If I had to craft a new class, that would be... Writer!

Hello people.

I heard the news about paladins and bards. It made me wonder, if Obs was willing to add a final class, what would it be? Obviously, we got people at the magical spectrum, with wizards, bards, druids or ciphers. Then, there are physical classes too: paladins, warriors, barbarians, etc. But the sneaky class, rogue, is awfully alone.

Then, I thought about this idea: Writers. You see, I dig Pacifist runs. Whenever the game has been developed with this end in mind, I do it. Sadly, only Planescape, Alpha Protocol and the Deus Ex trilogy really gave me this possibility. I know about games like Thief but I wasn't in this kind of games when it was published and now, it's too old for me. I don't have the time anymore.

Anyway. A writer sounded like something amazing, as a new class and for new ways of playing. Something akin to the bard, but with more possibilities in dialogues, reputations and politics. He could shape the news as he see fit, manipulate the factions as he wants, publish articles, be versed in all ways of talking and manipulating, scan minions, find philanthropists to fund his adventure ala Albert Londres/Jack London, etc. Of course, he would be a terrible warrior, but hey, that's not the point. If a writer class would become a reality, it would be the way to present how alive the world is. Its epicenter.

Besides, with what the game is going to be, with his development revolving around its writing, a writer class would bring a face to the developers' ideas and values.

Maybe that's a terrible idea, but it's nice to think about it. After, all, Most Writers Are Writers, and a Writer Class would be incredibly developed and close to reality.

I just don't see writers as genuinely sneaky. Imagine him trying to make his way through a castle only for a pair of gnolls to spot him as he drunkenly stumbles by with a glass of cheap wine. As they raise their weapons, he gets upset and verbally abusive at them for breaking script. The entire place can hear the yelling!

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

"Leave me alone Demon Lord, or by all that is mighty and proud I shall write a scathing review of your dungeon and slander your name in a manuscript that some may dub pure character assassination!"

Edited by Umberlin
  • Like 1

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"

"Leave me alone Demon Lord, or by all that is mighty and proud I shall write a scathing review of your dungeon and slander your name in a manuscript that some may dub pure character assassination!"

Slander is a 3rd level spell - something for the adept Writer to wield. But to face a Demon Lord, thou shall need to be a true Archwriter, capable of Epic spells such as: Ambiguous Writting and Dubious Punctuation to properly fool the evil spirit into a unfavorable contract.

• 4 weeks later...

Other scripts that come to mind:

• We can't not have Double Negatives
  • Oxymorons are worthlessly useful
  • Similies are like trivial spells
  • Metaphors are your shield
  • Alliteration Announcements are awesome
  • Onamonapias that really pop

And let's not forget word play in general.

If there's a quill, there's a way!

Edited by jivex5k