, and logical person in DA2, in order to stop negotiations, while crying the entire game about none wanting to understand mages, makes him a good character to you... and then everyone ignores the real threat. Anders. and fight between themselves. While at the end both leaders go insane.....ugh.

I already commented on Isabella, I'm not going to again.

That "innocent, kind, respectful, and logical person" was actually the most useless person ever, having extensive authority and doing nothing with it, passively looking from the distance. Negotiations were also all for nothing, nearly delaying the inevitable. The city was a boiling pot with a lid welded down to it, it had to explode at some point, to think otherwise is a self-delusion.

Not a fan of da bunny slippers, I take it?

Depends. Are they romanceable, and is one of them bi?

They are sisters and a twincest mod is in the works, check nexus in two weeks.

Say no to popamole!

Does Dave Gaider really like Twilight? I know he's a Joss Wheedon fan.... but Twilight???

Tell me it ain't so.

Yup, in a post in BSN. I'll post it if someone doesn't beat me to it, while I search(or not) for it. And Hepler hates the LoTR books! Great combo for a fantasy genre story with combat eh?

I'll take your word for it. Dave is like a leitmotif of everything that went wrong with Bio. I remember him when he once sent me a personal email because I was having problems with a mod he made. Nicest guy. Then he morphs into Emo-Zilla. *sobs*

sonsofgygax.JPG

Does Dave Gaider really like Twilight? I know he's a Joss Wheedon fan.... but Twilight???

Tell me it ain't so.

Gaider's quote I was able to google in 30 seconds: "I find Twilight both fascinating and horrifying".

You obviously missed this:

"Well, I think Twilight is far more effective with its romantic elements than most people give it credit for. Granted, it has little else going for it-- but the romance it does well. I find it a fascinating exercise to analyze exactly why that is (which I do for many romances... thankfully Cori is a giant romance movie buff)."

For some reason I can't link to that post directly. But it is on the same thread I linked earlier. And I can't believe you guys defend bioware.

For some reason I can't link to that post directly. But it is on the same thread I linked earlier. And I can't believe you guys defend bioware.

Well, I just can't force myself not to love DAO.

Please forgive me about that, I'm so sorry ;( ...

And I can't believe you guys defend bioware.

They obviously have some fans, their games still sell in the millions.

And why are they here? Obviously bioware makes the kind of games they need. And obviously they like their writing style. Why the need to tell every other cRPG developer to have the same style?

Edited by kenup
  • Like 1

Merrill (DA2), Tali (Mass Effect)

Ok now you are trolling. I ignore the other two, but with these ones no one with a brain should take you seriously.

You don't have to like their storylines, but Tali and Merrill had their own problems that were not linked with the main character in any way. Tali had the difficoult relationship with her race and her father, Merrill had her quest for the Eluvian.

I hate Merrill and I consider her a childish emo girl that does nothing else but cry around and complain that no one wants to help her, but this is just a personal judgement. Facts are that romancing her is totally optional, her storyline goes on with or without you by her side.

Yes,and the main story was a mess consisting in mandatory side-quests.But you and others will undoubtly keep deluding yourselves that romances don't detract from more important things.

DA2 wasn't a great game. It wasn't unplayable either. But in the end a game being bad that includes romances doesn't mean it was bad because of them. I mean the game has sword combat and a magic system for crying out loud, clearly you can't do both in 1 game and still have a good game!

What I wrote wasn't hard to understand:you brought up Dating Age 2 while saying that romances don't detract from other parts of the writing.No need to comment further on such statement.Just like I'll refrain from commenting on the sword vs magic thing.

So let's be honest DA2 was a disappointment for many fans, myself included, but it had to do with the game being rushed and the swap to a pseudo mass effect play style in order to try and broaden the appeal of the game. DA:O was a fine game that had romances in it. The same goes for the ME series and BG series and yes to an extent Planescape Torment. Yes Fall-from-grace couldn't touch you and things with Annah only lead as far as a kiss but that doesn't mean they weren't romances.

DA2 was the biggest disgrace to ever happen to the RPG genre with its trash mobs,poor writing,creepy romances(including one with a loli) and terrible level design(wich 'quality' was an even bigger issue than the repetition).

DAO was a mediocre game that had the same problems of its sequel,just to a minor extent.It managed to be successful due to lack of direct competition and people's low standard.Same with Mass Erection series.

BG series was good except for BW's cheesy writing.

The fact that you feel the need to clarify that despite not touching you TNO/just kissing you TNO...let's just drop it.

All of the game you mentioned had poor masturbatory romances,except for the Grace one wich was merely tolerable.

In the end having romance options in game and having good game with interesting characters are NOT mutually exclusive. If there is a team out there that can do it in a way that would change the minds of all the doubters it's this one. So I save give them the chance to do so.

Well founded budgetary concerns won't go away because you people ask it without giving good reasons.

Dungeon Siege 3 is about ten times worse than Dragon Age 2, I could actually get deep into Dragon Age 2 before the stupidity known as Isabella made me stop. Dungeon Siege 3, well... let me check Steam...3 hours played. Yep, couldn't stomach another second.

And?

Dragon Age: Origins however was quite good.

Trash mobs,banal encounters,clichè story and characters Bioware continued to copy-paste for a decade despite the little depth,overly linear and small levels,kooldowns that kill resource management,bland art direction.

The problem is that she is writing fanfiction, she doesn't write stories to write a good story, but to have her fantasies about romance. She cares little about the world the story takes place in, or about writing a good plot. That together with Gaider's love for Twillight bring us...... wait for it.......

DA2!

And I never said anything about ME3's combat, just that the Story Mode would serve better in DA2. And if you don't see a problem with a writer in the game industry hating combat in games that involve combat, maybe RPGs aren't for you.

Fanfiction really doesn't concern me or effect my enjoyment of the source material that spawned it. So we'll just have to disagree there on what it implies that she's writing fan fiction about a world she worked on. Although really it's simply no more than writing down 'what if this happened...' rather than just letting your idle thoughts stay in your head. I've certainly imagined different endings or plot twists to games I enjoyed. It never meant I disrespected the source material.

As far as the DA2 comment goes like I said, the game was a disappointment. However it certainly wasn't a hentai dating sim as so many people want to claim. Moving on.

No, I don't see any problem with a writer not enjoying combat in a videogame. She's a writer. She's not a designer. She doesn't want things to break the flow of her story anymore than a novelist would want you to have to run a quarter mile in between chapters. Quite simply put she's a part of a team and it's her job to write and others put together the game. I'm sure if she had complete control over a game it would be more like Heavy Rain however since ME3 clearly was not Heavy Rain I'm not sure how much her personal preferences mattered in terms of affecting the development of the game.

Finally understanding her in that regard doesn't mean I don't like RPGs or that I don't like combat in them. As I said I greatly enjoyed the combat in ME3. I also pretty much base my enjoyment of JRPGs off the combat system rather than the story since 90% of the game is the combat.

1 last comment and I'll give this thread a rest. I just don't understand this passionate hate for romances in games. I mean even you seem to hate the idea of romantic fan-fiction but I imagine you'd have zero problem with a group of fans getting together to write a handful of better endings for the ME series. It doesn't matter though, I know I can't change minds in this regard. I just hope the developers will have a bit of an open mind regarding the topic and consider giving those of us who enjoy romances in our games something to enjoy as their have been many many good posts about how to do them well through out the the unoffical romance threads and the one that came before them. If not I'll still enjoy the game it'll just be lacking an emotional element that I see no reason to leave out.

K is for Kid, a guy or gal just like you. Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

And why are they here? Obviously bioware makes the kind of games they need. And obviously they like their writing style. Why the need to tell every other cRPG developer have the same style?

Again, I'm sorry and I'm asking for your forgiveness, but Obsidian is actually my favourite RPG developer ever. I guess this has something to do with my presence here...

And why are they here? Obviously bioware makes the kind of games they need. And obviously they like their writing style. Why the need to tell every other cRPG developer have the same style?

Again, I'm sorry and I'm asking for your forgiveness, but Obsidian is actually my favourite RPG developer ever. I guess this has something to do with my presence here...

You certainly don't showcase that.

@Pshaw I already wrote my thoughts about Hepler. If you can't see wrong with someone hating combat in video games, while working on those kinds of games, nothing I say will change that. Same if you can't see the wrong in not liking Tolkien's books but loving the movies and understand what a fangirl or fanboy is.

Edited by kenup

People can be fans of more than one thing.

Do you guys really enjoying mocking people so much?

We've got to do something for the next two years.

I for one enjoy having my posts deleted.

Well, not really.

Say no to popamole!