Poor beastiary, Unsatisfying Creature variety "Unacceptable".

Anyone else here getting the feeling Obsidian is spreading themselves really thin with all this talk on BIG goals. And that Mega dungeons a WHOLE new story in itself if its the same creatures and monsters on "every" floor.

Yeah, Just imagine it. This big huge world filled with a miniscule amount of wildlife and fauna, that after like two hours of playing you'd have seen near everything? Does that sound fun?! I can see it now, they'll be all like, "We got bears,wolves, and boars, that's a wrap for wild animals". And lets not get started with a lackluster variety of undead(there's more then zombies and skeletons), but I'm sure some folks don't even want to see "that".

You know what I'd like to see, Maybe not as they are in our prehistoria... But I'd love to see dinosaurs, Yeah YOU can bet JURASS I'd like to see dinosaurs! Though once again I'm sure AGAIN people wouldn't want to see this either... Or better yet, how about some original Creations? Dungeons and Dragons was Bloated with the sort. From Carrion Crawlers, to Ankhegs, to Vrocks(You know, the demons)... And even I remember my first encounter with the now WAY overdone Gelatinous cube(still welcome sight)

Do people even care if their adventure is full of bizarre creatures? Maybe folks really do just want to kill the same things... Over and over and over... And never want to slay something truly Bizarre and monstrous... I'm sure Obsidian knows this too...

Do "you" care if they save their budget on this feature, and keep the creature variety limited to an amount countable on ones hands? If there were only "ten" creatures in the game(not including the main humanoid races), would that be something that hurts your enjoyment of this game?

Hell, What creatures would you be upset "not" seeing? Or better yet, what creatures would you "BE" upset seeing?

Edited by Erollisi Marr

4mil stretch goal: we will add more than one type of monster for you to slay!

"Designing and coding monsters is tough and costly work...but with your help we can add up to THREE NEW MONSTER TYPES for you and your party to genocide! ~but only with your help~!"

Sounds legit.

of course then people will come on the forums and complain that the 3 new monsters will "dilute" the quality of the preexisting monster already in the game...

Edited by NerdBoner
  • Like 3

Anyone else here getting the feeling Obsidian is spreading themselves really thin with all this talk on BIG goals. And that Mega dungeons a WHOLE new story in itself if its the same creatures and monsters on "every" floor.

Yeah, Just imagine it. This big huge world filled with a miniscule amount of wildlife and fauna, that after like two hours of playing you'd have seen near everything? Does that sound fun?! I can see it now, they'll be all like, "We got bears,wolves, and boars, that's a wrap for wild animals". And lets not get started with a lackluster variety of undead(there's more then zombies and skeletons), but I'm sure some folks don't even want to see "that".

You know what I'd like to see, Maybe not as they are in our prehistoria... But I'd love to see dinosaurs, Yeah YOU can bet JURASS I'd like to see dinosaurs! Though once again I'm sure AGAIN people wouldn't want to see this either... Or better yet, how about some original Creations? Dungeons and Dragons was Bloated with the sort. From Carrion Crawlers, to Ankhegs, to Vrocks(You know, the demons)... And even I remember my first encounter with the now WAY overdone Gelatinous cube(still welcome sight)

Do people even care if their adventure is full of bizarre creatures? Maybe folks really do just want to kill the same things... Over and over and over... And never want to slay something truly Bizarre and monstrous... I'm sure Obsidian knows this too...

Do "you" care if they save their budget on this feature, and keep the creature variety limited to an amount countable on ones hands? If there were only "ten" creatures in the game(not including the main humanoid races), would that be something that hurts your enjoyment of this game?

Hell, What creatures would you be upset "not" seeing? Or better yet, what creatures would you "BE" upset seeing?

The creature variety isn't going to be limited and they have not spread themselves thin in any way, shape, or form. They stated that the other IE games were done with similar 'small' teams, not to mention they don't have to build an engine from the ground up, it's already there and ready for them to use. That already saves a great deal of time and money. I'm not sure why this would even get brought up.

In fact the creature variety will be even more so than it would have been, this new dungeon, the fort, the big big city number 2 all add characters, lore, and new creatures to the game. You're stating that adding new content takes away other content, when in fact it not only adds more content, but it adds everything we want in a new infinity game.

Edited by Loranc

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.

Anyone else here getting the feeling Obsidian is spreading themselves really thin with all this talk on BIG goals.

In a word? NO

A lot of people seem to think that as the goals are met that all the stuff promised for them is going to be added on to the same team with the same resources and that the only thing that money means is they will get paid more to do it - such is not the case according to what we have been told by Obsidians leaders -

Making the goals means there is more money in the budget to fund more people and more resources for the project which will then will allow those goals to be met within the timeframe they have set for the overall project.

Meeting these goals means we get a bigger better game because they have more money in the budget to use to make it happen - it's something to be excited about not something to get all negative about -

Edit: Oh wait - this is the internet isn't it where negativity rules - my bad... :no:

Edited by wanderon
  • Like 4

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

Wait? You mean you can't make a game with only one enemy type, called Darkspawn? Or if we're generous 2 (Cerberus, Reaper). Someone better tell some developer.

But yeah, I have no doubt there will be a great variety of enemies. Unlike most modern RPG's.

I will be dissapointed without rakshasa though, we definitely need some kind of enemy resembling it xD

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Wait? You mean you can't make a game with only one enemy type, called Darkspawn? Or if we're generous 2 (Cerberus, Reaper). Someone better tell some developer.

But yeah, I have no doubt there will be a great variety of enemies. Unlike most modern RPG's.

I will be dissapointed without rakshasa though, we definitely need some kind of enemy resembling it xD

OH man, Story of gaming right there. I swear in Dragon Age my character herself said, "Oh, it looks like more darkspawn." and I was all like, "YOU THINK?!". That had to have been the worst case of this problem in any game ever made. Swear it was a traumatizing effect. I don't think Dragon Age II even worked on fixing that... Hell mighta been worse... Anyone know if DA2 Had a larger or smaller beastiary of creatures then DA1?

Edited by Erollisi Marr

OH man, Story of gaming right there. I swear in Dragon Age my character herself said, "Oh, it looks like more darkspawn." and I was all like, "YOU THINK?!". That had to have been the worst case of this problem in any game ever made. Swear it was a traumatizing effect. I don't think Dragon Age II even worked on fixing that... Hell mighta been worse... Anyone know if DA2 Had a larger or smaller beastiary of creatures then DA1?

I think it was smaller. They lost genlocks, among other things.

The non-monstrous enemies expanded significantly, though.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'd like to see a good variety, yes, and if they're doing a new IP, might as well not have orcs, or even worse, things that look and sound like orcs but are called darkspawn, or whatever else. Or, at least, orcs that make sense in that particular setting in their own way. After all, and funnily enough, LOTR still has one of the best and unique depictions of orcs.

• Like 1

I think it was smaller. They lost genlocks, among other things.

The non-monstrous enemies expanded significantly, though.

But damn near everything fought the same.

Commander-type enemy with auras and ****, melee enemy, ranged enemy, assassin, and mage. That's it. That's all of them. Every single enemy you face will not just fall in to one those archetypes: they will be one of those five exact enemies, only with different amounts of hitpoints. Every mage even has identical spells (teleport, invincibility, small attack spell, great big attack spell), none of which are actual spells that you can use. Except for the mages that aren't actually mages, they're just regular ranged enemies with mage models and attack animations.

And the monstrous enemies largely followed the same pattern. Melee spider and ranged spider. Melee skeleton and ranged seleton.

Edited by Tamerlane
jcod0.png

You know what I'd like to see, Maybe not as they are in our prehistoria... But I'd love to see dinosaurs, Yeah YOU can bet JURASS I'd like to see dinosaurs!

I see what you did there, and I am amused. :p

I would love to see dinosaurs or dinosaur-like creatures in PE. Some could be aggressive carnivores, but I'd want some to be passive herbivores (that just lumber about the forest unless you threaten them... in which case they could either be angry or frightened).

Edited by ddillon
  • Like 1

Well iteration time will be shorter than when making IE games due to 10 years worth of faster hardware and improved technology. They said it only takes half an hour to render a 2D Backdrop now instead of a few days so ... who knows.

I doubt it'll be anywhere near the level of Baldur's Gate 2 ... but one can only hope.

A good thing BG2 did is make the most out of it's models. A Ghoul model was recolored and used as a Ghast and a Lacedon (and probably a couple others as well).

Balderdash I say.

Well iteration time will be shorter than when making IE games due to 10 years worth of faster hardware and improved technology. They said it only takes half an hour to render a 2D Backdrop now instead of a few days so ... who knows.

I doubt it'll be anywhere near the level of Baldur's Gate 2 ... but one can only hope.

A good thing BG2 did is make the most out of it's models. A Ghoul model was recolored and used as a Ghast and a Lacedon (and probably a couple others as well).

Thinking back on Baldur's Gates creature compendium... They really did have a lot of good stuff in that game didn't they...? I dare say unexpected creatures would pop out "here, there". Hell... Reminds me of a stroll my characters took through the City sewers of that game once... !!!tALe tiME!~~

So this one time, I was going through the town. I hadn't saved in ages and found an entry way into the sewers. So I was walking through those sewers(still hadn't saved). And was Assailed by kobolds. Now in Baldurs Gate, kobolds were a "RIOT" to kill, They'd bark and holler and like lays chips, you can't stop with just one(as in killing one). So I slew them good. But I do mean it like this immediately got assaulted by what I remember to be "A giant HIDEOUS" Centipede... Which I'll add I never saw anywhere else EVER again. So I remember it "VERY" well. IT PARALYZED my warrior(main character), and nearly slew me.

A heal kept her alive and I JUST bout made it out, And then a green slime threw its ooze on her. I killed that, and pressed Q(quicksave) but noticed my character was mysteriously green. Ten seconds later, a video of my characters hand turning to dust played... So I reloaded the quick save and noticed, my character was green...

Good times good times... Honestly lost those thirty five minutes of work. Now the above is what I call "An adventure". Oh, and those vargoulies in Planescape Torment were horrifying.

Edited by Erollisi Marr

But I do mean it like this immediately got assaulted by what I remember to be "A giant HIDEOUS" Centipede... Which I'll add I never saw anywhere else EVER again. So I remember it "VERY" well. IT PARALYZED my warrior(main character), and nearly slew me.

I guess you didn't play Baldur's Gate 1 ?

Carrion Crawler :p

Who cares about creatures. I want carnivorous mega-flora :(

Just imaginge trudging through glorious swamps, fending off tentacles from unknown submerged entities, trying to drag the unskilled adventurer to an ignominous death, just to rush towards a small patch of land to discover that the slime and muck covered "dead" foliage is humongous venus fly trap leaves. The only way up is grabbing the "vines" hanging down the rotting, dead trees, to discover that they are choke vines that will entangle you like sundew, holding you paralyzed for days while slowly digesting your innards. Who needs dinosaurs???

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Who needs dinosaurs???

Me! I want to ride a triceratops into battle while wearing nothing but a loincloth, screaming at the top of my lungs, alternating between flinging fireballs at my enemies and using the beast's massive head plate as a shield! Too much to ask? :p

Mega-flora could be cool... but only if there's a hot Poison Ivy lookalike, too...

Edited by ddillon
  • Like 1