Bioware + ME 3 + Ending + All over the news?

Arkan

I didn't want to put this in the ME3 thread, as I've not played it, and want to avoid spoilers.

I haven't posted in a while either, so, hey everyone.

I've been playing Skyrim recently, and was going to get ME2 and 3 after I was done with it. Then I'm seeing news articles on Yahoo and other website about a fan outcry for the ending of ME3. I'm like WTF? I didn't read any of the articles (again, to avoid spoilers), so I'm not so sure what all the fuss is about.

In general, is it THAT bad? Did they just not finish it? More to the point, should a developer really change the ending to their game because people don't like it (from a philisophical standpoint). I can see the point in "alternate" endings.

Moreover, if I get the game at a later date, will it have the new ending or the original ending? This whole situation seems weird.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Yes it's that bad. It fails on every level possible. A lot of the backlash has to do with it being the opposite of what it was claimed to be by Bioware. It's like a "perfect storm" of ****ups and circumstances.

Not really possible to go into detail without spoilers.

As to whether or not there will be a new ending, depends who you ask. Officially it was "clarification".

Edited by BobSmith101

It kinda sucked, but not bad enough for all this craziness. No game could suck enough for that.

that's a big part of the point, though, the rest of the game is really (or "pretty", depending on how jaded you are) good, it just comes entirely apart in the last five minutes (apparently because the project director and lead writer are idiots).

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

90% of the game is fairly good. They weave in elements from the earlier games (to greater or lesser extents) fairly well, even if at times it's more of a quiet nod then something significant.

The main issue is that after all the "your choices matter in how the game will end" and Casey Hudson outrightly saying that "there won't be an A, B, or C ending"

What you get in the final 10 minutes is pretty much "Choose A, B, or C button to press to get a different colored sequence, that might have about 5 seconds different depending on the button press" and it doesn't matter what choices you'd made in the previous games, those choices and what happens are going to be the same..

Some people object to the dark/grim aspect of the ending, I don't. What bugs me is it seems to jump the shark. Doesn't link up coherently with everything before hand, and adds a whole bunch of questions and no real sense of closure. Not exactly what you'd expect from the finale moment to a trilogy..

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Do we really need another thread discussing this? Last 15 pages of the ME3 topic ought to suffice.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

If this forum software supports merging, this would be a prime candidate to go with the "ouch bioware" thread... unless you're gonna merge that, too. :p

/back seat moderator

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Do we really need another thread discussing this? Last 15 pages of the ME3 topic ought to suffice.

I was avoiding those threads due to spoilers, but if it is to be merged, so be it. I think I have my answer.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I think we can simply continue the discussion in the other ME threads now. All good that you wanted to avoid spoilers Arkan. :)