Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Editions Announced

Lorfean

Was the BG pathfinding that bad? I thought the NWNs and other games were worse. But can't hurt to improve it, it did have its quirks.

Yeah it could be pretty bad (cough FIREWINE cough) and got worse the bigger your party was. The twisty under-city dungeon in BG itself, towards the end of the game, was awful.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I'm really interested but the ability to mod it is a bit of a deal-breaker for me.

Mod support has been confirmed by latest twitter "Mod support will be improved...".

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

No way did anyone SERUIOUSLy try to claim that the IE had better pathfinding than Aurora. LMAO

BG fanboys. L0L

Well that's a funny joke. I spent at least 2 years just playing on Russian persistent-world shards and there were more ways to get mobs stuck on just a small piece of stone laying on the ground than I care to remember. I don't remember anything of the sort in the IE. Like I said, IE managed badly the fact that someone was blocking the path. Aurora managed badly everything, including texture on the tiles (tiles with teeny-tiny stones could block a dragon and get him stuck forever, it wouldn't be anything out of the ordinary). I remember getting stuck in texture myself a thousand times, so please...

Edited by Delfosse

No way did anyone SERUIOUSLy try to claim that the IE had better pathfinding than Aurora. LMAO

BG fanboys. L0L

Well that's a funny joke. I spent at least 2 years just playing on Russian persistent-world shards and there were more ways to get mobs stuck on just a small piece of stone laying on the ground than I care to remember. I don't remember anything of the sort in the IE. Like I said, IE managed badly the fact that someone was blocking the path. Aurora managed badly everything, including texture on the tiles (tiles with teeny-tiny stones could block a dragon and get him stuck forever, it wouldn't be anything out of the ordinary). I remember getting stuck in texture myself a thousand times, so please...

You're fighting a losing battle there. The man thinks NWN is the best thing since pre sliced bread. You'll notice he replies to well reasoned arguments with nothing but persistence, so you shouldn't waste your time.

Volourn, stop contaminating the topic. If you're not a fanboy/interested/whatever you want to call it - in BGEE then piss off.

Volourn, stop contaminating the topic. If you're not a fanboy/interested/whatever you want to call it - in BGEE then piss off.

While I agree with you in principle, I literally laughed out loud at the irony of you of all people saying it.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

While I agree with you in principle, I literally laughed out loud at the irony of you of all people saying it.

There's a difference. I am critical of BW's games, but I try to offer an argument/prove a point most of the time - he's just rude to everyone who doesn't agree with him. Obviously, if I criticise BW I'm interested in them, at least enough to talk about the game if I'm not going to buy it. He isn't, he's just baiting the new guy for no good reason.

There's a difference. I am critical of BW's games, but I try to offer an argument/prove a point most of the time - he's just rude to everyone who doesn't agree with him. Obviously, if I criticise BW I'm interested in them, at least enough to talk about the game if I'm not going to buy it. He isn't, he's just baiting the new guy for no good reason.

...in years gone by, lad, 'twas quite the sport 'ere, so if yer lookin' fer the dwarf ta " be reasonable & lay off the trollin' ", good luck ta ya... :no:

...oh, an' BTW; much as it pains me ta admit, he be right, IE pathfindin' was terrible... :yes:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

The pathfinding wasn't good, I won't disagree with that. I got into a habit of selecting shorter routes but even so the characters had a tendency to go the long way around, if one was available.

The aurora engine was no better. Getting stuck on a small rock/terrain features was, as Delfosse said a regular problem. Used to get around that by leading my char with the keyboard.

But then, who cares about the aurora engine or NWN, the only good thing that came out of it was the Witcher.

But then, who cares about the aurora engine or NWN, the only good thing that came out of it was the Witcher.

Some shards used to be better than any modern day MMO. The possibility of creating mods with user-friendly GUI and scripting with nothing but simplest of the C knowledge, that propelled NWN multiplayer to places where no man has gone before. From what I understand, it didn't create a boom in the West (correct?), but in Russia it was extremely popular. People used to compete at making the best PVP characters and there were some really crazy builds, like a sorc with extremely high AC and tons of Petrification spells, the main strategy being - spam Petrification in order to catch its victim rolling a 1 on a save throw. Or a sorc/pal that couldn't kill anyone, but had a 1/day ability to inflict a thousand damage to evil characters if connects. Etc etc. Tons of drama over some unique loot. Some really tough PVE encounters. GMs creating interesting quests where half people used to die and lose their gear forever. Epic stories of treachery. Those were some good times.

Muds and UO were better of course, but NWN multiplayer was good too.

Of course the main story in NWN was so ****ty, I never even finished it. Same can be said about its addons.

Well, in these parts (those being Serbia) everyone was playing pirated games at the time because there were no originals and with the lack of widespread broadband NWN was to most people as good as its campaign + add ons - which is to say either good or crap, depending on previous experience. I was enthusiastic at first, but the campaign killed it for me.

Sad thing is, when I bought a copy - in the forgotten realms deluxe package - it didn't work. Neither, to this day, do the expansions. It keep on requesting the cd, even though its in the drive. Bioware's updater didn't fix it either.

I was disappointed, but I bought the package for BG and ID, so I just chucked it along on the pile of other disappointing crap BW did.

"Volourn, stop contaminating the topic. If you're not a fanboy/interested/whatever you want to call it - in BGEE then piss off."

This is the most hilarious thing I've read in a long time. The irony is off the charts. LMAO

btw, i am interested inthis project. As much as you are in BIO games,. But, when people state stupid stuff like 'IE pathfidning is better than Auora pathfinding' they need to eb told no theya re simply wrong. btw, I don't think IE pathfinding is the worst buit it is certainly not better than Aurpra.

Also, lots of people care about Aurora/NWN. The game was/is a lot more successful than BG was.

Also, Twicther sucks. The onyl good thing about that game was b00bies.

There are thingas they can do to get me to buy this updated BG but I doubt they have the balls to do it.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Also, lots of people care about Aurora/NWN. The game was/is a lot more successful than BG was.

And what do you mean by that? Shouldn't maybe you be told being wrong? ^^ As far as the scores by Metacritics and GameRankings go both parts of BG series show some of the bigger notes than NWN (slightly, but they are de facto bigger), and in case of the total number of the copies sold only the first BG has sold out somewhat parallel to the NWN, while BG2 was quite more succesful than Neverwinter Nights ;)

Edited by Ilphalar

"And what do you mean by that? Shouldn't maybe you be told being wrong? ^^ As far as the scores by Metacritics and GameRankings go both parts of BG series show some of the bigger notes than NWN (slightly, but they are de facto bigger), and in case of the total number of the copies sold only the first BG has sold out somewhat parallel to the NWN, while BG2 was quite more succesful than Neverwinter Nights ;)"

Nope. It was made ve clear that prior to DA 9and the games afterwrads), NWN was, by far, BIO's most successful game.

lol metacritics lol

oh man, i'm pretty sure volourn made an alt just to argue with himself

if not: Ilphalar should be wary around the beast of 14,400+ posts

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

This claim is based on one statement by one employee of BW. You know, the kind they drop every time they release a new game of the "its our best game yet" variety.

So what if it supposedly made more money? The Titanic made more money than any film in history at the time, but that didn't make it a good film. Tons of games released after NWN made more money than it did, and that doesn't mean anything either way.

NWN's campaign was rubbish. Its expansions were above average at best. From a design perspective it was a step backwards even from BG1. The single/two member party combat was ridiculous taking away everything that was tactical about the DnD system. The graphical design was poor, even at the time (Morrowind was released at about the same time and it looked light years more advanced), and the graphics themselves are particularly aged and ugly now. The only thing that was good about it was the kit that came with it for modding enthusiasts and the multiplayer.

Its one full tool kit and half a game. Any comparison with BG, Torment, Fallout and any later BW RPG, even KOTOR, is a joke.

Now please, go away.

• Like 5

Nope. It was made ve clear that prior to DA 9and the games afterwrads), NWN was, by far, BIO's most successful game. lol metacritics lol

Your methodology is flawed. If you're going to judge the quality of the game from the standpoint of sales alone, which is an economic method, then in order to remain scientific, you have to adjust for:

a) inflation

b) the at-the-time exponentially growing PC video game market

We know the inflation rate, we can estimate the growth of the market, but we don't have the rough sales numbers. Therefore this methodology doesn't provide answers, because there are too many unknowns in the equation.

This method being invalidated, we can move on to another way of measuring the games' success, where critics or the audience would rate the game. In this case, on all sites, as far as I know, BG shows better results than NWN.

Don't be mad bro that NWN > BG. Just a fact, yo.

BG is a wanna RPG. NWN is a RPG. It's one of only two true RPGs in gaming, inf act. And, the better of the two.

Back on topic, this kickstarter freak show better do siomething to make a rerepurchase of BG series worth it. But, like I said above, they likely don't have the ballz to do what is required.

P.S. Delfosse is a fanboyw ho cna't see facts as they are. It's been confirmed that NWN was more successful than BG. It's undisputable unless you are a nutbar who lives iun Fantasy Land just like it's undisputable that BG2 is bettert han BG1.

Edited by Volourn

P.S. Delfosse is a fanboyw ho cna't see facts as they are. It's been confirmed that NWN was more successful than BG. It's undisputable unless you are a nutbar who lives iun Fantasy Land just like it's undisputable that BG2 is bettert han BG1.

Well even though your methodology is deeply flawed, I decided to google how those two games actually performed. Looky look.

Baldur's Gate Franchise

Latest Figure: 5 Million copies (2009 \ 2010)

Neverwinter Nights Franchise

Latest Figure: 3 Million copies (April 2007)

http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=447650

Looks like even using your own methodology you failed. Sorry bro. NWN sucks balls.

Edited by Delfosse

In accurate and out fod ate figures. L0LZ

You have an axe to grind against NW. BIo does not have an axe tio grind against either franchise so their words are more trustworthy in this case than your silliness.

Don't be a turd and amdit the truth. BG is overrated wananbe trash.

P.S. That list has so many inaccuracies. L0L It even disputes other figure on other games . L0LZ

Edited by Volourn

Well, it doesn't look like you can possibly be convinced through reasoning. A fanatic then. Okay. Just never met a nwn fanatic before, is all. A weird spectacle, pretty funny, too. It's like meeting a cacao fanatic, running around the office, trying to convince everyone that coffee and tea are disgusting liquids and that cacao sells better too, repeating 'cacao! cacao' on every corner. Okay, you crazy zealot. Relax.

• Like 4

...hehehe...hope you kids realizes that the dwarf jus' be trollin' ya's fer the sport...scary thing be that he truly believes some bits o' rubbish that spews from his pie-hole...sells that NeverWorkin' Right is the Greatest bullshyte wit'out a snicker; how, I dunno... :no:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

• Like 4

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Sadly, I must now do the disapproving paternal jig:

Let's get back on track and not get into mud-slinging, etc, etc. Continued handbagging will be frowned upon.