Those beatiful small things in old RPGs

I still remember those funny details when I played those great RPGs 10 years ago.

In BG1, we can use the magic "charm person" to talk with some enemy. The fat lady in spider cave told me her romance after be charmed. It's really funny. After that I almost charmed every human enemies I met and hoped to get some quests or stuffs from them.

In BG series, there are also many interesting magic such as Flesh to Stone, Tenser's Transformation,Imprisonment,Time stop,Limited wish...they really make the battle different ,and even make the game different.

I fallout2, the funny things was much more.Idiot model,Steal enemy's weapon before battle,shoot enemy's eye and hear their cry, push the bloke in the toilet,the sleeping pill from Myron,the ear be bited, funny perks as Blood Mess,Jinxed,Sex Appeal...too many.

In PS:T, it seems there weren't so many details, but also we have some speacial stuffs as magic mirror,power tattoo, Grace's diary....

Could you remember more funny things in those old games?Would you want to see similar things in Project Eternity?

• Like 4

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

Yeah, those little touches really make a game more memorable. They also let you do odd things like this one time in Fallout 2 where I tried to do a playthrough in which I would become as ugly and disfigured as possible. I managed to grow an extra toe, have an ear bitten off, and get metal skeletal implants that made me all scarred and bulgy. That was pretty fun.

Being able to do that sort of thing wouldn't be a priority for me, but I think little touches like that do add a lot to a game's charm. Hopefully P:E will have at least a few things along the lines of what OP mentions.

Rumar! RUMAR!

d-d-darling?

:lol:

They did some good VO for that little skit too.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Yes, those small touches are a must have. I'd also like long descriptions for items, enviroments and people. Also, a GLOSSARY like the one in the Witcher, with gathered knowledge of things and events you come across. Might be a good idea to throw in some hints on how to tackle situations in it. Intelligence gathering is always fun - look at Obsidian's Alpha Protocol for example, I'd always go with gathering as much information as I could.

BG1: Being a Munchkin, I'd always head for the tiny hole under a tree outside of the Friendly Arm Inn and get the free Ring of Wizardry.

Today I still confused about the design of vampire sword in BG1. It's so hard to get and so poor in battle.

I feel The Witcher is the best for this. It's full of those bigger, smaller and little details that make the world more real and alive. NPCs in towns and villages have their own schedules. They work during the day and sleep at night. Merchants, clerks or even hospital nurses wake up in the morning, eat breakfast and literally walk to their workplace. As it's getting dark a lamplighter appears to light the street lights, and if they haven't yet. those merchants and clerks go back to wherever they live to rest before another day. When it starts raining, people seek shelter and complain about bad weather. There is even this one old lady that giggles, saying that the rain will ruin her neighbours laundry. Your friends will sometimes want to go out with you or invite you to a party and your foes are just humans (unless they aren't) and will make mistakes that allow you to see through their shenanigans. This game has one of the most believable fantasy world's I had the pleasure to "visit".

• Like 1

I feel The Witcher is the best for this. It's full of those bigger, smaller and little details that make the world more real and alive. NPCs in towns and villages have their own schedules. They work during the day and sleep at night. Merchants, clerks or even hospital nurses wake up in the morning, eat breakfast and literally walk to their workplace. As it's getting dark a lamplighter appears to light the street lights, and if they haven't yet. those merchants and clerks go back to wherever they live to rest before another day. When it starts raining, people seek shelter and complain about bad weather. There is even this one old lady that giggles, saying that the rain will ruin her neighbours laundry. Your friends will sometimes want to go out with you or invite you to a party and your foes are just humans (unless they aren't) and will make mistakes that allow you to see through their shenanigans. This game has one of the most believable fantasy world's I had the pleasure to "visit".

I didn't played The Witcher, but it sound like Elder Scroll. Yes, that is another kind of details design---realistic environment. But this kind of design usually depands on the game engine and will need much higher bugdet. I'm not sure we can see such environment in Eternity.

Yeah, those little touches really make a game more memorable. They also let you do odd things like this one time in Fallout 2 where I tried to do a playthrough in which I would become as ugly and disfigured as possible. I managed to grow an extra toe, have an ear bitten off, and get metal skeletal implants that made me all scarred and bulgy. That was pretty fun.

Being able to do that sort of thing wouldn't be a priority for me, but I think little touches like that do add a lot to a game's charm. Hopefully P:E will have at least a few things along the lines of what OP mentions.

Yes it's pretty fun.I think there should be a ugly model design such as idiot model. :biggrin:

PS:T have really great story line and dialog tree to become a legend RPG. The detail design is not priority for it.

But the story line and companions design in fallout wasn't the best. Which made it great just is those funny detail design, those brilliant fragments.

So, Could we expect that Eternity will have both advantages of PS:T and Fallout?

Edited by bronzepoem

Rumar! RUMAR!

d-d-darling?

Am I the only one who interfeered in that fight?

I let it flow without my intervention the first time.

The second time I kept healing the wife.

All the other times I kept healing the other girl.

and now that I think about it, I should have tried polymorph, flesh to stone or charm on them...

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

I didn't played The Witcher, but it sound like Elder Scroll. Yes, that is another kind of details design---realistic environment. But this kind of design usually depands on the game engine and will need much higher bugdet. I'm not sure we can see such environment in Eternity.

It's nothing like Elder Scrolls. It's not a sandbox and it has a rich, complex story, that makes you choose between shades of grey and lets feel the consequences, be it good or painfull.

Oh, these are just mechanics, that need to be implemented. Nothing too fancy, I would guess, but need a bit of work and testing. I don't think a few little details here and there would strain the budget too much.

Edited by norolim

As for PS:T, my favourite moment in any game is when I went to the Sensates and had a discussion about death with Death's Advocate and proved my point by killing myself and then getting up again. Probably couldn't have worked in any other game, but made perfect sense there.

So many little details that it's hard to find a starting and an ending point. Among the small things that makes me laugh are the three kids in Icewind Dale that sits around a squirrel and talks about poking it with a stick or in Kotor2 on Onderon where the queen would have given you a larger reward except somebody looted the museum (if you, the player plundered the treasures there).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

You never see dental problems in these games, or at least I haven't. It might be entertaining (in a dark sort of way) for somebody to have bad teeth that needs frequent attention. Maybe a dwarf who likes to bite off more than he can chew? As the game progresses his grin grows ever uglier. :devil:

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."