I'm almost afraid to ask but...climbing?

Before anyone sets the dogs on me I would like to preemptively say 1 thing:

I remember the Z-axis "discussions" on the Bioware forums before the release of DR:O. And I still shudder.

The fact is that Obsidian have nailed it, this game has got everything I'll want and stuff I haven't thought of yet. So when I say I have always wanted to climb up the back of a castle like a ninja in Shogun 2, I assure you that I am not trolling, but am just tech-less and wondering if the Unity engine can handle it?.

I hate to think that this is where the rules lawyers start shouting for blood. "Do you realize what imbalances this will cause!". Nope. Because I just want to be a Ninja.

I would like climbing too. No doubt there's plenty of reasons why it won't work and why it should not be done even if it could be but it still would be cool, along with ingame horses you can use in combat.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I'd quite like a climbing skill.

I really don't care about actually seeing the animation of my character climbing up something (like you would in a 3D game). Just having a character who can access places other characters can't would be nice.

Edited by Piccolo

Climbing as a skill? Would seem silly.

Climbing as a possible route to circumvent combat\reach special areas via an "athletics" skill or dex/agi check? Would greatly enhance my experience.

Unity can handle it; but they'll have to do some clever things geometrically with their pre-rendered backgrounds for it to not look like the character is just progressing in a crouch across flat ground-- which I think Obsidian can def figure out.

Good topic, should be included, hope Sawyer reads this.

CORSAIR, n. A politician of the seas. ~The Devil's Dictionary

An isometric game with climbing that worked well was Desperados: Wanted Dead or Alive, it did add some great tactical elements. The addition of climbing or even multiple levels is not bad, archers taking higher ground, sneaking in top floor windows and so on.

But I still do not see it happening.

I like climbing. Didn't Daggerfall have it? I don't think that was 3D. Maybe 2.5D though. I also thought flying was kind of cool in Ultima Underworld.

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

I'd like Climbing as a skill to be used during certain quests or at specific hot-spots. Maybe your Rogue can use the Thieves' Highway in a city or you can climb upon a rock to see what enemies lie up ahead, or to roll a boulder on them if you are strong enough. I am not talking about physics objects here. I am talking about hotspots you can click and then you get a dialogue-like text-adventure interface, sort of like interacting with objects in PS:T.

It would be pretty disappointing for me if they didn't include multiple height-levels, being isometric isn't an excuse, giving players more options should be top-priority, and this seems to be a great way to do it, it shouldn't be that hard either, even black-screen transitions like in New Vegas would be ok for me.