Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Poor beastiary, Unsatisfying Creature variety "Unacceptable".

Beastiary Creatures Wildlife Animals Monsters

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

Erollisi Marr

Erollisi Marr

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Anyone else here getting the feeling Obsidian is spreading themselves really thin with all this talk on BIG goals. And that Mega dungeons a WHOLE new story in itself if its the same creatures and monsters on "every" floor.

Yeah, Just imagine it. This big huge world filled with a miniscule amount of wildlife and fauna, that after like two hours of playing you'd have seen near everything? Does that sound fun?! I can see it now, they'll be all like, "We got bears,wolves, and boars, that's a wrap for wild animals". And lets not get started with a lackluster variety of undead(there's more then zombies and skeletons), but I'm sure some folks don't even want to see "that".

You know what I'd like to see, Maybe not as they are in our prehistoria... But I'd love to see dinosaurs, Yeah YOU can bet JURASS I'd like to see dinosaurs! Though once again I'm sure AGAIN people wouldn't want to see this either... Or better yet, how about some original Creations? Dungeons and Dragons was Bloated with the sort. From Carrion Crawlers, to Ankhegs, to Vrocks(You know, the demons)... And even I remember my first encounter with the now WAY overdone Gelatinous cube(still welcome sight)

Do people even care if their adventure is full of bizarre creatures? Maybe folks really do just want to kill the same things... Over and over and over... And never want to slay something truly Bizarre and monstrous... I'm sure Obsidian knows this too...

Do "you" care if they save their budget on this feature, and keep the creature variety limited to an amount countable on ones hands? If there were only "ten" creatures in the game(not including the main humanoid races), would that be something that hurts your enjoyment of this game?

Hell, What creatures would you be upset "not" seeing? Or better yet, what creatures would you "BE" upset seeing?

Edited by Erollisi Marr, 14 October 2012 - 05:15 PM.

NerdBoner

NerdBoner

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 463 posts
4mil stretch goal: we will add more than one type of monster for you to slay!

"Designing and coding monsters is tough and costly work...but with your help we can add up to THREE NEW MONSTER TYPES for you and your party to genocide! ~but only with your help~!"

Sounds legit.

of course then people will come on the forums and complain that the 3 new monsters will "dilute" the quality of the preexisting monster already in the game...

Edited by NerdBoner, 14 October 2012 - 05:22 PM.

• Gelp, Tobi and mcmanusaur like this

santanzchild

santanzchild

Lil Devil of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
..... Wow hateful this evening aren't we.
  • HangedMan likes this

Valamyr

Valamyr

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 23 posts
Eh, one of the advantages of isometric is that it should be fairly trivial to add creature diversity. I think with 3.5 Million they'll have enough cash on hand to spare to making a wonderful bestiary.

Erollisi Marr

Erollisi Marr

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

..... Wow hateful this evening aren't we.

"Always"...

Loranc

Loranc

Lowly Serf of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 561 posts

Anyone else here getting the feeling Obsidian is spreading themselves really thin with all this talk on BIG goals. And that Mega dungeons a WHOLE new story in itself if its the same creatures and monsters on "every" floor.

Yeah, Just imagine it. This big huge world filled with a miniscule amount of wildlife and fauna, that after like two hours of playing you'd have seen near everything? Does that sound fun?! I can see it now, they'll be all like, "We got bears,wolves, and boars, that's a wrap for wild animals". And lets not get started with a lackluster variety of undead(there's more then zombies and skeletons), but I'm sure some folks don't even want to see "that".

You know what I'd like to see, Maybe not as they are in our prehistoria... But I'd love to see dinosaurs, Yeah YOU can bet JURASS I'd like to see dinosaurs! Though once again I'm sure AGAIN people wouldn't want to see this either... Or better yet, how about some original Creations? Dungeons and Dragons was Bloated with the sort. From Carrion Crawlers, to Ankhegs, to Vrocks(You know, the demons)... And even I remember my first encounter with the now WAY overdone Gelatinous cube(still welcome sight)

Do people even care if their adventure is full of bizarre creatures? Maybe folks really do just want to kill the same things... Over and over and over... And never want to slay something truly Bizarre and monstrous... I'm sure Obsidian knows this too...

Do "you" care if they save their budget on this feature, and keep the creature variety limited to an amount countable on ones hands? If there were only "ten" creatures in the game(not including the main humanoid races), would that be something that hurts your enjoyment of this game?

Hell, What creatures would you be upset "not" seeing? Or better yet, what creatures would you "BE" upset seeing?

The creature variety isn't going to be limited and they have not spread themselves thin in any way, shape, or form. They stated that the other IE games were done with similar 'small' teams, not to mention they don't have to build an engine from the ground up, it's already there and ready for them to use. That already saves a great deal of time and money. I'm not sure why this would even get brought up.

In fact the creature variety will be even more so than it would have been, this new dungeon, the fort, the big big city number 2 all add characters, lore, and new creatures to the game. You're stating that adding new content takes away other content, when in fact it not only adds more content, but it adds everything we want in a new infinity game.

Edited by Loranc, 14 October 2012 - 05:29 PM.

wanderon

wanderon

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1242 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Anyone else here getting the feeling Obsidian is spreading themselves really thin with all this talk on BIG goals.

In a word? NO

A lot of people seem to think that as the goals are met that all the stuff promised for them is going to be added on to the same team with the same resources and that the only thing that money means is they will get paid more to do it - such is not the case according to what we have been told by Obsidians leaders -

Making the goals means there is more money in the budget to fund more people and more resources for the project which will then will allow those goals to be met within the timeframe they have set for the overall project.

Meeting these goals means we get a bigger better game because they have more money in the budget to use to make it happen - it's something to be excited about not something to get all negative about -

Edit: Oh wait - this is the internet isn't it where negativity rules - my bad... :no:

Edited by wanderon, 14 October 2012 - 05:46 PM.

• HangedMan, Gelp, Epsilon Rose and 1 other like this

Acridine Orange

Acridine Orange

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 13 posts
To add to what wanderon said, you also have to consider the fact that this is Obsidian...they are a very high quality group and they don't half ass anything.
  • Rabain, Tobi and Frisk like this

Hassat Hunter

Hassat Hunter

Royal Bug Catcher of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5738 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Wait? You mean you can't make a game with only one enemy type, called Darkspawn? Or if we're generous 2 (Cerberus, Reaper). Someone better tell some developer.

But yeah, I have no doubt there will be a great variety of enemies. Unlike most modern RPG's.
I will be dissapointed without rakshasa though, we definitely need some kind of enemy resembling it xD
  • Gelp likes this

Erollisi Marr

Erollisi Marr

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Wait? You mean you can't make a game with only one enemy type, called Darkspawn? Or if we're generous 2 (Cerberus, Reaper). Someone better tell some developer.

But yeah, I have no doubt there will be a great variety of enemies. Unlike most modern RPG's.
I will be dissapointed without rakshasa though, we definitely need some kind of enemy resembling it xD

OH man, Story of gaming right there. I swear in Dragon Age my character herself said, "Oh, it looks like more darkspawn." and I was all like, "YOU THINK?!". That had to have been the worst case of this problem in any game ever made. Swear it was a traumatizing effect. I don't think Dragon Age II even worked on fixing that... Hell mighta been worse... Anyone know if DA2 Had a larger or smaller beastiary of creatures then DA1?

Edited by Erollisi Marr, 14 October 2012 - 06:26 PM.

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10761 posts
  • Steam:Tale
  • PSN Portable ID:Taleroth
  • Kickstarter Backer

OH man, Story of gaming right there. I swear in Dragon Age my character herself said, "Oh, it looks like more darkspawn." and I was all like, "YOU THINK?!". That had to have been the worst case of this problem in any game ever made. Swear it was a traumatizing effect. I don't think Dragon Age II even worked on fixing that... Hell mighta been worse... Anyone know if DA2 Had a larger or smaller beastiary of creatures then DA1?

I think it was smaller. They lost genlocks, among other things.

The non-monstrous enemies expanded significantly, though.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 10406 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I'd like to see a good variety, yes, and if they're doing a new IP, might as well not have orcs, or even worse, things that look and sound like orcs but are called darkspawn, or whatever else. Or, at least, orcs that make sense in that particular setting in their own way. After all, and funnily enough, LOTR still has one of the best and unique depictions of orcs.
  • Jaesun likes this

Tamerlane

Tamerlane

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1124 posts

I think it was smaller. They lost genlocks, among other things.

The non-monstrous enemies expanded significantly, though.

But damn near everything fought the same.

Commander-type enemy with auras and ****, melee enemy, ranged enemy, assassin, and mage. That's it. That's all of them. Every single enemy you face will not just fall in to one those archetypes: they will be one of those five exact enemies, only with different amounts of hitpoints. Every mage even has identical spells (teleport, invincibility, small attack spell, great big attack spell), none of which are actual spells that you can use. Except for the mages that aren't actually mages, they're just regular ranged enemies with mage models and attack animations.

And the monstrous enemies largely followed the same pattern. Melee spider and ranged spider. Melee skeleton and ranged seleton.

Edited by Tamerlane, 14 October 2012 - 06:56 PM.

ddillon

ddillon

Hellion of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

You know what I'd like to see, Maybe not as they are in our prehistoria... But I'd love to see dinosaurs, Yeah YOU can bet JURASS I'd like to see dinosaurs!

I see what you did there, and I am amused. :p

I would love to see dinosaurs or dinosaur-like creatures in PE. Some could be aggressive carnivores, but I'd want some to be passive herbivores (that just lumber about the forest unless you threaten them... in which case they could either be angry or frightened).

Edited by ddillon, 14 October 2012 - 07:10 PM.

• Tobi likes this

TCJ

TCJ

Court Fool of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 186 posts
Hey, if they get to 4 million, I'll be glad to sign on to the team for a 0.5 million paycheck. That would help them get more content, right? RIGHT?!

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Kickstarter Backer
Well iteration time will be shorter than when making IE games due to 10 years worth of faster hardware and improved technology. They said it only takes half an hour to render a 2D Backdrop now instead of a few days so ... who knows.

I doubt it'll be anywhere near the level of Baldur's Gate 2 ... but one can only hope.

A good thing BG2 did is make the most out of it's models. A Ghoul model was recolored and used as a Ghast and a Lacedon (and probably a couple others as well).

nikolokolus

nikolokolus

Bridge Troll of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1164 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Balderdash I say.

nikolokolus

nikolokolus

Bridge Troll of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1164 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Variety is garbage I say, give me nothing but bland oatmeal and tepid water! I demand it!

Erollisi Marr

Erollisi Marr

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Well iteration time will be shorter than when making IE games due to 10 years worth of faster hardware and improved technology. They said it only takes half an hour to render a 2D Backdrop now instead of a few days so ... who knows.

I doubt it'll be anywhere near the level of Baldur's Gate 2 ... but one can only hope.

A good thing BG2 did is make the most out of it's models. A Ghoul model was recolored and used as a Ghast and a Lacedon (and probably a couple others as well).

Thinking back on Baldur's Gates creature compendium... They really did have a lot of good stuff in that game didn't they...? I dare say unexpected creatures would pop out "here, there". Hell... Reminds me of a stroll my characters took through the City sewers of that game once... !!!tALe tiME!~~

So this one time, I was going through the town. I hadn't saved in ages and found an entry way into the sewers. So I was walking through those sewers(still hadn't saved). And was Assailed by kobolds. Now in Baldurs Gate, kobolds were a "RIOT" to kill, They'd bark and holler and like lays chips, you can't stop with just one(as in killing one). So I slew them good. But I do mean it like this immediately got assaulted by what I remember to be "A giant HIDEOUS" Centipede... Which I'll add I never saw anywhere else EVER again. So I remember it "VERY" well. IT PARALYZED my warrior(main character), and nearly slew me.

A heal kept her alive and I JUST bout made it out, And then a green slime threw its ooze on her. I killed that, and pressed Q(quicksave) but noticed my character was mysteriously green. Ten seconds later, a video of my characters hand turning to dust played... So I reloaded the quick save and noticed, my character was green...

Good times good times... Honestly lost those thirty five minutes of work. Now the above is what I call "An adventure". Oh, and those vargoulies in Planescape Torment were horrifying.

Edited by Erollisi Marr, 14 October 2012 - 07:47 PM.

Erollisi Marr

Erollisi Marr

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Variety is garbage I say, give me nothing but bland oatmeal and tepid water! I demand it!

How upset would you be if your oatmeal was of the flavored sort... say... "Apple cinnamon"...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beastiary, Creatures, Wildlife, Animals, Monsters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users