Merry Christmas!

Gorth

Seasonal greetings? Stuff it! Just sayin'

Last man at work, soon to call it a day and take some weeks off. Northerners might not know, but in this side of the world, it's the long school holidays season and most things shut down up until sometime in January.

Never cared about "Consumer Christmas" and all the hypocrisy involved in trying to outshop your neighbour, bowing for peer pressure, trying to show how awfully "christmassy" you are. Ho ho ho, here is my plastic card.

This is not the place to bleat about "There is no God" either, if you want to do that, well **** You too and get out of my thread. Militant Atheists are often worse than religious zealots (the Westboro open lunatic asylum congregation exempt from comparison). I'm not an Atheist and I would make a piss poor Christian so I'm a lost cause for both camps.

So, with that off my chest, wishing unification for those separated from loved ones, healing for those hurt, hope for those who despair, and those who lost someone may find something assuaging the pain.

Drop the presents (or buy smaller) and go donate to your favourite charity instead. Don't care what it is, Salvation Army, Shelter for Homeless Cats or whatever. Make the world a better place, not a more superficial one.

Merry Christmas

...or else ;)

PS: Dear Santa, I've been a good boy, can I have a turn based isometric crpg?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

As usual, I have no Christmas cheer. Of course, this time, I have a good reason.

First winter in Philadelphia, I've made some friends at school but too busy/lazy to do so elsewhere, so now everyone's off to their families and I'll be all alone. :) Not a huge deal since I have nearly as much work to do during the break as during the term. I'll need to find a couple of games to hole up with, too.

Funnily enough, I've so rarely *personally* seen a really properly/extravagantly done Christmas, so I don't even know how true/bad it is when people actually go all out consumerism. But hey, I guess Christmas sales get me too when it's on GOG or something. ;)

I'm with you, Gortho. And Noah S. Sweat:

"My friends,

"I had not intended to discuss this controversial subject at this particular time. However, I want you to know that I do not shun controversy. On the contrary, I will take a stand on any issue at any time, regardless of how fraught with controversy it might be. You have asked me how I feel about whiskey. All right, here is how I feel about whiskey.

"If when you say whiskey you mean the devil's brew, the poison scourge, the bloody monster, that defiles innocence, dethrones reason, destroys the home, creates misery and poverty, yea, literally takes the bread from the mouths of little children; if you mean the evil drink that topples the Christian man and woman from the pinnacle of righteous, gracious living into the bottomless pit of degradation, and despair, and shame and helplessness, and hopelessness, then certainly I am against it.

"But;

"If when you say whiskey you mean the oil of conversation, the philosophic wine, the ale that puts a song in their hearts and laughter on their lips, and the warm glow of contentment in their eyes; if you mean Christmas cheer; if you mean the stimulating drink that puts the skip in the old gentleman's step on a frosty, Christmas morning; if you mean the drink which enables a man to magnify his joy, and his happiness, and to forget, if only for a little while, life's great tragedies, and heartaches, and sorrows; if you mean that drink, the sale of which pours into our treasuries untold millions of dollars, which are used to provide tender care for our little crippled children, our blind, our deaf, our pitiful aged and infirm; to build highways and hospitals and schools, then certainly I am for it.

"This is my stand. I will not retreat from it. I will not compromise."

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

My christmas cheer resides in the 7 foot christmas tree festooned with lights and decorations.

I have to admit, when half the family have no seasonal cheer or desire to enjoy the decorations, it can be a wee bit of a problem getting that general mood going for yourself..

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Here, old boy. Have a an electronic mug of navy style condensed milk hot chocolate with cinnamon, a red jumper, and some singing urchins.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

We've never been very consumerist with our Christmases - well unless you think ANY gift giving is that. Normally get a person what they need and maybe one thing they'll enjoy. Means I'm going to get shirts and pants for Christmas, hmm. Very small affair too, which is kind of dull I suppose.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well, I'm divorced with no kids, and no family except a brother I talk to maybe once a month that lives on the other side of the country so Christmas is not a big deal to me. But I do put up a tree and get into it a little bit. I buy toys and goodies for the dogs and this year I'm making smoked venison jerky treats for them. I don't drink that much any more so there isn't much chance I'll end up drunk or anything. If the weather is nice I'll probably spend the day outside with the football games on my XM radio.

Plus this year I donated $1k to St. Jude Childrens Hospital and I went to Toys R Us and bought $150 worth of stuff to donate to Toys for Tots. But I do that every year. It does make me feel like I'm getting sombody something for Christmas.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Well, I'm divorced with no kids, and no family except a brother I talk to maybe once a month that lives on the other side of the country so Christmas is not a big deal to me. But I do put up a tree and get into it a little bit. I buy toys and goodies for the dogs and this year I'm making smoked venison jerky treats for them. I don't drink that much any more so there isn't much chance I'll end up drunk or anything. If the weather is nice I'll probably spend the day outside with the football games on my XM radio.

Plus this year I donated $1k to St. Jude Childrens Hospital and I went to Toys R Us and bought $150 worth of stuff to donate to Toys for Tots. But I do that every year. It does make me feel like I'm getting sombody something for Christmas.

Good man. :bat:

I haven't sorted much for Christmas besides the food, and a couple of gifts. Had meetings to sort out first. But come Wednesday I'm running down the shutters and concentrating on good cheer.

-Elwood Blues

First winter in Philadelphia, I've made some friends at school but too busy/lazy to do so elsewhere, so now everyone's off to their families and I'll be all alone. :* Not a huge deal since I have nearly as much work to do during the break as during the term. I'll need to find a couple of games to hole up with, too.

It can be a strange feeling when the brain realizes, that old friends and family are on the other side of the world and you can't just stop by for a cup of coffee, it can take a bit getting used to :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I really miss my mum. :banghead:

-Elwood Blues

The company Christmas party is today at the Peabody Hotel of all places. After that I'm going on vacation until January. Our company is a small one and our team is pretty tight knit so this will be enjoyable I think. My last company was huge and the work enviorment was somewhat hostile so it makes for an uncomfortable party.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Blitzed the house again today. Probably only one more blitz needed to get it parent standard.

Some people find it odd that I live most of the time like a student. My answer to that is "Ever notice how much fun and work students get done?"

-Elwood Blues

Nice tree Raithe. Ours looks a bit funny because there are no ornaments hanging on the first three feet.

Kidproof?

Nice tree Raithe. Ours looks a bit funny because there are no ornaments hanging on the first three feet.

Kidproof?

Kid-tested, more like. We had a few of the durable ones near the bottom, but my son requisitioned them for other spots in the house. He is 18 months, a little over 2 foot tall and a bit of a terror. I caught him kicking open a present the other day.

My daughter is 4, and she's actually more difficult because she can reach much higher. She is better at following directions, but it still is tough to have anything breakable in her reach. I told my wife to put away any of the really sentimental ones for a few years.

Christmas is the best time of the year. All the family gathered, eating great food, a whole lot of presents and ofcourse the snow. The holiday season also brings the out the nostalgia in you. I'll be taking a christmas vacation starting tomorrow until januari the third to catch up with all my games of the past and watch my favourite movies from my childhood. Die Hard, Gremlins, Ghostbusters and Superman I is a must.

Merry Christmas everyone!

P.S. Hat's of to you Guard Dog. What you did was exceptional. You might think that you're alone on christmas, but rest assured you made several kids very happy.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I want to wish all my Pagan, Witch, Wiccan and Wizard friends a joyous, safe and prosperous Yule. May the gods bless you and yours this winter solstice! And for the record the pagan holiday is where xmas comes from. So thanks for celebrating our holiday! :lol:

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

Proper preparation seems to be holding everything together so far. Non-alcoholic, ginger based drinks and elderflower things... nuts... luxury healthy cereal... _5_ kinds of herbal tea. And plenty of beer and meat for the non-freaks. Boiler is holding steady for the heat. Fresh bed-linen in the dryer now for changeover to ensure maximum happiness sleep tonight...

Off out now for the inevitable missed things on the shopping list. Need apple brandy for the pheasant.

-Elwood Blues

Proper preparation seems to be holding everything together so far. Non-alcoholic, ginger based drinks and elderflower things... nuts... luxury healthy cereal... _5_ kinds of herbal tea. And plenty of beer and meat for the non-freaks. Boiler is holding steady for the heat. Fresh bed-linen in the dryer now for changeover to ensure maximum happiness sleep tonight...

Off out now for the inevitable missed things on the shopping list. Need apple brandy for the pheasant.

Sounds great Wals!

My wife and I are doing chicken and double baked potatoes for Christmas lunch. We brine the chicken overnight with rosemary, then we cook the bacon in the oven for the potatoes. We leave the bacon fat in the tray and then put the chicken in the oven, and it actually flavors the chicken with a bit of a bacon taste. It's very tasty. We are also doing brussel sprouts but I haven't figured out how we will prepare them yet.

Merry Christmas Eve everyone!

Merry Christmas Eve folks. I was going to go fishing today but the weather had other ideas. So, I've got a venison stew slow cooking in the crock pot and some ice cold Sam Adams Winter Lager in the fridge. The NFL kicks off in two hours, life is good!

Thomas Sowell

We decided to try the more relaxed route.. Ordered all the assorted food for Christmas and Boxing day from Waitrose.

So basically it's all prepared, you pick it up a day or so before hand, and then it's pretty much ready to slide in the oven.

Of course, for a "take the stress out of christmas" approach, it hasn't gone so well. Ever since we ordered it, every single day my father has done the "so where do I have to pick this up? when? will I have to pay for it?" We put it on a yellow sticky, and he still kept asking the questions.

Then pick up day and boom, they'd misplaced a box of stuff. So all we had ready were the beef wellington for christmas day, and the duck for boxing day. WIth none of the other stuff. Chased them up, got the rest of it.

Then at home, packing it away into the fridge.. and notice that the big platter of sushi for the post-christmas eating.. has got a "best before date" of the date we picked it up. :)

So today was spent working our way through sushi.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."