I actually don't want to see the 2.6m goal's content

but it's clearly aimed at a particular group, (codexians), to try and get a higher backer value from that section of fans.

Also possible that most of those backers left anyway when spell cooldowns were confirmed. :)

codexians :yucky:

For the love of Douglas Adams... :thumbsup:

YOU

TAKE

THAT

BACK!!!! :verymad:

If my experiences with codexians on this forum is any indication of what that term is meant to entail -

I (fake) demand an apology! :fdevil:

really, though, i have no problem with cool downs, don't love 'em, don't hate 'em... never posted on RPGCodex, barely even knew of the site until i started posting here and apparently upset some members from there...

It doesn't seem to be Stretch Goal that lit a fire under the number of backers - but hey, it ain't over yet.

While I'll never use it, I thought it was a pretty elegant solution for the people that did want to use it. Whether it generates a stack of extra funding - who knows?

Seriously, though - it got added because one of the devs asked those of us making threads about it to continue clamoring for it if we wanted it, said dev giving the Adventurer's Hall example.

Clearly enough people clamored - it got added as a stretch goal. :banana:

Edited by Merin

They went completely around the stretch goals and did something 'grand' and I applaud them for that. I think they made like 40k in almost one day when they added in the new tier which included wasteland 2 and the expansion pack. Thank you Obsidian for that one and I for one can't wait. This project still has the potential to hit 2.7 million. I'm hoping to see a 2.7 million stretch goal that is just pure amazing, but at the same time, just in case we don't get that far it would be pretty disappointing to see what we missed out on. I only wish I had more money to actually be able to put a few thousand dollars into this game, but living in the poverty bracket of society and with the economy the way it is now, I'm just fortunate enough to be able to pledge what little I can.

That being said, I kind of wish Grim Dawn was part of the deal too :p, so many kickstarter rpgs, that it really gets you excited waiting for the next one. I think one of the best things about kickstarter is that the projects will receive more cash flow than normal. By the time this is released and the pirates get a hold of it, pretty much everyone that wanted it will already have it. I'm hoping this can become a new standard for making great rpgs, but we'll have to wait and see how these games all pan out in the end.

-Completely off topic, but oh well-

Edited by Loranc

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.

So I'll admit I'm kind of sympathetic to the op's viewpoint. I posted something similar on the thread for rewards/stretch goal suggestions.

However I'm fine with custom parties.

I just think they should be handled by character generation/management ui outside of the actual game, rather than having some sort of convoluted in game system where you hire mercenaries, reason being that you could then have UI to manage the various characters you create and it'd take less developer time than building a whole in game map and set of interaction. Plus I have this sneaking suspicion that if the "adventurer's hall" or whatever it's called doesn't let someone create a party member from the ground up, the custom party of custom characters folk will be a bit disappointed. And if the in-game system lets you roll characters, I feel like it kind of messes with the suspension of disbelief.

In fact, rather than an adventurer's hall, I'd like to see a character management UI where you can compare the various characters you've made and decide whether to queue them to be in your party.

Now I'm sympathetic to the narrative and balancing requiring that they not be in the party at the start, so I can see why they'd go for the adventurer's hall.

In fact if turns out to be a glorified inn that characters you create before starting the game hang out in so that you can pick them up after the solo intro, I think that'd be fine. I just don't really get why it'd be stretch goal.

I'm not at all concerned about the custom characters somehow taking away from 'real' NPC party member dev time.

Lastly, I'm a bit sympathetic to the issue of rogues, or more particularly, thieves, in top down isometric-ish RPGs. Don't get me wrong, I like thieves and rogues and I've enjoyed games like Thief, and in original Deus Ex I often went for the stealth. But in every IE game I've played, they've been the afterthought -- mostly too weak to be helpful (maybe okay with a bow), and forgotten about except for picking locks, as it was often much easier to just run summoned creatures or a tankish fighter out in front to trigger the traps instead the tedious and slow crawl and disarm. However this isn't to say rogues had no place... I played through BG2 with a bard, and I tried making a half-orc swashbuckler once, with mixed success. Everything about a thief screams solo play, and their trap abilities are very defensive, which also doesn't help in an offense-oriented party-based game.

So yeah, I'm on board with the rogue thing if they can get away from the stuff that doesn't work and come up with something that does. (And I'm not saying get rid of traps.)

• Like 1

Oh and I am from the codex. 8 years.

I hope the tongue-in-cheek part of my post comes across exactly as intended...

as mocking attacks on RPGCodex.

humor is hard enough - humor in a forum post, forget about it

Oh yes. I've heard it all. And I know you are joking. ;) We have a bad reputation to the general public, but in our heart all we want are GOOD role-playing games. Period. We have been waiting since 2003. I personally feel Obsidian can deliver this for the most part with PE. <3 But I do not speak for the entire codex.

Oh yes. I've heard it all. And I know you are joking. ;) We have a bad reputation to the general public, but in our heart all we want are GOOD role-playing games. Period.

Hmmm. All the Codex want are RPGs that fit their straight-jacketed perception of what constitutes an old-school RPG.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Oh yes. I've heard it all. And I know you are joking. ;) We have a bad reputation to the general public, but in our heart all we want are GOOD role-playing games. Period.

Hmmm. All the Codex want are RPGs that fit their straight-jacketed perception of what constitutes an old-school RPG.

Fallout - Planescape: Torment and Arcanum are (in your words) straight-jacketed perception of what constitutes an old-school RPG.?

Oh OK.

I'm sure some of you are die hard fans of the full party creation stuff but I simply don't want to see it make it to the game.

Why?

*First off I was hoping we will see as strange companions as PS:T but now the party is modifiable so we probably won't see something like Morte, since if he can be left out, there's no point adding items as Teeth to loot tables.

*I'm more into the story rather than the hack'n slash factor of cRPGs so I'd like to get my companions as involved as I can.

*Leaving out companions has no meaning for me but thinking of the fact that the possibility of creating a stronger party always stands there, disturbs me.

*Player housing where my companions rest will lose it's meaning if there will also be some randomized characters there.

*My PC will lose its uniqueness if I can have 6 PCs. E.g. which of my PCs will have romantic relationships with NPCs?

I don't know but maybe altering companion classes without changing their looks/characters would be possible?

I can see where you're coming from, I too prefer developer-made companions than making them myself, mostly due to the depth the characters have when they're made by the developer, but I have faith that Obsidian will still put the same amount of time and effort into the companions they're creating, even if the Adventurer's Hall stretch goal is reached and that feature is added.

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I remember Never winter knight's II second expansion. After playing the original game and the first expansion I couldn't even get into the second one when I realized that it was all party created, I found it extremely boring. However, Icewind Dale on the other hand I found to be extremely fun, so it's a give and take. I think what most people are failing to realize is that there is no give and take here.

Adding the Players Hall will in no way detract from the companion npcs that will already be added into the game. Thinking about it now, it will be a nice thing for community modders to have, as it will make creating npcs relatively easier. Like I said previously I just don't like where it is on the stretch goal list :p that's my only complaint with it. I would have preferred it been lower but that doesn't really matter. Basically you're going to get the same game with or without the player's hall, the only difference being that people who want the player's hall will be able to use it if it gets added to the game. But I will advise very strongly that everyone anticipate on this having a late release date, with all the money and extra content being poured into it, I certainly wouldn't expect it to release on time. Which is fine with me, there's some 'potentially' amazing games coming out here soon that I need to play. Not to mention the baldur's gate enhanced edition is expected at the end of November.

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian Current PayPal status: $140,000. 2,200 backers

"Hmm so last Paypal information was 140,000 putting us at 4,126,929. We did well over and beyond 4 million, and still have an old backer number from Paypal. 76,186 backers. It's very possible that we have over 75,000 backers if I had new Paypal information. Which means we may have 15 Mega dungeon levels, and we already are going to have an amazing game + cats (I swear I will go stir crazy if Adam doesn't own up to the cats thing :p)."

Switching to Paypal means that more of your money will go towards Project Eternity. (The more you know.)

Paypal charges .30 cents per transaction and 2.2% for anything over 100,000 per month for U.S currency. Other currency is different, ranging from anywhere between 2.2-4.9%.

Kick Starter is a fixed 5% charge at the end.