Investors now see Australia as a better place to invest than the USA or Germany.

Humodour

Your judges are subject to democratic controls and where they are not it is deliberate to ensure the independence of the judiciary.

Federal judges are not subject to democratic controls except by impeachment. That is why they have to restrain themselves from making law instead of honestly interpreting it. In modern history they haven't restrained themselves, which is why we have tyranny of the judiciary in this country.

Edit: A tyrant is defined as an illegitimate ruler, look it up.

You've elected - no pun intended - for the 'crack on' option.

Crack on, my boy. Have fun.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

WoD, politically I am with you about 80% of the time but you are coming off a little nutty here.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Edit: A tyrant is defined as an illegitimate ruler, look it up.

Tyrant

noun

any person in a position of authority who exercises power oppressively or despotically.

Yes, an illegitimate ruler that rules by fiat, exactly what a federal judge does. I already quoted Sotomayor, also Bill Moyers to Sandra Day O'Connor: "but the Constitution is whatever you say it means". But I'm the nutty one, fine.

Edit:

The word derives from Latin tyrannus, meaning "illegitimate ruler",
from Wikipedia. Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I would argue that the Supreme Court doesn't rule (or rather, doesn't act) "Despotically or oppressively" which is from the dictionary quote.

And a words root means nothing. Technically the term "Dictator" comes from an elected position during Rome for emergency periods that allows the person some unilateral powers, but they will be forced to stand down by the people and senate.

Edited by Calax

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

If a judge ignores the law and rules against you, when by law you were in the right, is he not being despotic and oppressive? I'll quote from an inscription in our courthouse, "Where law ends, tyranny begins"

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

If a judge ignores the law and rules against you, when by law you were in the right, is he not being despotic and oppressive? I'll quote from an inscription in our courthouse, "Where law ends, tyranny begins"

I've yet to see a Judge rule in direct contradiction to the constitution. They do use wiggle room created by nebulous wording of the document to rule on stuff, but they don't say "Sorry, you can't say what you want within your own home to your best friend" or "There is no way you're going to own any gun"

Tyrannos, greek, per OED. And originally had no bad connotations.

It was even offered as a reward or bribe, i.e. become tyrant of xyz region/province for 10 years etc.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The word derives from Latin tyrannus, meaning "illegitimate ruler"

Oh, wikipedia.

Wikipedia says all that. But apparently the English word derives from Latin.

The word derives from Latin tyrannus, meaning "illegitimate ruler"

Oh, wikipedia.

Wikipedia says all that. But apparently the English word derives from Latin.

And yet you automatically attached a connotation to the word.

The connotation is correct, whether you believe it or not.

Edit: May be you should read this: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/liberty-an...evin/1009207331 disclaimer, I haven't read it

Edited by Wrath of Dagon