Don't force me to play a jedi

Besides Tri's usual hesteria, I agree with him on the main issues in this thread. i'd love the option to play variant races and classes. Is that too much to ask?

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I still don't get why a character wouldn't want to use the force, assuming he had the potential to. Taking Jedi levels doesn't imply being a member in good standing of the order. Hell, Jolee was a smuggler.

Leia, because she could feel the darkside pushing her towards the same path as her father.

That is just a example, EU is full of former foce users or potencial force users that dont want to use the force despite the fact they could.

There are many reasons why someone does not want to use it, perhaps he feels that he will abuse it and turn into the dark side, perhaps he feels made a mistake as a force user and does not wants to risk it anymore, etc ...

And taking Jedi levels DOES mean being part of the Jedi Order since that is the only way to advance in the Jedi path (with Jedi Levels are a indication), if not a Jedi they can level on one of the Sith prestigue classes or a generic force user class.

drakron.png

i'd love the option to play variant races and classes. Is that too much to ask?

YES!

No, seriously, I'd like the option too, but I don't mind playing a Jedi.

The fact that you have force powers shouldn't limit your character in any way, I mean, look at Jolee. That old guy was living on Kashyyyk and couldn't care less about the Jedi order.

Reading some of the posts above, I can't help but think that a lot of folks here are doomed to be disappointed. KotOR 2, while hopefully improved in some ways, is still going to be More Of The Same. Folks who didn't like KotOR 1 should probably just delete their Obsidian bookmarks right now.

OE only game will not be SWKotOR 2 (if it is), besides I post more on other areas and this forums are way better that others.

drakron.png

OE only game will not be SWKotOR 2 (if it is), besides I post more on other areas and this forums are way better that others.

[conspiracy]

I'll laugh my a** off if Kotor2 is the second game Obsidian is working on, misdirecting all attention from the first one, they've been working on since last summer. B)

[/conspiracy]

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

And taking Jedi levels DOES mean being part of the Jedi Order since that is the only way to advance in the Jedi path (with Jedi Levels are a indication), if not a Jedi they can level on one of the Sith prestigue classes or a generic force user class.

I'll take your word for it, since you know the rules better than I do.; although I don't know how you'd account for Jolee. Well, actually, I do. Presumably it's another rule that Bio found annoying.

How do the generic force user classes work? Would they be doable in the KotOR system? Do they still "feel" like Jedi classes when you play them?

I think you missed my point on how in PS:T dialogue was used to make the IE more interactive. It was just not in talking, it was in other things too. PS:T had the most interactive environment then any of the IE games, but the way it was made interactive was through the dialogue window. For instance, when you went to the sensory crystals or whatever, you were able to percieve sense, through the use of dialogue. The point is you were able to interact physically and emotionally without ever talking to anyone through the use of the dialogue menu, and this is what set PS:T apart from the other IE games.

Definetely. While i can understand someone not liking the overal gameplay of Torment, wheter in itself or when compared to other IE games, this was one of the elements which really elevated it from the others. The ability to have several interaction elements used like this (an interaction possiblity inside an interaction itself) was what made the experience great on that particular level. Unfortunately it wasn't used more often, but what was there rocked the casbah.

I'll take your word for it, since you know the rules better than I do.; although I don't know how you'd account for Jolee. Well, actually, I do. Presumably it's another rule that Bio found annoying.

How do the generic force user classes work? Would they be doable in the KotOR system? Do they still "feel" like Jedi classes when you play them?

The only force user non prestigue class is the Force Adept, they dont get lightsabers (but can use the force to make a unpowered meele weapon to be resistence to then) and some other stuff.

They would work on SWkotOR, except it would be pretty much a force class without lightsabers.

drakron.png

Ever think that they already have a story-line written for your character to be a jedi?

You think they are going to totally re-work the design just so a small fraction of maybe-consumers might be happy?

And I'm sure even if they did give more options, you would still find something to bitch about.

edit: It's like saying this about your beloved ps:T. "don't make me be another incarnation of the nameless one... let me be something else... I don't care if the story revolves around this key kind of character..."

Ever think that they already have a story-line written for your character to be a jedi?

You think they are going to totally re-work the design just so a small fraction of maybe-consumers might be happy?

And I'm sure even if they did give more options, you would still find something to bitch about.

That sums up the situation perfectly.

PS:.T was the Nameless one ... after it a PS:T could not resolve about his imortality because he loses it at PS:T ending.

And its not my beloved game, I dont even like it much.

Besides if PS:T2 was another incarnation of the Nameless one it would not be a progress, one of the biggest issues about SWKotOR (and recently Star Wars games in general) is the Jedi centric nature were we simply cannot play anything but a Jedi.

drakron.png

PS:.T was the Nameless one ... after it a PS:T could not resolve about his imortality because he loses it at PS:T ending.

And its not my beloved game, I dont even like it much.

Besides if PS:T2 was another incarnation of the Nameless one it would not be a progress, one of the biggest issues about SWKotOR (and recently Star Wars games in general) is the Jedi centric nature were we simply cannot play anything but a Jedi.

I wasn't pointhing that post to you, it was to the idiot baby who started the thead and wants to be pampered.

The point is, they already made a story revolving around a jedi, they most likely aren't going to redo the design and storyline.

PS:T was just an example, a bad one at that.

Besides if PS:T2 was another incarnation of the Nameless one it would not be a progress

If PS:T ever has a sequel I wouldn't want to play TNO again. His story is over. But then you'd probably get complaints from people that it isn't a true sequel.

As for Kotor, it is about Jedi. Kotor2 is also about Jedi.

If there's a Kotor3, 4, 5, and 6... expect more Jedi.

And the best way of telling a Jedi story is for you to be one.

All we can hope is that Kotor's success encourages a bit more creativity and willingness to take risks. But at present being a Jedi is incredibly popular. The mega sales only reinforce that. Eventually, people will become bored with Jedi through overkill.

I wasn't pointhing that post to you, it was to the idiot baby who started the thead and wants to be pampered.

The point is, they already made a story revolving around a jedi, they most likely aren't going to redo the design and storyline.

That is a god damn awful story, its a rip-off of the OT and I fully expect we end fighting Reven in the end who also end ups being the main character father.

Besides its possible to make a story around a jedi character and not having us playing a jedi character, Han Solo was very much one of the OT main character and not a Jedi, point is I am sick and tired of yet another jedi game that offers N-O-T-H-I-N-G new, it still the same Jedi Knight game I played years ago ... same s***ty force system, same lightsaber combat, same jedi despiction.

If they want inovation then god damn it make it LIKE Ep. I/II so we can FINALY see how the Jedi were and not another Luke story cloning that been done to the death.

Its better to complain now were something still can be done about it that to complain later were nothing can be done, at least I will have the satisfaction of saying "I told you so".

drakron.png

I fully expect we end fighting Reven in the end who also end ups being the main character father.

Hahahaha!

Actually, I doubt the father part :(

I do think we'll fight Revan though. I hope not but it seems likely.

That is a god damn awful story, its a rip-off of the OT and I fully expect we end fighting Reven in the end who also end ups being the main character father.

Besides its possible to make a story around a jedi character and not having us playing a jedi character, Han Solo was very much one of the OT main character and not a Jedi, point is I am sick and tired of yet another jedi game that offers N-O-T-H-I-N-G new, it still the same Jedi Knight game I played years ago ... same s***ty force system, same lightsaber combat, same jedi despiction.

If they want inovation then god damn it make it LIKE Ep. I/II so we can FINALY see how the Jedi were and not another Luke story cloning that been done to the death.

Its better to complain now were something still can be done about it that to complain later were nothing can be done, at least I will have the satisfaction of saying "I told you so".

You don't understand. They have already been working on this game for some time. They made the game for your character to be a jedi, they aren't going to change the design to let be able to choose not to be a jedi. Sure it might be great, it's not likely to change now, too bad.

And way to keep an open mind with the story, sure it could blow mounds of ass, but we don't know unless we play it.

And yes, you're right, it is possible to make a story around a jedi character and not have the player BE a jedi, the whole point is, obsidian aren't doing that. It's plain and simple.

You really want to make the perfect game for yourself, then I suggest you go literally make one and stop filling forum space with useless bitching.

edit: something still can be done, but let's just think a little. You really think they will change the story? Sounds like your setting yourself up for a failure, and then what? ... morree bitching... sweet mother of....

You don't understand. They have already been working on this game for some time. They made the game for your character to be a jedi, they aren't going to change the design to let be able to choose not to be a jedi. Sure it might be great, it's not likely to change now, too bad.

I dont give a f***, I dont have to buy games because it have the Star Wars logo on it.

Heck we dont even know if this forum is for SWKotOR 2 or not.

And way to keep an open mind with the story, sure it could blow mounds of ass, but we don't know unless we play it.

It reeks of bad fan fiction, looks like that crap I was subjected on BioWare forum when in a example of sheer stupidity I read fan proposed storylines except some were not as bad as this one.

Heck, makes NwN OC story looking good compared.

I dont need to step on s*** to know its s*** ... I just need to smell it.

And yes, you're right, it is possible to make a story around a jedi character and not have the player BE a jedi, the whole point is, obsidian aren't doing that. It's plain and simple.

Yes, too bad they show the same originality that ... a door.

You really want to make the perfect game for yourself, then I suggest you go literally make one and stop filling forum space with useless bitching.

There is no such thing as a perfect game, we have games that stand out in some way but really this looks like Jedi Academy (except Jedi Academy ACTUALLY had a decent story) that is the same old crap.

Besides I am doing more that you are, I am pointing out the problems I see and they can take my critics (that are voiced in the worst possible way because that is the only thing that works on message boards) and think about it or not.

My real control comes on release, were I buy the blasted thing or not and they want to sell it to me because I am part of their target market, if I dont that means they criticaly failed at some point.

P.S.

With that kind of attitude you sould post in BioWare forums.

drakron.png

Actually I don't think.

Again, I don't think.

You know there are far more games I praise then I bitch at. Hell people can probably name all the games that I bitch at, whereas no one could probably venture all the games I absolutely love.

edit: It's like saying this about your beloved ps:T. "don't make me be another incarnation of the nameless one... let me be something else... I don't care if the story revolves around this key kind of character..."

PS:T, is hardly my beloved. And the nameless one is blank slate that starts as a fighter. However, you can easily turn into a mage, or a thief. I am not familiar with the planescape setting, so I don't know what other classes it could have provided.

My kids are probably more mature then you, and you are calling me a baby? Anyhow, I change enough diapers every week to want to actually have that happen to me. But anyway, there are a lot of people who seem to like my suggestion, and since I am basing my suggestion off,

THE CORE STAR WARS CRPG RULES!!!!!11111!!!

Then it sort makes sense why someone would want that in a

STAR WARS CRPG!!!!1111

Didn't BIS add more options to Snowblinds BGDA? I think its only natural to expect the same from BIS/Obsidian.

People making such poor analogies should not be calling other people an idiot. I have never heard of you're sorry arse, where is all this hostility coming from?

Anyway, for those who of us who actually care to read, I think it has been stressed already that if the game is in late development then all this is a moot point.

Why don't you do the same. Keep in an open mind that is.

Maybe he wants a job where he does not have to be worried about getting laid off, or paying too much in taxes, but just enjoys playing them and giving his opinions during development. Don't be a forum fascist.

edit: something still can be done, but let's just think a little. You really think they will change the story? Sounds like your setting yourself up for a failure, and then what? ... morree bitching... sweet mother of....

Do you know that you are bitching about bitching?

It would be cool to be able to play as a non-Jedi during an entire game, but this is knights of the old republic, as someone has already said. And Jedi get lightsabres, so i'd prefer to play as one :o

No one is telling you to not to play a jedi.

choice = a sufficient number and variety to choose among

Don't confuse me with PLIN the FASCIST!

ooohh, someone can't take a little open-mindedness can he?

Most people are very sure this is for KOTR2, it doesn't take a genius to figure it out.

Heh, I smell ignorance my friend, and a dash of arrogance. The fact is, you don't know much about the story, you know what a few paragraphs of a magazine told you. It's fine to make a judgment on a story this early in development (before you've even played it), but it's still stupid.

and aaaaahahaha you think jedi academy had a good story??? let alone a good star wars story?

Wow...

Jedi Acedemy was basically a first person shooter with third person light saber and force parts added to it. It was a simple action game, not much more than that.

And it's story was ass... oh no... someone is sucking force out of old jedis graves ... don't use that massive force power to rule the galaxy!!!

You aren't just pointing out problems, your being cynical and pessimistic for no good reason other than your arrogance.

Even without your measily consumer status, many, many, many kotor fanboys will buy this game anyways and make them rich.

Anyways, think what you want, I'm done.

Actually I don't think.

Again, I don't think.

You know there are far more games I praise then I bitch at. Hell people can probably name all the games that I bitch at, whereas no one could probably venture all the games I absolutely love.

PS:T, is hardly my beloved. And the nameless one is blank slate that starts as a fighter. However, you can easily turn into a mage, or a thief. I am not familiar with the planescape setting, so I don't know what other classes it could have provided.

My kids are probably more mature then you, and you are calling me a baby? Anyhow, I change enough diapers every week to want to actually have that happen to me. But anyway, there are a lot of people who seem to like my suggestion, and since I am basing my suggestion off,

THE CORE STAR WARS CRPG RULES!!!!!11111!!!

Then it sort makes sense why someone would want that in a

STAR WARS CRPG!!!!1111

Didn't BIS add more options to Snowblinds BGDA? I think its only natural to expect the same from BIS/Obsidian.

People making such poor analogies should not be calling other people an idiot. I have never heard of you're sorry arse, where is all this hostility coming from?

Anyway, for those who of us who actually care to read, I think it has been stressed already that if the game is in late development then all this is a moot point.

Why don't you do the same. Keep in an open mind that is.

Maybe he wants a job where he does not have to be worried about getting laid off, or paying too much in taxes, but just enjoys playing them and giving his opinions during development. Don't be a forum fascist.

Do you know that you are bitching about bitching?

You guys have horrible comebacks.

My whole point was just this(and that you guys are arrogant ****):

Don't bother bitching about obsidian forcing you to be a jedi, it's innevitable.

Pretty simple guys.

Given "open-mindness" is categorized as "being receptive to arguments or ideas", your attitude on this very thread is quite the antithesis of it; specially because you're claiming others can't take a little open-mindedness when you're actually not accepting it yourself, and the others you're accusing of not accepting it are the ones fostering it, after all.

Uh, you!

Most people are very sure this is for KOTR2, it doesn't take a genius to figure it out.

OMG ITS NOSTERDAMUS!!!!!

Dude, you're not bringing anything constructive to the discussion.

(EDITED)

I am as open minded as everyone else.

At one point people belived the Earth was flat.

Heh, I smell ignorance my friend, and a dash of arrogance. The fact is, you don't know much about the story, you know what a few paragraphs of a magazine told you. It's fine to make a judgment on a story this early in development (before you've even played it), but it's still stupid.

I read enough, the basic (Last Jedi, Jedi Civil War, no Jedi Order, Republic falling) is the same as the OT and even if SWKotOR did used the OT themes they make a new story with then, this "story" is such a rip-off of the OT that anyone can see it.

Also ignorance is something I dont have, I do know enough about Star Wars to wonder how the f*** this passed LucasArts control.

and aaaaahahaha you think jedi academy had a good story??? let alone a good star wars story?

Wow...

Jedi Acedemy was basically a first person shooter with third person light saber and force parts added to it. It was a simple action game, not much more than that.

And it's story was ass... oh no... someone is sucking force out of old jedis graves ... don't use that massive force power to rule the galaxy!!!

I said DECENT and a lot it was because RAVEN DID THEIR BACKGROUND CHECK, everything they used actually worked with Star Wars (they got Marka Ragnos name right, unlike a certain canadian developer) as stuff like that was already shown in books and comics.

Also Jedi Academy was a FPS like the rest of the Jedi Knight series, I was not expecting a RPG ...

You aren't just pointing out problems, your being cynical and pessimistic for no good reason other than your arrogance.

I see a problem with that story line, I have no problem with saying that.

If I see they use the same s***ty force power system you can be sure that I will complain about it.

Even without your measily consumer status, many, many, many kotor fanboys will buy this game anyways and make them rich.

Because they are fanboys and so stupid people.

I own FF VIII, IX and X but I pass FF X-2 for several reasons (one being the black borders of s***ty PAL conversion) and even if it really did not stop EA and Squarenix from making money it was one less buyer (and FF X-2 appears to not done well in PAL so I am not a isolated case)

Anyways, think what you want, I'm done.

:o

drakron.png