"Innovative" gameplay?

In my opinion, the people on these forums just don't get it...

I've read a lot of "suggestions". Most of them are just horrible ideas.

No, I don't want a food indicator. I'm pretty sure my party's smart enough to eat when they're hungry.

No, I don't care about a half-assed crafting system where a ****load of components create generic magical items. I've done my fair share of smithing in Skyrim, and I'm still trying to create a talking sword. I want items like Lilarcor, even if that means a static and scripted crafting system.

No, I don't want mana-based magic. If you really want to be innovative, maybe try something else than a generic magic system.

No, I don't need an inflating economy. There are economy games for that.

No, I don't need an "intelligent" inventory system. I'll go play tetris if I want that.

The whole point of this project is to return to PROVEN gameplay. If you want to be innovative, be innovative in story, setting and dialog.

So here's a message to the developers: You started a kickstarter so publishers wouldn't tell you what to do. Don't let the community take over that role. With so many - often opposing - suggestions, you can't please everyone anyway. So just make the game you would want to play yourself. That worked for the IE games.

Actually I think their pitch had more to do with three simple things: Compelling characters, tactical party based combat, and a 3rd person axonometric POV of the game world. In the spirit of the old IE games. That doesn't preclude innovation or changing things up that didn't work particularly well in those old games.

Actually one of the earliest RPG computer games had food mechanics in it (which is why I hate it so much...wish I could remember the game but its lost in the haze of Apple IIe / Commodore 64 era gaming). So for some people this isn't a case of innovation but a "return to PROVEN gameplay".

I'd imagine there are earlier games that actually have mana systems or crafting or a number of other things that we don't typically associate with the IE games.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man