Automatic regeneration of hit points during combat

We already have the non-regenerating Health as a way to force us to pace ourselves, why complain that your Stamina comes back when it's eliminating stupid gameplay?

Yes. IE gameplay was certainly stupid.

well having to rest 2 times a day because you could not have the means to proceed otherwise was pretty coherent with your situation of being surrounded by enemies

• Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

BG, BG2 and IWD all had automatic regeneration for health points during combat and outside of combat, this game will not have such regeneration.

Just lol.

You should take better look how system in them work for character with high constitution.

Enlighten me please. How did High Con cause health to regenerate?

If character has 20+ con s/he will get per turn health regeneration.

So you mean that it was not always on for all characters?

"The essence of balance is detachment. To embrace a cause, to grow fond or spiteful, is to lose one's balance, after which, no action can be trusted. Our burden is not for the dependent of spirit."

Ah, I thought that you would mention 'Regenerate' spell or special magic item. Even trying to compare this to ordinary health regen is soo fattttt trrrrollling that I can't see my screen from the fat that you generate.

No to experimentation!

No to fixing that is not broken!

No to changes for the sake of change!

Do not forget basis of Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment. Just put all your effort to story, fine-tuning and quality control.

well having to rest 2 times a day because you could not have the means to proceed otherwise was pretty coherent with your situation of being surrounded by enemies

You should have switched to Easy if you had difficulties during combat encounters. :yes:

No to experimentation!

Do not forget basis of Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment. Just put all your effort to story, fine-tuning and quality control.

I have absolutely no doubts that due to the lack of information on how the system actually works, Shrek brings up some very valid points and concerns regarding how the Health/Stamina system will be implemented.

Still...

7kH1g.png

hw8RF.png

vCU8m.png

Darklands is Mass Effect 3.

Edited by Crusty

Ah, I thought that you would mention 'Regenerate' spell or special magic item. Even trying to compare this to ordinary health regen is soo fattttt trrrrollling that I can't see my screen from the fat that you generate.

What is really trolling is to say that system which Josh told in his update has health regeneration as it hasn't.

Edited by Elerond
  • Like 1

snip

Except that ME3/DA2/SKYRIM/PE have CONTINEOUS IN COMBAT Stamina Regen.

Secondly, I have tried to make this point several times. Just because a game was old does not make its mechanics great. Darklands did not necessarily have great combat implementation but what was good about it was its low magic setting and the skills. Compare its good parts with PE and that would be a fair comparison. The aim of PE is create IE clones; not darklands clones. Otherwise in the same vein one would say that PE is not like darklands because.... *1000 irrelevant points* .

"The essence of balance is detachment. To embrace a cause, to grow fond or spiteful, is to lose one's balance, after which, no action can be trusted. Our burden is not for the dependent of spirit."

snip

Except that ME3/DA2/SKYRIM/PE have CONTINEOUS IN COMBAT Stamina Regen.

Secondly, I have tried to make this point several times. Just because a game was old does not make its mechanics great. Darklands did not necessarily have great combat implementation but what was good about it was its low magic setting and the skills. Compare its good parts with PE and that would be a fair comparison. The aim of PE is create IE clones; not darklands clones. Otherwise in the same vein one would say that PE is not like darklands because.... *1000 irrelevant points* .

they never said IE clones. they said they want to bring the feeling of the IE games back not copy them. that means bigger parties, isometric graphics, more than 3 classes, complex combat and role play mechanics, etc. not the DnD gameplay that IE games had

• Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

they never said IE clones. they said they want to bring the feeling of the IE games back not copy them. that means bigger parties, isometric graphics, more than 3 classes, complex combat and role play mechanics, etc. not the DnD gameplay that IE games had

Of course you are correct, I did not mean that literally. Sorry if it came across like that. PE is not an IE clone anyway.

I personally do not like regeneration, if there is no logical explanation for it. Example an item that has regenerative abilities is fine in my opinion, but otherwise I do not want my team's health to be regenerating. Stamina/Endurance is of course a different thing in my opinion and is fine that it will regenerate, though preferably only outside of combat and with some spells etc. As otherwise it feels weird if it on it's own heals while in intense combat is going on... Maybe there could be small regeneration even in combat for endurance, but... Well I would prefer not to.

now that i read a comment from Tim i get the idea that we approach this from the wrong angle. according to his comment, there will be NO automatic regeneration of stamina, except out of combat and then slowly. however there will be items and skills-spells that will restore stamina fairly quickly, allowing the character to stand his ground if he has enough hp

-Teknoman2-

now that i read a comment from Tim i get the idea that we approach this from the wrong angle. according to his comment, there will be NO automatic regeneration of stamina, except out of combat and then slowly. however there will be items and skills-spells that will restore stamina fairly quickly, allowing the character to stand his ground if he has enough hp

THis is indeed a great news if true! But source?

Again. Please confirm to me that it is intended, that when my character is HURT BY A SWORD he will lose mostly his HP, not some silly stamina. When he is burnt by fireball he loses HP, not Stamina. If not, them Stamina is basically HPs that can be restored by COOLDOWN abilities.

No to experimentation!

I see this system being the equivalent of most shield/health systems around today. You get hurt and your shields go down, if they get down all the way your health takes damage and doesn't regenerate without a consumable. While it's a bit tired at this point I can't deny that it works pretty well mechanic wise.

So personally I think it's just fine provided it's implemented well. I would for instance say that without specific skill/perk investments in order to regenerate endurance you should need to go a certain amount of time without attacking or being hit whilst staying in 1 place. I think melee classes should have a way to make it regen constantly in combat while still being hit and attack. Perhaps spell casters could regen endurance while attacking/casting but not while on the move or being hit. Perhaps rogues and agility classes could regen while moving but not while attacking or being hit. A bit of diversity might spice up the system a bit to help make it stand out from the standard shield/health combo.

K is for Kid, a guy or gal just like you. Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Think of it as you character never gets hit, and the stamina lost "when hurt by a sword" is the stamina used dodging the blow

Sorry this greatly breaks any kind of immersion and is just plain silly. Stamina lost during dodging the blow? So to dodge a blow from Hill Giant I spend 50 Stamina, and to dodge of of 5persecond attacks by mega-super-duelist (but he wields only rapier) I use 15 Stamina?

Gods, let this never never never happen in this game. Please send a direct message to Obsidian's heads to not use this kind of system. :)

No to experimentation!

there isn't some kind of shield stat is stubornly being perceived as "regenerating health"?

I see this system being the equivalent of most shield/health systems around today.

No to experimentation!

There is no stat shielding hp in the described system. When you take damage your stamina stat is irrelevant in the calculation of the damage to health.

Ok, from your point of view. For what stands Stamina stat?

No to experimentation!

Short term hitpoint management. It's a completely seperate independent hitpoint bar. You can see it as 'tactical' hitpoints vs 'strategic' hitpoints.

It's about managing hitpoints in a single fight vs managing your hitpoints for a series of encounters.

Edited by butterfly

In fact stamina, as i understand it is basically equivalent to hp in the infinity engine games. Can't really see any difference with the information we have now. It's the health bar that has been added.

So basically Stamina in this system is like shields in... Halo/Mass Effect, and hp - are health, right?

No to experimentation!

No, in ME you only take damage when your shields are down, the shields shield the health. In the other system it doens't matter what your stamina value actually is, for the health stat it is like there is no stamina(and vice versa).

see

Edited by butterfly

Stamina is not shield resource, it don't protect you health in anyway.

Stamina is fast consumable combat resource which lose will weaken character combat performance right up nothing (character is unconscious), but character can aslo get stamina poinst back fast via abilities, spells and items.

Health is slowly consumable combat resource which lose will lead character's dead/maiming depending on difficulty level. Character can gain his/her/it health back only by resting.