Man I hope the companions have more independent thought than the other games

I remember one time (for another game) suggesting a mod in which an NPC would actually react to things you did, and also make some decisions for himself (not for the player) if he didn't agree. Then came the "That's an awful idea! We don't want NPCs making decisions!" So, yeah, I guess there are some people who want NPCs to be animated puppets that do whatever you want whether they agree with it or not. I, for one, think it's great to have them actually act (or refuse) based on their beliefs, even to the point of departing permanently, staying out of a battle, or other things.

I think that's more of a story thing, though, than a combat morale system thing. Like in DA:O, you could end up fighting your companions depending on the decisions you made. I'm all for that kind of thing happening in P:E.

Regardless, I love Total War games, but I'm not sure having a morale system would be in keeping with the tone of the IE games that inspired it. You and your companions were typically supposed to be pretty badass in those, and I imagine they intend for P:E to be much the same. It would be weird if half of your crew of world-shaking heroes decided to run away from the evil arch-lich they were fighting.

It's not weird man, you live to fight another day, better to retreat and resuply or maybe get stronger, so then later you can have an opportunity to try again with the odds more in your favor...

It's not weird man, you live to fight another day, better to retreat and resuply or maybe get stronger, so then later you can have an opportunity to try again with the odds more in your favor...

Well, except it's not a strategic decision in that case, it's panic. That is weird. Choosing to run away from a fight is something entirely different than a failed morale check.

Some of the AI on caster types in past RPGs . . . not just Obsidian, Troika and Black Isle games, but pretty much every one that had to deal with them . . . had okay AI for some class types (fighters and such) but terrible AI for casters (Wizards and the like). The problem was that many had no idea what spells to use, when to use them or even why. On one hand, I didn't mind because I tended to micromanage them anyways . . . but on the other hand I micromanaged them because they would not cast properly left to their own devices. No sense of priority on spells or the targets they used them on when/where/why.

It's to be expected I suppose.

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"

I never quite mentioned running from battle (though I wouldn't mind morale dropping when health gets really low, like in BG1), but was speaking more in general. Your choices in dialogue, etc., should have an effect on companions and they should be able to react to that instead of following no matter what you do.

I trust Obsidian. But we need a reactive party. It would be so cool if a rogue you haven't been taking care off said "I see where this is going..." and ran away when you told him to suicide-ambush the Dragon Lord of Terror.

Or how people would strip Khalid in BG and send him to fight alone so he'd die and they could have Jaheria without being forced to have him.

I wasn't the only one who did that? :sorcerer:

From what I gather a lot of people did! :yes:

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I don't think companions will be doing anything independent during combat unless they get charmed (if there's charm).

DIRE CHARM!

o sheet.

Outside of combat, who knows. The last Obsidian game I played was Neverwinter Nights 2 vanilla so other people probably have more of a better idea than me.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

Actually, I think it sounds interesting with a morale system.

Be a good leader and keep your companions happy = they perform better in battle and will eventually stand by you no matter the odds.

Be a bad leader and they'll think "F**k that jerk, I'm not dying for him!" at the first sign of a battle going the wrong way.

Optionally, it could be part of Expert mode.

• Like 1

Am I the only one that loved it when Minsk went insane and tried to kill the PC due to low reputation? Sure it hobbled my party, but it's a consequence. Consequences are things we like to see in RPGs.

Edited by Bos_hybrid
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Am I the only one that loved it when Minsk went insane and tried to kill the PC due to low reputation? Sure it hobbled my party, but it's a consequence. Consequences are things we like to see in RPGs.

I like reputations affecting your party members, but I didn't like that BG gave you an "out" for High/Low reputation by allowing you to game its system (donate to a church to raise rep, whack a villager to lower). Yes if you're RPing properly you wouldn't do it, but IMO it was a gameplay design that encouraged players to think about how the system worked, not about what their actions really were (well that and the fact that I think they assigned "goodness" to far too many actions).

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I think I do not mind my companions leaving via scripted events, including dying from such scripted events. But I am not sure of a morale system. I mean how are you going to get your companions to rejoin your party after they flee? When they are holding or wearing some of your best treasures? And the player (me) chose my companions. I will naturally want them to be loyal and stick by me battle after battle, get my back even in the tough, outnumbered battles. Will I deliberately insult them; anger them to the point of them wanting to leave? No. If I had wanted them to leave, I would have simply asked them to wait for me at the next town.

I just want the Avellone created companions to make snide comments about how bland and/or boring other NPCs are from the Adventurer's Hall. if you have one in your party.

And maybe attack those companions and see them not reacting, because they are mindless drones.