GOG DRM FREE OPTION CONFIRMED

Still going to be going Steam here. Wish I had the money to back for Beta testing, it would be nice, as my temporary stint as a QA tester for Activision is coming to a close soon.

If you don't mind me asking, why exactly would you still go for the Steam version when there is a DRM free option?

They want to give the people different options which is a good think if you ask me. First they prefered Steam because some people like it because of its achievement and community systems and because it's already very popular and many people have nearly their complete game collection on Steam.

Oh I get why Obsidian would offer both. I'm specifically asking Badprenup why he wants the Steam version over DRM free. I've never actually seen somebody explain why they want a DRM copy over a DRM free copy.

After all, you can still throw non-steam games into your steam library, I do it all the time. I cannot imagine achievements alone (really that's the only bonus to steam over gog) would get somebody to choose a Steam copy.

For me it's not just a DRM issue but a convenience one. I'm pretty old-fashioned, I like the fact that GOG just lets me download and install. I also like their vibe as a company. I also use Steam, I buy games on it and stuff so I'm not being doctrinaire, but I like the freedom of GOG.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I've never actually seen somebody explain why they want a DRM copy over a DRM free copy.

I'll choose the 'DRM option' because I really like the Steam platform. When it's done downloading it's ready to play, I can uninstall and install with a few simple clicks and my friends are on Steam as well - which makes MP games easier.

Fortune favors the bald.

I've never actually seen somebody explain why they want a DRM copy over a DRM free copy.

I'll choose the 'DRM option' because I really like the Steam platform. When it's done downloading it's ready to play, I can uninstall and install with a few simple clicks and my friends are on Steam as well - which makes MP games easier.

Ah, awesome. Thank you. Exactly what I was wanting to hear.

Easy management of updates is another possible reason.

I want to doubt that. Especially when it comes to mod-support. I still remember GTA 4. Many mods didn't work with the newest patch but I didn't have a choice to play without it because my Steam version installed the latest patches automatically. So (I confess) I got a second pirated GTA4 with the right game version to play all the great patches available.

It would be good patch management if Steam would let me choose whether I want to install a new patch or not. The automatic system isn't quite satisfiying.

35167v4.jpg

EAsy management of updates is actually not a valid reason in my book. The best update option is always having an update button in the launcher with patches also being available on the games site if you prefer to manually patch the game rather than press the update button.

That may be your perspective, but it's not one that everyone subscribes to. Having the system automatically patch your games so that they are always ready to go when you are is a benefit to some people. I can't say that it alone would persuade someone to choose Steam, but I have seen it brought up before in discussions about why people like Steam

Technical merits of GOG & Steam aside, people will generally choose what they are already familiar with. Steam has huge exposure, so it makes sense that they would be the first digital distributor to look at - CDPR even released Witcher 2 on Steam (and that version was even censored, IIRC), which presumably sold well there.

For me personally, I always prefer GOG over Steam - Steam is fine, but the client has some annoyances, and it adds an unneeded layer (in my case) between me and my software. Which is why today's announcement is good news. But hey, each to their own and all that.

That may be your perspective, but it's not one that everyone subscribes to. Having the system automatically patch your games so that they are always ready to go when you are is a benefit to some people. I can't say that it alone would persuade someone to choose Steam, but I have seen it brought up before in discussions about why people like Steam

Such system is rather convenient but sometimes it is better not to update a game at all or to update it not to the last version. Sometimes patches introduce new bugs that best to be avoided (look at Skyrim and Creation Kit as examples).

Such system is rather convenient but sometimes it is better not to update a game at all or to update it not to the last version. Sometimes patches introduce new bugs that best to be avoided (look at Skyrim and Creation Kit as examples).

Very true. This is why I'm not a fan at all of Steams auto-updating. Sometimes game breaking glitches slip through.

Not only that but sometimes when a game is updated old save files no longer work, we all have seen it happen before with various games out there. Steam just updates you, no choice unless you disabled updates before the patch came out. With an update button in the launcher this fixes that potential issue.