I think death rules should be kept as they were on Baldur's Gate 2, but the cost of resurrection should be raised.

I agree with this. I have an additional thought as well. When exploring a dungeon, the party comes across a particularly tough encounter. You win, but you sustain a few loses. After looting, you go back to town and heal. Afterwards, you go back into the dungeon two or three days later in game time and continue right where you left off. This always bugged me. Why doesn't the dungeon repopulate? Why are the traps not reset? Wouldn't the enemy be using the time since you left to resurrect their dead and bolster their defenses? I think that if the party should be allowed to resurrect and heal at an inn mid-dungeon dive, then the enemies should too. Unless the dungeon is fully cleared or some checkpoint has been passed inside, then there should be no option to leave and come back.

• Like 1

having the characters drop unconscious without dying outright is good, as long as there is no get up at the end of the fight and just wait a few seconds to regenerate your hp.

the characters that didnt get KO'd in the fight, will have to actively heal those that fell to a positive hp value and the wounds suffered should stay until you are properly healed and not just regenerate... this is not call of duty after all.

and that brings me to another option of this system: enemy casualties. when you fight wolves, bears, zombies, and other non sentient creatures you just kill them outright and you're done with it. but what if you get into a bar, meet a party of adventurers that are in a bad mood and want to pick a fight with you? their KO's should be just like your party's. they go down at 0hp, but dont die unless you finish them off. at that point you may get all sort of options. just kill them and loot them (you may get in trouble with the law depending on your status), loot them without killing them (you get less loot but dont risk other trouble), heal their leader (after the looting) and interogate him to see if he knows anything of interest and so on

Edited by teknoman2
  • Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I think death rules should be kept as they were on Baldur's Gate 2, but the cost of resurrection should be raised.

I agree with this. I have an additional thought as well. When exploring a dungeon, the party comes across a particularly tough encounter. You win, but you sustain a few loses. After looting, you go back to town and heal. Afterwards, you go back into the dungeon two or three days later in game time and continue right where you left off. This always bugged me. Why doesn't the dungeon repopulate? Why are the traps not reset? Wouldn't the enemy be using the time since you left to resurrect their dead and bolster their defenses? I think that if the party should be allowed to resurrect and heal at an inn mid-dungeon dive, then the enemies should too. Unless the dungeon is fully cleared or some checkpoint has been passed inside, then there should be no option to leave and come back.

I like this idea but I'm not sure if that could be implemented easily. I would rather prefer always respawning enemies with less strength or number, e.g. if you have cleared a map or dungeon and you would come back after some time there would be new enemies but not that much and not that strong as before because they have to gather strength first (over time). And of course important bosses would be gone forever. ;)

35167v4.jpg

"Whew they left, that was real close - they almost got into our secret loot lair."

"Yeah. Okay lets reset the traps before they get back."

"Um...sir, they killed Krograk the Trap-Setter."

"Damnit man, then get Qurda the Healer to resurrect him."

"They killed her too."

"Bugger."

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Thinking about it, I personally wouldn't mind a system that was basically along the lines of the BG2 one, but instead of death your companions (and even PC) would go into a sort of "Critical Condition" instead. They'd be perhaps out of things until the encounter was ended, and then would need at least some kind of a healing potion or spell to revive, and on top of that couldn't fully heal, instead only being able to heal by so many HP or a certain percentage of their total HP (for example, maybe only up to a 1/4 of their total HP, rounded down). It would be up to the player to get them to a Temple, hospital, etc. within a certain time frame (for example, maybe 24 hours) and if the character in Critical Condition is reduced to 0 HP again while in that state, then they would die. On top of that, perhaps while at the Temple or hospital, they would require a certain time period to heal up, meaning players couldn't use them during that time (for example, maybe they'd be out of commission for 5 days, and/or perhaps the player needs to pay gold if they want them sooner than that). This would force the player to seek alternate companions while the injured one is recuperating.

I think a system along these lines would work better. It's still punishing, but not too much so, and means the player isn't faced with death as often, but still pays the price, and also has to work hard to keep companions from actually dying further without it being too much of a kick in the crotch. On top of that, perhaps there would still be insta-death circumstances that would bypass the Critical Condition state, such as the enemy scoring a Critical Hit on the attack that reduced the character to 0 HP or if certain rare conditions are met during the fight, such as certain spell combos or spells reacting to certain factors based on the target.

Edited by Terror K

image-163149-full.jpg?1348680770image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100
15327.jpg

The amount of people who are against losing in games aggravate me greatly. When punishment for being bad at playing a game is as light as in many recent RPGs, enjoyment is always curtailed. Victory should be hard to achieve otherwise it's meaningless.

What is up with this sadistic mindset? You get enjoyment out of bad players being constantly pounded into the ground and then kicked in the nuts by infuriatingly difficult gameplay? How about you just sit in your cubicle and play the game on the "Masochist" setting, and not worry about how others may like to play the game. Believe it or not, many people love RPGs for the stories, setting, characters and immersion. I'd argue it IS what makes an RPG, not the bloody difficulty level.

Edited by Gibbscape_Torment

I get enjoyment out of triumphing in challenging conditions. Naturally, schadenfreude doesn't enter into my enjoyment of single player games.

In any case, following your line of reasoning, if you don't like the combat in a combat centric game, you can play the game on easy, if you want. Following quest resolution lines where combat is unnecessary is also an option.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: