The funny things thread part 3

Tale

I don't know many old universities where someone's door posters would be censured. I've seen all kinds of mental stuff over the years.

It's all a fucntion of what I call 'business grim'. The theory that acting really 'grown up' will magically infect any organisation with the magic of private enterprise! Universities of late are particularly guilty of this. It's pathetic, though. Like watching six year olds playing dress up.

In my experience really professional and focussed organisations don't just 'get away' with acting silly. They need to act silly to let off steam.

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I think that what made me blink the most is that the folks behind the censuring were taking the stand that the (to my mind) obviously humerous posters were potentially inciting violence due to containing words/imagery depicting death/acts of aggression...

Just.. very wtf.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Sometimes posters DO incite violence. But posters on the door of a university professor? I guess it all depends on the context and who the students are. It's not as if this was the KKK KGB Kollege of Khaos.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The "warning: facism" one seemed to be neat. The "when I kill you" would make me scared he's about to go postal.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The "warning: facism" one seemed to be neat. The "when I kill you" would make me scared he's about to go postal.

I don't know.. A big picture of Captain Mal with that quote from a cult sci-fi series would kind of go with a Professor who gets to make various irritated snarky comments at thesis students who constantly bug him...

I don't know many old universities where someone's door posters would be censured. I've seen all kinds of mental stuff over the years.

It's all a fucntion of what I call 'business grim'. The theory that acting really 'grown up' will magically infect any organisation with the magic of private enterprise! Universities of late are particularly guilty of this. It's pathetic, though. Like watching six year olds playing dress up.

In my experience really professional and focussed organisations don't just 'get away' with acting silly. They need to act silly to let off steam.

I have this on my door:

tone.png

And yes, there was an attempt by the uni to ban all posters etc. Obviously, enforcing such a rule against a couple of hundrer lawyers is too much of a pain to bother with, they probably oppress the linguistics people twice for us.

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

When I did my industrial placement back at uni, as the sole IT guy in the office I had a poster reading :

"We are the Willing,

Led by the Unknowing,

Doing the Impossible,

For the Ungrateful.

We have now Done So Much

For So Long - For So Many

With So Little

We Can Now Do Anything

With Nothing."

Although after a few weeks it was gently asked that it be removed since there was the potential of actual customers catching sight of it.... >_<

Haha, most excellent.

Also, I wasn't going to post just the above, but I was in the wrong thread. ;D

Edited by Nepenthe

The one I've seen most has to be the immortal line from military history:

"The beatings will continue until morale improves."

-Elwood Blues

Nearly died wheezing when I put the term 'sex change' into Google just now.

OK, that sounded a lot more dodgy than I meant it to. I'm doing research on aberrant psychology and culture.

Anyway, point is that all the spurious ads came up. My favourites are

"GenderChange|Cabling4Less"

and

"Gender Changer: We stock this item, quick dispatch."

:x:lol: :lol:

-Elwood Blues

-Elwood Blues

The one I've seen most has to be the immortal line from military history:

"The beatings will continue until morale improves."

I love that song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VwdpUXqq94

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=98069

Short of it, guy finds a book accidentally included within another book.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I've had misprints of stuff that did that a couple of times. I remember when I was young, I was a big fan of some disney minimag. Had a subscription for years. One issue came... and the second half of it was the first half reprinted upside down.

Reminds me of a friend of mine who used to work for the biggest book printer around here - he would often hijack the machine after work to make unique titles for himself. :o

Fortune favors the bald.

That's really strange, since the pages where it supposedly switches are two sides of the same page. Which just shouldn't be possible. That also conveniently makes it "unshowable" in pictures, but I can't think anyone even on the fake rumor-ridden 40k boards would crave attention that badly.

That's really strange, since the pages where it supposedly switches are two sides of the same page.

Where do you get that from? Looking at the pictures, I don't see support for that. You see Mitchell Scanlon (author of Descent of Angels) on 192. On 193, you see the title Mechanicum. So it was 192/193, which are different pages.

If you look in the PDF version of the Adeptus Titanicus manual there are all sorts of bored asides.

-Elwood Blues

That's really strange, since the pages where it supposedly switches are two sides of the same page.

Where do you get that from? Looking at the pictures, I don't see support for that. You see Mitchell Scanlon (author of Descent of Angels) on 192. On 193, you see the title Mechanicum. So it was 192/193, which are different pages.

Boom, missed that. My bad.