Has anyone played Guild Wars 2? It's more of an mmo idea, but I was thinking it would work great for immersion purposes.

In GW2 they have dynamic events where you don't need a quest, you just walk by and participate in an event happening in the world. I'm not saying get rid of classic talk to NPCs and get a quest, but add this as well. For example, you could be walking along and realize a small village (one not important to the main storyline) is getting attacked by a horde of skeletons. You can help fight them off or not. If you don't, the village is destroyed and after a certain amount of game time, the village is rebuilt.

Edited by firek
  • Like 1

Harr, this is great. The argument for this not happening is budget and time limitations though.

I am sure many of us, if not all of us, wants this or would like to see it happen. But it is a dream, and there it might (probably will) stay for a while.

We'll see what happens :D it is an amazing thought and idea.

Stretch-Goal: Dynamic Events *thumbs up*

• Like 1

I love Guild Wars II, I loved the original also.

Not sure how dynamic events could translate to a single player isometric game. Not being an open persistent world it does not need repeating event cycles that are affected by levels of completion/participation.

Project Eternity will obviously have an ending so quest repetition does not seem paramount, but you are right in the regards that decent cause and effect from quest chains would be a nice addition.

That is an MMO feature to help make a static, shared world seem alive and changing when it really isn't, and to provide distraction to a stream of different users. I don't think I'd like that sort of thing to be a part of a single player narrative, nor do I see what purpose it would serve. If a village is attacked, I want it to be tied to a storyline rather than just a randomly generated event, and if a village is destroyed I definitely want it to stay that way. Settlements shouldn't have respawn timers.

Edited by Sarog

Not to mention that such events should be kind of timed, like Redcliffe Village in DA:O. If you went to other locations and did the main quest, Redcliffe would become lost and inaccessible (if I remember correctly).

And that would kind of suck. I hate to get cut out of content because I didn't play the game in a particular order.

A; Dynamic Events = Replay-ability

Game wouldn't be the same, it would be different each time (unless you play it exactly like you did the first time over and over again). One playthrough you manage to save the town, another you fail hard.

B; Variety; Your story

It wouldn't be the same generic story, the dynamic events would be woven into your own personal Quest Arc/Story which in turns out into the Story of your character. This would be different for every player.

I would really love too see this implemented (time & money permitting of course) in a manner similar to the first Diablo. Every time you start a new game it determines which of the random events you would see in your playthrough. I think they had a total pool of 5 or 6 for each area (cathedral, catacombs, caves, hell), 2 or 3 of which you get to experience for any particular playthrough.

Dynamic events are great in concept. I think they would play out very well in a single-player experience. I recently had a sub-par experience with "dynamic" events with Guild Wars 2. These events had no impact, as they needed to be redone again, and again, and again, due to the online nature of it. But here, in an entirely controlled environment, sure. I think they would be stellar. There needs to be lasting and obvious impact of the events. This will make the world feel vibrant and lived in, and that the player's choices really matter.

"The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny, chaos will be sown by their passage," so sayeth the wise Alaundo.

768543sarevokred1.jpg

I just feel it would be much more immersive rather than a NPC saying "There's something happening over there, go help." A dynamic event would feel more natural.

Okay, no respawn times and as far as the feeling you have to do things in order, these events don't have to be critical to the main storyline.

There could have minor effects or consequences, maybe. The benefit could even be not doing the event, causing the player to make decisions.

Just throwing out ideas, I think this would be a great concept to explore with single player games.

There is already going to be some sort of dynamic events system incorporated in the game, as the dev team has mentioned the player will experience random encounters when fast traveling.

Hopefully they will be designed in a way that reacts to previous player choices, so for example if your reputation is very low with a particular faction perhaps they will send someone after you, etc.

Incorporating dynamic events into quests would be great if possible. Certainly it can greatly add to the replay value if smaller quests might use aliases for the quest objective, so for example, it might send you to some random dungeon you haven't explored yet, instead of the same dungeon every time you play.