I am enjoying our light-hearted war of the factions of Romance (WotFoR) which reminds me of the Earthtone Alliance / Bright wars in Reamde (if you haven't read it, please do).

We should have a competition amongst ourselves to settle this issue.

The Forces of Romance (TFoR) should write a romance in their own thread. The Manly Forces of Reason (TMFoR) should write one too.

And the winner takes all ::slaps romance junkies with glove and laughs::

sonsofgygax.JPG

And for these girly-men there is Bioware, where their needs are more than amply catered for.

"No I don't have feelings 'cause feelings are gay." -MC Vagina

Your post made me go WTF, then I noticed you were from California. So I put on some whale-music and this post suddenly made more sense.

Can't tell if acting like a ignorant fool or just trolling.

In any case, excuse me for assuming research in modern psychology and neuroscience conducted under the scientific method is more valid than whatever anecdotal experience you have.

LOL. You just mentioned modern psychology and stuff and CRPG romances in the same thread. Nice one, Doc. Lighten up.

sonsofgygax.JPG

LOL. You just mentioned modern psychology and stuff and CRPG romances in the same thread. Nice one, Doc. Lighten up.

You'll find I can tie lots of things together- representing a romance does necessitate some degree of understanding of interpersonal relationship mechanics. For example, two things I could tie together are your condescension and blanket assumptions about other people who live thousands of miles away from you based upon unfounded demographic stereotypes.

• Like 2

You'll find I can tie lots of things together- representing a romance does necessitate some degree of understanding of interpersonal relationship mechanics. For example, two things I could tie together are your condescension and blanket assumptions about other people who live thousands of miles away from you based upon unfounded demographic stereotypes.

Come, come. This is starting to be more about 'getting a reaction' than 'getting a discussion', let's not take the bait.

It's the easily baited fish that ends up in the frying pan!

Sword Sharpener of the Obsidian Order

(will also handle pitchforks and other sharp things)

I've also figured out, using the power of my mind, that you have come across as both humourless and pompous.

Look, we have got off on the wrong foot. I am having a laugh. In my country we call it banter, our version of trading quasi-ironic "yo mama" jokes. And the way the rules work in this game, the more you bite the happier I am. It's not trolling, but please try to apply your scientific method to the concept.

As for scientists, wasn't climate change peer-reviewed and taken as a given. And what a load of horse**** that turned out to be. :D

sonsofgygax.JPG

I've also figured out, using the power of my mind, that you have come across as both humourless and pompous.

Look, we have got off on the wrong foot. I am having a laugh. In my country we call it banter, our version of trading quasi-ironic "yo mama" jokes. And the way the rules work in this game, the more you bite the happier I am. It's not trolling, but please try to apply your scientific method to the concept.

As for scientists, wasn't climate change peer-reviewed and taken as a given. And what a load of horse**** that turned out to be. :D

Romances are serious business.

Let's see how long you keep laughing at scientists when we finally figure out how to make an army of clone zombies and come for your football teams!

Fair enough. There are enough trolling and or stupid people on the internet to give me reason to suspect that your remarks were an attempt to empower yourself, but its cool. We'll play it like civilized internet humorists (adjusts monocle). Of course, aside from acting like a egotistic/pretentious bastard, I do have a fairly dry, humorless personality.

And indeed (ritzy, stuck-up voice) we in this country also make usage of the English language. Quite exquisite, mmm, yes? This term you use, "banter", I have read of it in my studies, and yet, never once in the United States of America has that word come to my attention. I would much like to indulge in understanding the differences in dialect between British and American English.

Edited by themanclaw

Yeah, Rugby is the "real" mans sport.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The key to understanding the romance crowd.

http://social.biowar...ndex/14235800/1

Here's a sane person who doesn't like how romances have become the center of Bioware's games in recent years.

I've been away from these boards for a few years, and I can hardly believe my eyes now that I'm back. It seems at least a third of all game threads are in some way related to the romance options in the game. I can't believe that this is what RPGs have come to focus on.

Remember BG2? That was done in a good way, the romance was there as something in the background; adding a little bit to the story of the Bhaalspawn, if you will. But the way it was done in DA2 and the way it is focused on in "Things you want for Dragon Age 3"-threads is staggering.

Please, focus on the core gameplay mechanics and create a good RPG instead of spending a lot of resources on what in my opinion should just be secondary content.

I have a feeling that a lot of you may disagree with me, but it just feels like there are many other areas where resources would be better spent.

Here are their responses to him.

it's BSN. Didn't you know the only thing people care about is who they can ****?
I still want my Cullypie.heart.png
No thank you, romances are part of why I got hooked to DA
People want romances because Bioware is good at doing romances.
what happend op did you're LI dump you for a phew gigga bites?
op Looks like you would be happier playing a game like Skyrim. something i wont waste time or money on because of the shoddy way they handled romances.
I want more romance! >:D
Romances are in all RPGs.Get this dude off of this site.
I hope one of the "changes" will be to allow us to kiss and hug our LI's at appropriate times *throughout* the game, not just a one time thing and then no more affection at all.

Yeah these people aren't the least bit crazy.

@ themanclaw

Thanks for attempting to bring some science and facts to this debate its appreciated even if its misunderstood by some of the Romance haters. You should have seen some of the anachronisms and generalizations towards this topic on other threads that wanted an element of romances, they included

• People that want Romance\Sex are sexual deviants
  • People that want Romance\Sex are socially inadequate in real life
  • If people want some kind of gay relationship we should include the option to have a some kind of pedophile relationship, after all whats the difference?( this one annoyed me the most)

Also there was a massive poll and thread that was eventually locked around this and 70 % of the people wanted a relationship so people against it are just vociferous but in the minority

Finally Monte Carlo isn't actually that bad and he jokes a lot , you will encounter people during this debate that are truly uninformed and obnoxious :)

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Bantering : come on, haven't we all had that RPG conversation where one character insults another character and he/she replies back wittily, with great sarcasm and/or another insult? Didn't we all think it was cute and funny? And didn't we have that conversation where one character teastes the other who is not amused, and we think it's cute and funny?

Yes, it's basically that.

It's hard to do if the subject being bantered about is very important to Person B, but it gets obvious as of the 'slaps with gloves' comment that it's all a joke.

Isn't that why you're trying to psychoanalyze people? To empower yourself?

Damn right. It's pretty awesome. You should try learning about the subject to psychoanalyze people; it gives you a nice, smug sense of superiority.

Finally Monte Carlo isn't actually that bad and he jokes a lot , you will encounter people during this debate that are truly uninformed and obnoxious :)

Yeah, he cleared that up for me. My tasteless American mindset could not comprehend it as it was presented :p

Gorth please insult me and show the Americans what I mean by banter.

Paralytic sycophants, effete betrayers of humanity, carrion-eating servile imitators, arch-cowards and collaborators, gang of women-murderers, degenerate rabble, parasitic traditionalists, playboy soldiers, conceited dandies.

East German Communist Party's approved terms of abuse in 1953 for East German speakers when describing Britain

Shamelessly stolen from a website with a collection of insults targeting England and Poms :p

Yes, I realise this is getting slightly off topic, but I suppose some things are better talked through than left to fester. No, I'm not a psychologist.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Yes, I realise this is getting slightly off topic, but I suppose some things are better talked through than left to fester. No, I'm not a psychologist.

Modern treatment of PTSD has come to the assumption that allowing a person to internalize the event until they are ready to talk about it is better than trying to make them talk about it.

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

I'm surrounded by shrinks =]

Damn right. It's pretty awesome. You should try learning about the subject to psychoanalyze people; it gives you a nice, smug sense of superiority.

Sounds pretty douchey to me. Not interested.

That's half the fun ;)

Alright... maybe I should attempt to say something topical.

Me, personally, I will roll my eyes whenever there is a romance in a movie or video game where the characters have minimal/superficial interation in an artificial-feeling context and then spontaneously confess their "boudnless" love for each other, kiss, and as soon as they do that, they will immediately have sex on the spot. Good narrative needs proper building of relationships, romantic or otherwise

Edited by themanclaw

Gorth please insult me and show the Americans what I mean by banter.

Paralytic sycophants, effete betrayers of humanity, carrion-eating servile imitators, arch-cowards and collaborators, gang of women-murderers, degenerate rabble, parasitic traditionalists, playboy soldiers, conceited dandies.

East German Communist Party's approved terms of abuse in 1953 for East German speakers when describing Britain

Shamelessly stolen from a website with a collection of insults targeting England and Poms :p

Yes please don't lock this thread, these topics need to be discussed. And we all know that another one will just get started again.

Sounds pretty douchey to me. Not interested.

" sounds pretty douchey", thats rich coming from you Grimlorn :)

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

IMO romances have become this weird focal point in BioWare's games and in their community in a way that I hope will never happen to Obsidian. They were "OK" in BG2, as side-plots, with Viconia's easily being the best of the ones my characters experienced, but in pretty much every one of their games after BG2 (with the possible exception of Morrigan in DA:O) they felt forced and juvenile and bordering on weirdly uncomfortable.

Obsidian have shown time and again that they can create stories that are infinitely more intriguing than anything BioWare has created in the past ~10 years without the whole romance schtick, so for me they don't have to be any kind of priority for PE and I'd rather see the resources spent eslewhere. And if Obsidian does decide to include them, I trust them to do it in a more subtle, mature and tasteful way than BW has.

• Like 1

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery